Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:59:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Westbury North Junction Renewal December 2018 - January 2019  (Read 28386 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2019, 21:16:12 »

So while Westbury was up to this, we on the CPRR have just commissioned the largest - and possibly tallest - ground frame in GWR (Great Western Railway) history to work the Platform 4 run-around loop at our mainline terminus. The new 'Princes Risborough North Ground Frame' is about 6 metres above rail level; 5 levers - 121 spare and 6 spaces!

How does it qualify as a ground frame rather than a signal box?
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2019, 21:19:03 »

So while Westbury was up to this, we on the CPRR have just commissioned the largest - and possibly tallest - ground frame in GWR (Great Western Railway) history to work the Platform 4 run-around loop at our mainline terminus. The new 'Princes Risborough North Ground Frame' is about 6 metres above rail level; 5 levers - 121 spare and 6 spaces!

Always thought a Signalbox had block codes, and between other boxes, a ground frame in my mind, works a local area, am I right?.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2019, 21:53:28 »

A signalbox controls entry on to the railway either through [say] absolute block working or the issuing of a single-line token. A ground frame is merely a slave - its working is released by either a controlling signal box, or in our case at present, the unlocking of the frame using the single-line token. One of my jobs today was assembling the frame release lock using the token.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2019, 22:07:22 »

Generally, we were taught, a signalbox is a place at which trains can be given or denied permission to approach or depart by communication with another such place.  In general terms, a ground frame has no routine means to allow a train to arrive or depart, other than with the permission of  the signalman(er) at its controlling signalbox.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2019, 23:02:00 »

... I also spent many 'happy' hours at the top of a ladder making all the soldered connections on the tag blocks.... Roll Eyes Grin

Yes it did surprise me that such a key piece required a ladder to access it. In today's world it should never be designed like that as the designer is required to take into account the health and safety of the person constructing (and maintaining) the asset. 

Westbury signalling dates back to 1990, I believe (when Bradford North Curve was taken out) ... suggestion (but a few years back) that it was/is due to be replaced in 2026. So you're looking at outdated racks which would not be allowed new today?

Remembering it being installed in 1984, when I was going to Bristol to government centre, for unemployed people, that turned out to be a waste of public money.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2019, 14:08:55 »

I agree.  Most of the Westbury area resignalling took place in 1983/84

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2019, 14:51:11 »

May 1984 Westbury area stage 1
Signalling notice on this link
http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/96/1984%20-%201%20Westbury%20Stage%201.pdf
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2019, 15:04:11 »

I agree.  Most of the Westbury area resignalling took place in 1983/84

Arguably, the fisrt step was the abolition of Westbury South Box in (I think) 1978.  The 99 lever frame was removed by volunteers from the West Somerset Railway, including me.  We drove a truck onto site, worked inside and outside the 'box (without PTS (Personal Track Safety) and other H&S (Health and Safety) related procedure and gear) over the space of a weekend to dismantle and remove the frame.  33 levers are now in use at Bishops Lydeard, 33 at Minehead, and I can't account for the other third of the frame.

Control of the junctions at Westbury South was transferred to a small panel contained in Westbury North Box.  This survived until replacement by the 1984 and present Westbury Power Box.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 17:30:21 »

Explanation of what happened at Westbury
Problem in the signalling system which needed a change to the design and retesting. It took several attempts to correct it. Video on Twitter

https://twitter.com/networkrailwest/status/1082273112031457281
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 17:53:21 »

Its all OK then as lessons will be learnt...... Roll Eyes Embarrassed
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2019, 18:53:31 »

Intriguing.  So why did it need a design change and why did that need several attempts.  Were the records wrong?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2019, 11:19:51 »

A few pictures from the new look Westbury taken yesterday

The signal at the country end of platform 2 is among those which has been moved to allow for longer platforms
Before

Now
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2019, 13:18:41 »

What a pile of rubbish they have left on the slope of that platform?. Looking at the pictures, Is it right to have a signal right on the platform, thought they would of moved it to the end near to that concrete path, and in that area of ballast. Could be a spad risk where it is. Then there is time to change them during the time that the station is eventually prepared for eventual resignalling.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2019, 13:24:28 »

Are you talking about the third picture down?   I assume it cannot be moved any further as it would then be too close to the set of points it protects.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2019, 14:03:59 »

Remembering it being installed in 1984, when I was going to Bristol to government centre, for unemployed people, that turned out to be a waste of public money.

Ah, Winterbourne!

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: