Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:56:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merthyr Services Enhancement  (Read 11913 times)
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 00:15:18 »

I've been informed that the additional services will come in at the May 2009 timetable change.
SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:26:02 »

Hi - I have been following this forum for ages and it is nice to see that people all over the FGW (First Great Western) area are interested in the Merthyr line upgrade.

Coming from and being a frequent visitor of Merthyr Vale, and as a regular user of the rail network for longer than I can remember (particularly the Cardiff-Portsmouth), I think that it is fantastic that this line is going back to 2tph for the first time - properly - since 1971. 

This valley has been neglected by the rail powers for far too long and is another step in the right direction - the more recent re-introduction of 2-hourly trains on a Sunday - chiefly at least one in the AM all year round was also a major plus. 

Not too many years ago ong ago Cardiff Railway was going to have just 1 train every 2 hours in the day would you believe!  About time we came into line (sic) with the other western valleys who have had a much, much better service even after the late-night trains were axed in 1991.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 10:33:09 »

Hi - I have been following this forum for ages and it is nice to see that people all over the FGW (First Great Western) area are interested in the Merthyr line upgrade.

Hello, SuperGlam ... and welcome to the ranks of posters.  Although the board was set up (and is targetted) at lines / stations served by FGW, I think it's fair to say that most of us are interested in connecting lines as very many journeys involve multiple companies, and wider areas / comparisions too.  Recently, indeed, in my role of administaror I added a few words to the board heading to help encourage news of other South Wales services ... as well as other London - Bristol, Exter, Banbury services.

I recall catching the Sunday train on at Troed-y-rhiw when it was afternoon only and occasional to put it mildly - dreadful weather and I was in a bit of a state; conductor took pity on me and I clambered into the guard's van with my damaged, punctured byke and rode up to Merthyr before heading back down.  Good to see the services blossoming since then and showing an excellent example of what can be done.

This valley has been neglected by the rail powers for far too long and is another step in the right direction ...

It's very heartening indeed for many of us to see these steps - to show it can be done. We have different players - in my part of the country ...
* We have First rather than Arriva
* We have Wiltshire Council rather than the Welsh Assembly
* and we have far more DfT» (Department for Transport - about) involvement that you have in Wales.
Actually, it's rather more than heartening - it's an example we can show them and say "why not follow this example?"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 23:41:30 »

WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) and ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) are trying to produce a decent service, to be fair to them.

There is even a cunning plan - go here and click on
"Sewta Rail Strategy - Prioritised Investment Programme" so you can see what's in mind.

The problems are Pacers, Platform lengths (being fixed), too much single line, and chiefly the Cogan to Cardiff Queen Street bottleneck.  The CQS bottleneck is already running at capacity in terms of tph.  Unless Network Rail agree, and they haven't yet, to the extra platforms and trackwork which includes widening the bridge over Newport Road the expansion will grind to a halt sooner rather than later because the Valley Lines will be running at capacity.

What they ought to do is exercise some real ingenuity and connect Coryton back to the main line north to Pontypridd.  Then you could run circuits round Cardiff and share out the load using the City Line.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 00:33:49 »

There is even a cunning plan - go here and click on
"Sewta Rail Strategy - Prioritised Investment Programme" so you can see what's in mind.

Ah yes, know it well.....

Does anyone have the figures / forecasts?

I have some info that is very close to what you require, from our friends at Jacobs (links below.)
http://www.sewta.gov.uk/PDF/Final_Report.pdf

http://www.sewta.gov.uk/PDF/SewtaPIP.pdf

Bit of a difference between the Sewta reports and the one contained in the link below.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/foi/responses/2006/september06/swindonwestburytrainsservice/greaterwesternoutlinebusines1103

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 17:06:58 »

Welshman has an interesting thought restoring the connection between the Cardiff Railway and the Taff Vale, which was built but never opened or used due to a dispute between the companies.

One of the problems the valley lines face is that although a lot of track and infrastructure has been taken out a lot was freight only i.e the four tracks from Radyr to Pontypridd some stations only had platforms on the main lines, because coal was king, passenger services were an afterthought. The original Abercyon station was an island platform for the Merthry trains with a single bi directional link from the Up platform to the Aberdare line which had a double line freight only connection bypassing the station.

So because there is an increase in passenger traffic it is not just a case of restoring old infrastrucure, new facilities will be required hence rebuilding Abercyon.   

SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 13:36:32 »

Just returned from a fortnight in south Wales the improvements to Merthyr Vale in particular is almost complete.

The old down platform is almost complete and has a huge ramp going down from the station square to it.  The new boards are about to be uncovered soon - including big billingual blue running-in boards.  There is not a "welcome to" board sadly but you can't have everything!  At the moment it does not look as if there will be a electronic board either - not sure if there is suppoed to be one and I don't think that we will have digital Doris either!  The new platform is not as long as the existing one and it looks like the old one may have a facelift by an identical ramp in the future.  The two shelters could then be opposite each other at the bridge end of the platform. 

The loop from just north of the old Black Lion has been in situ for a couple of months now - it goes all the way to just south of Troed-yr-hiw. At the Black Lion there will be a new linking bridge from the (historic) tramroad to the Taff Trail on a new tarmacced path.  Those of you who can remember the days of crossing at the bottom of the housing estate and walking over the main line and old sidings to get to what is now the Taff Trail are long gone!

At Abercynon South the new subway is taking shape and you cannot see much of the other (was disused) side of the old island platform through screening boards.  The new platform there is nearly completed with the new track to follow.  There is a new point at the top of the existing South plaform and one at the south end of the North one awaiting groundraising and connection.  The platform at North has been raised to make it seem temporary as clearly its days are numbered.   Although part of the old line was in situ to the new platform - covered by many years of rust etc that has now mostly been lifted.

Unfortunately Merthyr Vale, like most in the upper valleys, suffers badly from litter and vandalism so hopefully the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) from the shop on the square will cover the new shelter(s) if they are not as badly located like the current one.  With all the time, money and effort spent on improving this valley's service hopefully it will go some way to stamping out the ills that the railway attracts. 

John R

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 16:05:36 »

For anyone interested, this month's Modern Railways (just published) has an article on the work being carried out. Hints that it may be "nice infrastructure, shame about the lack of trains to run the service though".
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 16:11:31 »

Many thanks for your report on the Merthyr line improvement SuperGlam which I shall note when I read the article in MR (Midland Railway) that John is referring to.
SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 20:01:03 »

Good idea Welshman about restoring the Coryton - Pontypridd loop.  That would indeed show ingenuity!  Apparently only one train ever ran that line as a token gesture a great many years ago.  Anyway, a school is now in the way of where it came out of the woods south of Treforest!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 23:19:23 »

See my post in this thread
SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 21:11:24 »

The almost-completed new platform 2 at M Vale opened last Monday.  The existing platform is closed for modernisation - not sure if there will be a new shelter opposite the one on the new platform.  It would make sense as I said in an earlier post.

The local Merthyr Express paper gave this piece of good news - for the first service from that platform for 37 years... nothing.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 21:32:56 »

Thanks, SuperGlam!

Interesting that wikipedia is also 'a bit out of date' on this 'good news' development? see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merthyr_Vale_railway_station .

The litter problem certainly seems to have been there in September 2007, though: is it better now?

Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 18:57:29 »

That optical illusion of 2 platforms in use seems like a clean day at the then-eyesore that is Merthyr Vale station.  It is not quite the worst in the valleys for litter/grafitti but it is up there with the likes of Porth in my opinion - sadly.

What the picture does not show well is the rubbish towards the camera on the scree-like slops on the then-disued platform.  It took the workers ages to clear it all - it looked like fly-tipping but it is not - all by hand I am afraid.  With the old trees etc being taken away litter will stand out a mile - I hope we are not going to go back to the bad old days.  Mountain Ash is an example of a modernised 2-platform station that has/had quite a lot of litter - or at least the last time I travelled up those valleys they did.

The new platform does look much cleaner but unless a bin is put there (the last one on the other platform got used as a brazier) it will always sadly attract litter. I don't blame the adopters (an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) initiative) for not clearing stuff like smashed Lambrini bottles, fag ends and other things you would not put your hands near - on both platforms. 

As for graffiti - the words on the bridge have been there for at least 25 years!  I hope the workers remove that also before the official re-opening (if there is one).

SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:31 »

New service starts tomorrow -we finally catch up with the Rhonddda and Cynon Valleys.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: