Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:35 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:48:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Westbury North Junction Renewal December 2018 - January 2019  (Read 29084 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2018, 10:49:40 »

Thought I would start a new topic to cover this major engineering work.  Some early photographs down the page here: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

Come on you local people, where are the photographs?.... Wink
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 13:19:46 »

Thought I would start a new topic to cover this major engineering work.  Some early photographs down the page here: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/latest-input--news--old-pictures-etc

There's a thread already:-

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20359.0
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 13:38:50 »

Blowed if I could find it before I posted here!  Mods please merge and delete as required.... Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 15:20:45 »

Blowed if I could find it before I posted here!  Mods please merge and delete as required.... Roll Eyes

On so many darned lines ... always hard to know where to put Westbury topics!   Looks like I put the original under TransWilts on the basis that it's just about the most screwed up ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 16:11:03 »

Going that way tomorrow - will have camera !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 16:30:55 »

Thank you ... may we get some pictures of UK (United Kingdom) rail activity on Christmas Day  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 18:48:15 »

Thank you ... may we get some pictures of UK (United Kingdom) rail activity on Christmas Day  Grin

Please, This thread should stay as about the track renewals and not the whole Westbury routes.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 12:20:42 »

I think they,re going to be late, they are full of turkey.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 16:52:11 »

10 am today

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 17:02:15 »

Plenty of time to build out that disused platform!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 17:13:04 »

Clan Line, thanks for posting those photographs.  Looking at the station one its possible they have moved the pointwork leading to the Down Goods from the Platform line further away from the station, possibly leaving room to install a new turnout to feed the future Platform No.4 Bay.  One can but hope that some forethought (future proofing) has gone into it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 21:22:09 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 18:22:03 »

Clan Line, thanks for posting those photographs.  Looking at the station one its possible they have moved the pointwork leading to the Down Goods from the Platform line further away from the station, possibly leaving room to install a new turnout to feed the future Platform No.4 Bay.  One can but hope that some forthought (future proofing) has gone into it.

Slightly wider and straighter view of the station below...

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 19:36:33 »

Thanks again.  Looks as though there is enough room for the turnout I mentioned.  Even the new drainage pits are clear of the future track..... Cheesy
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 19:49:04 »

Thanks again.  Looks as though there is enough room for the turnout I mentioned.  Even the new drainage pits are clear of the future track..... Cheesy

Why have they not put a line along the platform, they could of ripped out that signal and laid a track easily, they don,t really need that line passing by surely. Also they seem to of used old design points, I always thought they used the new type now, like on the Filton bank. Also is that signal gantry going?. It,s gone a funny colour at the back.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 00:29:48 by Dispatch Box » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 07:15:33 »

The relaying, with the stated lack of even passive provision for a track along the spare face, is deeply frustrating.  I am writing very carefully indeed - someone might have said "we may as well ..." on one or two of the decisions made during the process.   

Network Rail does not have a great reputation in informing and interfacing with passenger groups and advocates for passengers - perhaps that's a natural function of what it is, responsible primarily to government and with its customers being the train operators, through whom (and that's a pretty foggy route at times) it talks to passengers.  It did its reputation no good when it decided that it no longer needed dedicates staff to interface with community rail groups, and delegated that task to more local staff, each with their own other jobs already and with limited resources and a very varied commitment and belief in working with communities.   So with that patchiness of partnership, lack of clear information, and the mistrust brought on by the reputation I (personal comment) find myself with fingers crossed, hoping for and dreaming of the best, but fearing the worst - hardly the informed position that I like to be in on a very big spend that sets stuff up for the net decade at our major hub / interchange.

OK - the fourth platform track.

The current outer track on the south side is well away from the platform face.   Two suggestions made are to extend the platform out to the track and provide a platform that way, or to add in a track.   Either option is said to be complex because of major signalling cable runs which lie buried in the former trackbed between the platform and the track.

Extending the platform out to the track - on top of the issue of the cables could be done either by a full heavy construction - which would require the cables to be moved - or perhaps by a lightweight construction which could "fly" over them and be supported on pillars clear of the cabling, with under platform access available for maintenance?   Pricing enquiries indicate that the latter could be an order of magnitude less cost than the £10 million quoted.

But wait - the outer track is already used.  Freight passes up and down it quite often, and it's used to park / lay by trains for periods a darned site longer than it takes to turn around a passenger train, and I really wonder if providing a platform on that track would be more a case of replacing one operational limit with another one.

A track against the platform - would love it, and for passenger 2 way cross-platform interchanges on 0/1 hewn headed south and west, and on 2/3 when headed north and east would make sense.  BUT ... how long are those freight trains that park up, and would they foul the points?     

We have been looking at the north junction in this thread - how would the extra line connect in to the south ... or would it end up as being a terminating bay?   A terminating bay might be initially attractive for trains from Paddington extended from Bedwyn, trains from Swindon, MetroWest trains from the Bristol area.  But in each of those cases, a bay would restrict extension beyond.  The Bedwyn service should carry on to Somerset or Devon.   The Swindon service to Southampton and Eastleigh (or to Fawley), and the MetroWest to Frome where huge development is planned on land close to the railway, and perhaps to Yeovil

No answers ... but background there to the best of my knowledge to some of the questions being asked.  I know the track needed doing, and I'm grateful.  I remain nervous about what's being done and that opportunities may have been missed, money being spent on one step when taking two steps together could have worked out cheaper and quicker in the medium and long term.  We may have experts here / reading this who can fill me / us in ... so that at least we know ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: