Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:32:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Williams Review - 1st deadline: January 18, 2019
  • Williams review - final inputs: May 31, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Williams-Shapps Plan for Rail / Great British Railways  (Read 57695 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2021, 16:41:57 »

Also no TOC (Train Operating Company) timetable staff & no staff required to determine cause and attribution of every delay. No fares staff either. Slimmed down TOCs will result in cost reduction and potentially cheaper contracts to run trains.

Timetable planning is labour intensive and might still need nearly as many staff as today, but employed byGreat British Railway (GBR (Great British Railways)) rather than by each TOC.
The savings in staff involved in delay attribution will be welcomed except by those put out of work.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 13:38:17 by VickiS » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2021, 16:45:54 »

MR (Midland Railway) already have floors of timetable staff that check & approve TOC (Train Operating Company) bids and re-bids. I doubt they’ll need (m)any additional heads
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2021, 16:51:25 »

Also no TOC (Train Operating Company) timetable staff & no staff required to determine cause and attribution of every delay. No fares staff either. Slimmed down TOCs will result in cost reduction and potentially cheaper contracts to run trains.
It does say though that as numbers recover, long distance operators will have more autonomy and commercial freedom (page 31).  It expands on this on page 58 by saying:
As passenger numbers recover, contracts will be fexible and include the possibility for operators to act more commercially on some services, when this is the most value for money option and it is fnancially sustainable for the operator to take on these responsibilities. As that happens, operators on those routes, predominantly the long-distance ones, will be able to make more decisions including setting more of their own fares and taking more revenue risk – though affordable 'turn up and go' fares and seasons will be protected,
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2021, 16:53:08 »

MR (Midland Railway) already have floors of timetable staff that check & approve TOC (Train Operating Company) bids and re-bids. I doubt they’ll need (m)any additional heads

Good point. Whom is "MR" ? Typo for NR» (Network Rail - home page) ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2021, 16:54:38 »

Indeed, but what happens to those staff before that ability kicks in?

Yes, typo for NR» (Network Rail - home page). Sorry, on iphone keyboard
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2021, 18:09:30 »

Passengers optimistic while unions concerned over Government railway shake-up

The words "strikes" and "conflict" feature.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2021, 18:18:54 »

Would that be the same unions that have regularly called for public ownership of the railways ?

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2021, 19:23:50 »

Would that be the same unions that have regularly called for public ownership of the railways ?

Now, do you mean public ownership, or public operation, or both, or none?...

A new public body called Great British Railways will specify the timetables...but private operators will still exist and run the trains.

Great British Railways will set the fares...except in some circumstances where the private operators will set the fares.

The devolved administrations will continue to award contracts and set fares...but Wales will have to do so jointly with Great British Railways in future, while Scotland will be invited to "explore options" for doing so. Both will be required to accept Great British Railways branding.

Great British Railways will eliminate the fragmentation endemic in the current system...except where allowing multiple "new and innovative bidders", community rail partnerships and open access operators to run local services creates even more fragmentation.

Now, I do appreciate the instinct to celebrate the apparent second coming of British Rail, and I dont want to come across as some Neo-Gallic version of Eeyore intent on raining on your parade but...

...It won't work so don't do it!!!  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2021, 20:29:28 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s report (earlier) - a nice passenger summary (though still some stuff in here which may be more principle than practice)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2021, 20:46:41 »

Now, do you mean public ownership, or public operation, or both, or none?...

A new public body called Great British Railways will specify the timetables...but private operators will still exist and run the trains.

Great British Railways will set the fares...except in some circumstances where the private operators will set the fares.

The devolved administrations will continue to award contracts and set fares...but Wales will have to do so jointly with Great British Railways in future, while Scotland will be invited to "explore options" for doing so. Both will be required to accept Great British Railways branding.

Great British Railways will eliminate the fragmentation endemic in the current system...except where allowing multiple "new and innovative bidders", community rail partnerships and open access operators to run local services creates even more fragmentation.

Now, I do appreciate the instinct to celebrate the apparent second coming of British Rail, and I dont want to come across as some Neo-Gallic version of Eeyore intent on raining on your parade but...

...It won't work so don't do it!!!  Grin

The new arrangements are not full public ownership, but are a significant step towards public ownership, and should therefore surely be welcomed by the relevant trades unions.

I personally have some misgivings and remember the faults of BR (British Rail(ways)), but think that this is PROBABLY a forward step.
My main concern is the civil service love of over complicating everything that they can.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2021, 21:02:02 »

I’d love to know what would have happened with the Williams review had the pandemic not happened and it’s measures instantly becoming far easier to push through!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2021, 21:16:56 »

I’d love to know what would have happened with the Williams review had the pandemic not happened and it’s measures instantly becoming far easier to push through!

Fascinating but hypothetical question.   We could discuss it long into the night summer and never come to an agreement at how it would have gone.

I speculate, though, it would have been called "Williams" and not "Williams-Shapps", with the government much more wanting to distance itself from those hard-to-push-through elements, and with no recovery-from-covid dividend it could take the credit for.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2021, 21:38:10 »

I speculate, though, it would have been called "Williams" and not "Williams-Shapps".

I think it is really interesting that Grant Shapps has added his name to this and I think it is very positive too.  A sign to me that the Government are really committed to implementing the plan. 
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2021, 21:50:04 »

I wonder if this Increase in Pay as you go journeys is to be driven off the existing fares database.

The one that tried to tell me yesterday that the cheapest ticket I could buy for a return trip from Oxford to Newbury with a senior railcard leaving at 09.32 was £31.25 and only 3 tickets where left.  This showed on my West Midland trains App and the National Rail Enquires App.

Further investigation found that this fare was the First class period off peak return available after 09:00 as is the Standard class day return at £9.60. Later trains showed the standard class fare.

As to why only 3 tickets where available is another mystery of the database.

I bought the £9.60 ticket and as I was already on the train I was aware that it conveyed standard and first class accomadation.

Looking at the same 2 Apps for tomorrow at 09:32 shows the correct standard class fare.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2021, 22:02:52 »

Is either service reservsable? If so, the system might be required to reserve you a seat - certainly on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Oxford-Reading, and possibly GWR (Great Western Railway) on IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) too. It would show only the class of seat left available.

For example, Cross Country franchise trains (XC) is sold out on most trains tomorrow afternoon already, with no tickets available « sold out »

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 13:43:37 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: