Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:56:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: A (personal) Christmas message, greeting and review  (Read 13441 times)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 18:00:44 »

To One and All.  Thank you for entertaining and enlightening me over the years.
My wife has often remarked on the amount of time I spend on here.
Wouldn't have it any other way!

Thank you.
A very Happy Christmas and New Year to you all.
Cheers ((Pouring himself yet another pre-Christmas beverage))

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 20:43:07 »

Every thread needs some drift - even this one!

Merry Christmas, grahame, may your train be always on time, and may you never lose your loose change down the side of the seat (if you can get one)!

Some years ago, I was on a late evening (9-ish) train home from Waterloo, and the bloke on the seat opposite was having a series of long phone calls to what turned out to be SWT (South West Trains) control. Each time he had to tell his story from the start, so I got to hear it too. He'd dropped his credit card down the back of his seat (why he had it out was not clear, as I understood he was going home from Waterloo). This seat was on top an equipment box, rather than just empty space, and he and the guard couldn't get it apart. So he'd been given this phone number to call, and eventually promised a fitter to join the train to help him recover the card. By the time I saw him he'd been out to Reading, back to London, and the fitter was due to be waiting at Staines on the way out. But wasn't there, so he was going to have to go back in towards London again, and he'd been promised that at Staines ...

On the thoroughly pessimistic principle of not wishing for too much from the future, lest the Fickle Fairy of Fate come round and smack you on the head with her (rather solid) wand, my I wish to Graham and everyone else for the coming year is for not too much of that kind of malarkey.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 20:56:37 »

... may I wish to Graham and everyone else for the coming year is for not too much of that kind of malarkey.

Thank you ... we thrive on some of the malarkey, though I would agree not that kind.  Watch out for interesting goings on in February, April, May, 2 in July ... and others later in the year.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 09:04:34 »

Thank you all for keeping the show on the road. Seasons greetings to all.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:03 »

Merry Xmas all - here's to a 2019 where GWR (Great Western Railway) give its customers a service somewhat closer to what they pay for and deserve!
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 09:50:44 »

Thanks for keeping the show on the road, and a very happy Christmas and blessed new year to all your family.

Thanks for the advent quiz - a lot of work for you, I am sure, but I am enjoying it - even if I am never up in time to claim those that i know.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 10:31:36 »

Thanks for keeping the show on the road, and a very happy Christmas and blessed new year to all your family.

Thanks for the advent quiz - a lot of work for you, I am sure, but I am enjoying it - even if I am never up in time to claim those that i know.
Way ahead of me there, the few I've been sure of were all wrong  Huh Cry

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 12:45:57 »

What a day, one more to Christmas, went to get petrol and then to Sainsburys, crikey it was bedlam, had a job to get into the carpark, then the place was rammed, all the food was flying off the shelves, Then the wait at the checkout, took 10 minutes.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 13:53:57 »

What a day, one more to Christmas, went to get petrol and then to Sainsburys, crikey it was bedlam, had a job to get into the carpark, then the place was rammed, all the food was flying off the shelves, Then the wait at the checkout, took 10 minutes.
Anyone would think the shops will be closed for more than one day never to reopen the way some people carry on buying way more food than they actually need with half of it ending up in the bin. Yet every year the same thing happens. Still, good for the credit card companies.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 14:34:51 »

Anyone would think the shops will be closed for more than one day never to reopen the way some people carry on buying way more food than they actually need with half of it ending up in the bin. Yet every year the same thing happens. Still, good for the credit card companies.

Yeah! Good for the credit card companies, I never buy food using a credit card, They are for emergencies, say the fridge breaks or an unusually high gas bill arrives. The reason you,d be paying for food too long, plus interest. My food bill a week is about 45 pounds, and I stick to it now. I have done this for 5 years and have savings of about eight thousand pounds, I am now thinking of getting a new bike next year.

I noticed in Sainsburys the items people had in their trolleys, why would you need 5 loaves of bread, 4 bags of sugar, 2 160 Tetley tea bags. They were a couple with two under 10 kids. They had enough to run a starbucks for a few days, ridiculous.

I paid off my credit cards through the year and capital one and marbles was closed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 17:06:52 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 14:48:05 »

People buying everything on the shelves just because it's Christmas is nothing new
However this year I can't help thinking that a lot of them are practicing for brexit!!..
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 14:55:29 »

People buying everything on the shelves just because it's Christmas is nothing new
However this year I can't help thinking that a lot of them are practicing for brexit!!..

Cannot see what difference that makes, anyway a lot of it will go off by that time. Also seem to have a lot more money this year and especially when you see the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) 1 News about the numbers still lining up outside foodbanks.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 16:27:30 »

Yeah! Good for the credit card companies, I never buy food using a credit card, They are for emergencies, say the fridge breaks or an unusually high gas bill arrives. The reason you,d be paying for food too long, plus interest. My food bill a week is about 45 pounds, and I stick to it now. I have done this for 5 years and have savings of about eight thousand pounds, I am now thinking of getting a new bike next year.

I paid off my credit cards through the year and capital one and marbles don't send me statements at the moment.
That's very sensible, and while I know a lot of people will say they can't afford not to borrow on credit cards, I do wonder how much of it is "nice to have" spending, rather than "need to have".

Of course, you can put all your day to day spending on a credit card and pay it off in full each month, rather than pay it directly from your bank account. My card gives me 1/2% off all my spend - I expect there are better offers available, but at least I feel I am getting some benefit from using the card.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 16:54:18 »

I paid off my credit cards through the year and capital one and marbles don't send me statements at the moment.
That's very sensible, and while I know a lot of people will say they can't afford not to borrow on credit cards, I do wonder how much of it is "nice to have" spending, rather than "need to have".

Of course, you can put all your day to day spending on a credit card and pay it off in full each month, rather than pay it directly from your bank account. My card gives me 1/2% off all my spend - I expect there are better offers available, but at least I feel I am getting some benefit from using the card.

Your lucky, I didn't get that with the two cards I had, And now have shut them down, They had expensive APR rates, about 39.4%. I have never been offered anything like that, the limits were only 200 pounds so were pretty useless anyway. The marbles one is crap, I had a 300 pound limit on that one,then it was increased to 500, then two months later they sent me a letter saying they were putting up the interest to 49.6% APR so I agreed to pay it off at the old rate then they closed it. Dirty thing to do really.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 17:05:56 by Dispatch Box » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 17:27:18 »

As do I. One gives me 0.5% cashback, the other 1% in supermarkets and 3% on fuel and train tickets. I rack up a pretty tidy bill over the month, and pay it all off - haven't paid any interest in years. Credit cards are a wonderful servant, but a cruel master.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: