16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:36:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Westbury North Junction Renewal December 2018 - January 2019  (Read 28856 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2019, 08:46:09 »

A comment on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) photograph posted above.  This shows what is known in BR (British Rail(ways)) WR terms as a 'Post Office Relay Set' rack, well, the wiring side of it at least. 

Those tag blocks at the very top brought back some memories where they really were used by the Post Office and then BT.  In the early 80s a colleague and I discovered if you connected the relevant two tags which served the telephone extension on your desk you could lift the bar to making outgoing phone calls at work...  Wink
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2019, 08:50:28 »

A comment on the NR» (Network Rail - home page) photograph posted above.  This shows what is known in BR (British Rail(ways)) WR terms as a 'Post Office Relay Set' rack, well, the wiring side of it at least. 

Those tag blocks at the very top brought back some memories where they really were used by the Post Office and then BT.  In the early 80s a colleague and I discovered if you connected the relevant two tags which served the telephone extension on your desk you could lift the bar to making outgoing phone calls at work...  Wink

Yes, Bob.  I learnt a few tricks like that in my career.  I also spent many 'happy' hours at the top of a ladder making all the soldered connections on the tag blocks.... Roll Eyes Grin
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2019, 08:54:37 »

... I also spent many 'happy' hours at the top of a ladder making all the soldered connections on the tag blocks.... Roll Eyes Grin

Yes it did surprise me that such a key piece required a ladder to access it. In today's world it should never be designed like that as the designer is required to take into account the health and safety of the person constructing (and maintaining) the asset. 

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2019, 09:09:55 »

... I also spent many 'happy' hours at the top of a ladder making all the soldered connections on the tag blocks.... Roll Eyes Grin

Yes it did surprise me that such a key piece required a ladder to access it. In today's world it should never be designed like that as the designer is required to take into account the health and safety of the person constructing (and maintaining) the asset. 

Yes I know that.  But it was a different world then, when people were responsible for looking after themselves!  I wonder how many people actually fell off a ladder whilst doing work like that......and don't get me wrong on this, I'm all for modern H&S (Health and Safety) techniques but sometimes you can go too far and accidentilly introduce new, bigger risks, because its peoples natural instinct to 'have a easy life' i.e. take shortcuts.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:51:13 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2019, 09:13:40 »

Westbury signalling dates back to 1990, I believe (when Bradford North Curve was taken out) ... suggestion (but a few years back) that it was/is due to be replaced in 2026. So you're looking at outdated racks which would not be allowed new today?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2019, 09:22:13 »

Westbury signalling dates back to 1990, I believe (when Bradford North Curve was taken out) ... suggestion (but a few years back) that it was/is due to be replaced in 2026. So you're looking at outdated racks which would not be allowed new today?

I've carried out many projects in the past 10 years where we have modified and expanded older technology by replicating it with modern materials.  Not sure if you could get new PO Sets and Tag Blocks now though....

Of course for a totally 'modern' scheme it would probably be all electronic, although a few modern relay installations have been known (my last one was provision of the new passing loop at Axminster some 10 years ago now).

I wouldn't hold out much hope of fairly modern signalling installations such as Westbury being replaced too soon.  They can keep going for years and years with a bit of tender loving care you know.  I once had the honour of looking after Plymouth Panel which is now approaching its 60th year, and if looked after properly could be kept going for another 20 or 30 years yet!

I'll put my hankie away now.  Any news on how train services are recovering, or not, at Westbury now?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:52:32 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2019, 09:32:56 »

Just been up to Warminster Station to collect some tickets. Departure boards appear to be showing normal service.     There are 3 coaches parked outside - just in case !!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2019, 12:02:44 »

I've carried out many projects in the past 10 years where we have modified and expanded older technology by replicating it with modern materials.  Not sure if you could get new PO Sets and Tag Blocks now though....

Of course for a totally 'modern' scheme it would probably be all electronic, although a few modern relay installations have been known (my last one was provision of the new passing loop at Axminster some 10 years ago now).

I wouldn't hold out much hope of fairly modern signalling installations such as Westbury being replaced too soon.  They can keep going for years and years with a bit of tender loving care you know.  I once had the honour of looking after Plymouth Panel which is now approaching its 60th year, and if looked after properly could be kept going for another 20 or 30 years yet!

If it works, don't mend it. Unless you need the space, or can save money.

Now, please!
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2019, 12:08:59 »

I'll put my hankie away now.  Any news on how train services are recovering, or not, at Westbury now?

Would now, probably be idc blocks or krone blocks as a bt engineer once told me, I notice they have been used in stations to connect the cis screens to the main cat 5 cables. A grey plastic square box next to a screen.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2019, 14:17:49 »

Wonderful thing, Electricity. In my day, the turnouts at the 'London' end of the up and down loops at Castle Cary were shifted by the winding of a big dynamo handle - a bit like starting an old car. A big piece of basic equipment that, to my memory, never once let us down.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2019, 16:31:59 »

Definitely some memories surfacing here. When I used to work in engineering mnufacuring I remembering producing various items of kit in that standard PO Yellow (can't remember the BS standards number, 381C?).
I also have lurking in a tool box a PO contact burnisher, although that was Army issue for burnishing contacts on magnetos, on a Centurion tank.
Certainly showing my advancing years.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2019, 17:04:24 »

Wonderful thing, Electricity. In my day, the turnouts at the 'London' end of the up and down loops at Castle Cary were shifted by the winding of a big dynamo handle - a bit like starting an old car. A big piece of basic equipment that, to my memory, never once let us down.
Ah yes.  The wonderful point motor hand generator.  Not nice being on the far end of that when it got wound up to high speed by the signaller..... Grin
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2019, 17:35:10 »

Ah yes.  The wonderful point motor hand generator.  Not nice being on the far end of that when it got wound up to high speed by the signaller..... Grin

Just had a look inside one today in Princes Risborough North 'box. Describes itself as a '100V DC (Direct Current) Generator'.  That would give a bit of a tickle!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2019, 20:20:11 »

So while Westbury was up to this, we on the CPRR have just commissioned the largest - and possibly tallest - ground frame in GWR (Great Western Railway) history to work the Platform 4 run-around loop at our mainline terminus. The new 'Princes Risborough North Ground Frame' is about 6 metres above rail level; 5 levers - 121 spare and 6 spaces!
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2019, 20:47:33 »

Are there any of these still in use on the railway now?

and....

Are there any of those large disc signals on platforms in use, other than the one at Worcester shrub hill.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: