Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
06:28 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 07:24:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[112] The One-Way Wizzo
[56] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[56] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[41] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: A (personal) Christmas message, greeting and review  (Read 13521 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:38:00 »

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - however you spend them and whatever makes you merry - to all members, lurkers, casual readers, and to the moderator and admin team who have done so much for the forum over the year. THANK YOU - you are the people who make the forum.

This year has seen the majority of longer distance services switch from HST (High Speed Train) to IET (Intercity Express Train), electric operation extend outwards from London as far as Swindon, and Thames Turbos take over most services on a number of routes out of and based at Bristol.  We have seen a record level of major engineering stoppages, including the Berks and Hants for 50 days, Bristol Temple Meads for a major public holiday weekend, and Filton Bank and the Severn Beach line for a major period while 2 tracks were increased back up to 4.   All of these changes - and their teething troubles and side effects, and member's views on the current and potential future changes have helped us keep a very active forum.  But actually I suspect that the forum would and will remain active long after these works and the lesser program for next year are completed.

My personal interest in rail has been sparked by the TransWilts line and the need for an appropriate service for passengers between Westbury and Swindon, and the intermediate towns of Trowbridge, Melksham and Chippenham. From an unusable (to all intents and purposes) service that was running up to 5 years ago, "we" have moved to a thin but usable service now - one with significant gaps as the single train shuttles up and down trying to be all things to all men and women, and ceasing mid-evening because that's when funding for driver and conductor shifts runs out.  Passenger numbers announced a couple of weeks ago were disappointing - but did not come as a shock.   It's simply not possible to grow traffic when your train is so full and standing that the train manager has to walk along the outside, knocking on the windows and indicating to passengers to squeeze up in the aisle, nor will traffic grow when you have a very high cancellation rate due to [[[ well - whatever the cause ]]] and lots of trains replaced by buses which, being slower, abysmally fail to connect.  I'm actually surprised that we've done as well as we have.  Looking forward to the next set of figures - to be published December 2019 - I anticipate a performance which once again may have a lower growth rate than we would like to see, but never the less is good compared to other places around.  Much of this reduced forecast is due to what's happened already - we've lost the best part of 50 days through Newbury engineering works and are set to loose a further 12 over Christmas and the New Year, and although reliability has somewhat improved of late, there are still multiple days almost every week where multiple services are lost.

Looking forward to 2019, though, TransWilts things have improved for the future.  The one car trains (which we dearly loved because they provided us that vital foothold back on to the track of a passenger service) have been replaced by 2 and 3 car trains which have the capacity for growth, and at times they are running there are already indications that the growth has indeed started - the trains may look quiet, but count the passengers and they would no longer fit - even uncomfortably - into a single 153.  The platform at Melksham (along with one at Trowbridge and both at Dilton Marsh) have been lengthened to make operation much easier - no longer do trains of over 1 carriage have to pass dozens of passengers though a single door at Melksham.  And the new trains can be timed for a 90 mph top speed rather that 75 mph - at this point making the service a better timekeeper, but with speed up potential once the reliability is back on target.

The TransWilts Community Rail Partnership that's supported the TransWilts in its early growth has changed too. A new Community Rail Officer, paid for longer hours and with a professional background has replaced the previous incumbent - "part of our restructuring to increase the future effectiveness of our CRP (Community Rail Partnership)" says chair Paul Johnson in his press release. Personally, I would agree the need for a change in skills as an organisation moves from being a community start-up to a more traditional CRP with a board entirely of current and past local government representatives, but I would have changed the word "increase" to "ensure". The development with a team with professional fund raising, marketing, graphic art, people and organisational training is logical, but I don't share the view that the previous team was ineffective. Just look at the 2013 to 2018 growth compared to the 2001 to 2006 growth when an increased service was last tried. I look forward to seeing significant activity and excellent results from the TransWilts CRP through 2019, and that with local community partnership help which I hope they will embrace once they get their restructuring fully operational.

Melksham remains a special case. Unique amongst stations in the area, passenger numbers are not in a "steady state" for the area served; passenger journeys per annum per head of population remain abysmal.  The train service remains poor in frequency and reliability. The station access and facilities aren't great - the longer platform is just one step.  And for the first new years of the "trial" service, people could not commit long term to it, in case it didn't make the grade.  Onward service beyond Westbury is largely by way of connection - and some connections remain very poor indeed.  Through services - probably to Southampton atone end and perhaps to Oxford at the other, and an increase to an hourly service would (or rather will) do wonders.  And with this very local and gappy service that's hardly been reliable, there remains a lack of it being part of the daily lives of as many people as it should in the community, and with a need for the old traditional Community Rail treatment thats worked so well so far and elsewhere, but which is somewhat being superseded by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s new community rail strategy which the TransWilts CRP is embracing.  Being room for both approaches, expect to see much more in 2019 from the Melksham Rail User Group - which has been around for over 20 years, predating TransWilts, with marketing and events of its own at least once a year.  Their web site - with a fresh lick of paint - is at http://www.mrug.org.uk and there's a Facebook page and Twitter feed too.

The Coffee Shop has been around for a dozen years, and we've had discussions this autumn about the way forward. The outcome of a CCIF (Customer and Communities Improvement Fund) grant bid to look at putting us on to a stable footing for the next dozen years is awaited, and (yes) a "risk assessment" has been done to ask "what if we don't get the funding".  Over Christmas as the New Year, major site work is planned and I'm hopeful but not guaranteeing a new look for the new year, with software that's robust for the next decade rather that relying on deprecated software. Fortunately, I have a parallel server and an ability to step back / carry on as need be if it doesn't work well - unlike our friends in the railway industry who only have a single pathway available to them and are only able to work on the pathway in a very disruptive manner.

Over the last years, I have travelled quite widely to rail meetings and events; just in the last few months I've started looking around and noting who's a coffee shop member and / or reader.  And I've noted that you (our members / lurkers) are present in noticeable proportion - say 10% to 15% - at meetings around the region.  We clearly fill many gaps, and as we look forward with our new constitution(al) plans, we need to look at the cohesive whole, the whole picture as far as being strong advocates of public transport and encouraging both current and future passenger support and provision working within the current system as well as looking to help tune that system to help the passenger, and new / potential passenger too.   All sounds very much like community rail as many of the team have done it in Wiltshire until now, but on a wider scale, doesn't it?   The DfT's move from designation to accreditation of bodies come next April provides the potential for our body, when constituted, to be a forerunner in this area.  And that will absolutely be additional strings to the bow, which will support the ongoing forum activities.  Personally and family wise we are slowing down a little - the effects of time, but also a couple of clouds on the horizon, which we hope we will be able to help blow over. Part of the reason for the changes is to help ensure that the forum and other activities are not tied to or limited by the time taken with dealing with these issues.

2019 will be a different year to 2018, I'm sure, on transport too.  And everything looks like it's falling into place for both the rail industry, the local group in Melksham, the Coffee Shop, and others to start reaping the benefits of the investments we've all made this year and before, for the ongoing passenger benefits - and not limiting only to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s trains but other trains and buses in the area too - connectional and indeed separate journeys. i

The Coffee Shop will remain online over Christmas and the holiday period.  We have a service on 25th and 26th December, even if the trains and buses don't.  There may be some short breaks (I'll try to warn ahead), especially in the early hours, and I would recommend that you keep copies of major posts you make just in case I have to revert to backups once or twice - teething problems on software change are not unknown, just as they're not unknown on the railways.

Lisa and I, Gypsy and Billy, kids and grandkids are celebrating Christmas tomorrow rather than on 25th ... major work today to make the home child-proof. Whenever and however you celebrate, have a good one, and thank you for all your inputs and help over the year and years, and in anticipation of years to come. 

See you ... in the new year, if not before!  This forum is, truly, 24×7.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:44:12 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:05:21 »

And a Merry Christmas to you and family, Grahame and to all other forum members too.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:31:04 »

Grahame. perhaps you should change your forum sign in name for 2019 and subsequently to 'Double Track The Trans Wilts Line Through Melksham Now'.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:42:54 »

Grahame,
Thank you for all the hard work you put in behind the scenes.
Merry Christmas to you, your family and fellow coffeeshop members / lurkers.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:44:12 »

Yes, and a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all on here, sent by telegraph from a Signal Linemans Hut somewhere in the far Southwest.... Wink
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:19:32 »

Merry Christmas Grahame et al. from darkest Oxfordshire and best wishes to you and all for 2019
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 12:50:35 »

Grahame. perhaps you should change your forum sign in name for 2019 and subsequently to 'Double Track The Trans Wilts Line Through Melksham Now'.

OI! Your pinching my idea, I was the one who decided on two tracks for Melksham, I seem to remember.

And now we need to tell Network Rail to make a start in the new year, It would be completed by July.

And a merry Christmas from me, Network Rail and Great Western railway.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 13:04:55 by Dispatch Box » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 13:02:28 »

OI! Your pinching my idea, I was the one who decided on two tracks for Melksham, I seem to remember.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, don't let it spoil your festivities.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 13:04:28 »

And now we need to tell Network Rail to make a start in the new year, It would be completed by July.

Which year ?
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 13:05:48 »

Which year ?

2019 I would hope.

Not looking forward to Christmas as in 4 weeks time I have to move again, end of tenancy, Look for somewhere else, And letting agents are a pain, Needing six months upfront.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 13:12:23 by Dispatch Box » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 14:03:43 »

Steady now!

Merry Christmas, grahame, may your train be always on time, and may you never lose your loose change down the side of the seat (if you can get one)!

Now, please!
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 14:24:08 »

Merry Christmas grahame and every other member of the forum. Let’s hope 2019 will be more reliable and peformance is back up!

I have spent four days and one hour online since I joined mid this year.. gosh I need to get out more  Wink
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 15:03:34 »

Merry Christmas grahame and every other member of the forum. Let’s hope 2019 will be more reliable and peformance is back up!

I have spent four days and one hour online since I joined mid this year.. gosh I need to get out more  Wink

Hello!, Mine is 3 days and 15 hours and 39 minutes.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 16:40:58 »

Hello!, Mine is 3 days and 15 hours and 39 minutes.

I passed a month some time back (simper, simper). Must get out one day.

Now, please!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 17:31:43 »

A merry Christmas Graham and thanks for all your hard work over the years, both on this forum and on Trans-Wilts.  Without you it may not have happened.  However I will never get those 67+ days I have spent on Coffeshop back, and at my age that is quite worrying.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: