Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 12:58:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Boxing Day Puzzle (no pictures this time!)  (Read 2748 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2018, 22:48:47 »

To solve this puzzle I am looking for nine of these, all with a railway connection.

Two are Irish, one is Cornish, one Breton, one French and one is Armenian. There are at least two of one and four of another, and one has been adopted by a western nation.

Who or what are they?

Place them in the correct order.

There are two "odd ones out". Which are they, and why? The reason is different for both.

No clues will be offered during Boxing Day! (Having said that, from what I have seen so far from the knowledge of forum members it may have been solved by breakfast tomorrow.....)
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 00:39:32 »

To solve this puzzle I am looking for nine of these, all with a railway connection.

Two are Irish, one is Cornish, one Breton, one French and one is Armenian. There are at least two of one and four of another, and one has been adopted by a western nation.

Who or what are they?

There are two "odd ones out". Which are they, and why? The reason is different for both.

No clues will be offered during Boxing Day! (Having said that, from what I have seen so far from the knowledge of forum members it may have been solved by breakfast tomorrow.....)

Stations between Plymouth (or it might be Exeter, in which case David and Thomas are the first two) and Penzance (and branches) named after saints. I can't quite get nine from St Budeaux to St Ives.

The "foreigners" are Blazey (Armenia), Germans (Auxerre, France), Budeaux and Austell (Brittany), Columb and Ia (St Ives) from Ireland.

St Keyne was a woman - one of the odd ones out?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:38:03 »

Not totally sold on the saints ... trying to make Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blixen and Rudolph fit. Not doing hugely well, mind, even if there was a prince Rudolph of Armenia who was adopted by the USA.

Talking about Armenia ... did you know we have a short URL link to the forum with an Armenian URL - http://melksh.am/coffeeshop ...

Many thanks for posting the quiz eightonedee ... I look forward to learning what the real answer is during the day!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 08:22:06 »

Haven't a clue, but I expect that one of the odd ones out is Taunton - or perhaps Doublebois, which probably counts as two on its own.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:43:19 »

I'm looking at heritage engines but am resorting to search engines to get me started.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 12:49:12 »

Who or what are they?

Stations between Plymouth (or it might be Exeter, in which case David and Thomas are the first two) and Penzance (and branches) named after saints. I can't quite get nine from St Budeaux to St Ives.

The "foreigners" are Blazey (Armenia), Germans (Auxerre, France), Budeaux and Austell (Brittany), Columb and Ia (St Ives) from Ireland.

I've no idea if this is correct, but it's good to learn the name Blazey is Armenian. I'm familiar with the name from a different context (neither Cornwall nor Armenia) in which it always stuck out a little. Good to learn non-railway things here too.  Smiley

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 13:54:34 »

Who or what are they?

I've no idea if this is correct, but it's good to learn the name Blazey is Armenian. I'm familiar with the name from a different context (neither Cornwall nor Armenia) in which it always stuck out a little. Good to learn non-railway things here too.  Smiley

Your modesty does you credit Smiley

I still need to do some work on my "saints" theory. But certainly St Blazey is named after Blaise, who was Armenian.

However, the holes in my original thesis are that St Columba - after whom St Columb Road is named - isn't the better-known Irish Columba, and was a woman to boot - which torpedoes my earlier odd one out!
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 14:06:54 »

I'm baffled. the two Irish examples might lead us to think of sites where non-standard gauge is used (or was used) on major lines. Cornwall had the broad gauge, Breton & Armenia had metre gauge, and France probably had some as well (not sure where the gauge changes for Spain these days). Or perhaps something to do with no-standard track (e.g the strange three rail system in Ireland, and the vacuum system in Cornwall). Not sure if this leads anywhere so looking forward to the solution!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 21:56:11 »

Notwithstanding the "no clues on Boxing Day" promise, as the thread seems to have run out of steam early this afternoon, some follow...

When I checked this morning and started to read Jontymort's first post, it looked like it had been solved in the first hour of Boxing Day! Yes - it's saints.

However, to finish the puzzle, someone needs to think about where you start, and how they fit into a single sequence (or order). You will have to change trains however. And I did not have the gender of any saint in mind for the odd ones out.

I am in work tomorrow (not on the train - line closed). When I get home I will check to see if it's been solved, or if more clues are needed.

In the meantime, Jontymort, award yourself an extra spoon of cranberry sauce on your cold turkey sandwich for getting the main theme and many of the answers!

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 23:18:33 »

In the meantime, Jontymort, award yourself an extra spoon of cranberry sauce on your cold turkey sandwich for getting the main theme and many of the answers.

It's not the turkey, it's the extra glass of something that is preventing due attention to a full solution...

Best wishes,

Jonathan
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:44:36 »

All these Saint stations are covered by the Ride Cornwall ranger

St Ives aka Saint Ia (Irish)
St Erth (Irish),
St Austell aka Saint Austol (Cornish)
St Blazey aka Saint Blaise (Armenian) - plus odd one out - closed station, now Par
St Columb Road aka St Columb Major/Minor aka St Columba the Virgin (Cornish)
St Keyne Wishing Well Halt
St Germans aka Saint Germanus (French)
St Budeaux Ferry Road/Victoria Road aka St Budoc (Breton) - plus odd one out - not in Cornwall but used to be

There are 2 St Ives in the UK (United Kingdom)
There are 4 places named St Columb something

Alternatively

St Ives aka Saint Ia (Irish) - 2 places called St Ives in UK
St Erth (Irish),
St Austell aka Saint Austol (Cornish)
St Blazey aka Saint Blaise (Armenian) - plus odd one out - closed station, now Par
St Germans aka Saint Germanus (French)
St Budeaux Ferry Road/Victoria Road aka Saint Budoc (Breton) - plus odd one out - only name with 2 stations
Exeter St Thomas
Exeter St Davids - there are 4 places named St David in the world, and was adopted by the Welsh

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 12:41:11 »

All these Saint stations are covered by the Ride Cornwall ranger

Wow! Well said that man!
My remnants of my brain cell has been well and truly picked by alcohol over the last week so anything remotely thinking leaves me blank I'm afraid.
Fortunately I inhabit the far west of Cornwall so all those mentioned are manna from heaven (apart from the Devon ones of course).

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 19:57:47 »

Back from work, and having digested my cold turkey dinner - Plymothian (in his second version) has almost cleaned up. So just to fill in the gaps-

The hypothetical journey started at St James Park - there being at least two St James (the Great and Less). It was also an odd one out (ex-LSWR (London South Western Railway)/Southern, all the rest being GWR (Great Western Railway)).

The "at least four" one was St Thomas (Doubting/Aquinas/Becket/More) - so Exeter St Thomas, and with that each station/saint has a clue attributed to it.

Apart from that - take a bow!
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 20:28:16 »

Back from work, and having digested my cold turkey dinner - Plymothian (in his second version) has almost cleaned up. So just to fill in the gaps-

The hypothetical journey started at St James Park - there being at least two St James (the Great and Less). It was also an odd one out (ex-LSWR (London South Western Railway)/Southern, all the rest being GWR (Great Western Railway)).

The "at least four" one was St Thomas (Doubting/Aquinas/Becket/More) - so Exeter St Thomas, and with that each station/saint has a clue attributed to it.

Apart from that - take a bow!

Excellent stuff, and thanks for setting it.

I have only once done the Exmouth branch. We were down for a wedding, and my wife couldn't understand that the main thing to photograph in Topsham was the signal box. Some people, eh?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: