Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:40:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Axed Rail Lines Reopening Proposals 2018  (Read 7428 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:56:39 »

https://news.sky.com/story/axed-rail-routes-may-be-reopened-under-new-department-of-transport-plans-11591282

The only comment I can make is, don't give any of it to Network Rail to do..... Roll Eyes Tongue

Axed rail routes may be reopened under new Department for Transport plans
The announcement will give fresh hope to campaign groups, who are still fighting to restore services cut more than 50 years ago.

The Department for Transport has confirmed it is actively working with a number of groups to explore the possibility of reopening old rail routes, axed under the so-called Beeching cuts of the 1960s.

It follows a call by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling a year ago, encouraging those in the public and private sector to submit proposals for potential projects to regenerate old lines.

The announcement will give fresh hope to dozens of campaign groups across the UK (United Kingdom), who are still fighting to restore services cut more than half a century ago.

A spokesman for the Department for Transport told Sky News: "We are continuing to grow the rail network to deliver improvements for passengers, unlock new housing and support the economy, including by exploring opportunities to restore previously lost capacity.

"We have received a wide variety of proposals to enhance the railway from across the public and private sector, and are working with promoters to explore opportunities to re-open routes cut under Beeching.

"This is on top of exploring reopening the Northumberland Line for passenger use, supporting the reinstatement of stations on the Camp Hill Line, developing new rail links to Heathrow and a new station at Cambridge South."

The spokesman said that due to the confidentiality issues around its market-led approach, the department was not yet in a position to release details of the proposed projects, but hoped to be able to provide more information in the year ahead.

Dr Richard Beeching became arguably the most infamous name in the history of Britain's railways after he proposed almost a third of the network should be axed to try to regenerate the country's failing and unprofitable rail system.

Despite countrywide protests, by the 1970s around 6,000 miles of track had been lost and more than 2,300 stations closed.

In the years since, many campaign groups have continued their fight to have services restored and a growing number have been successful, with around 50 axed rail routes reopened.

The most successful example of a Beeching axe reversal is the Borders railway in Scotland, which largely follows the route of the old Waverley line between Edinburgh and Carlisle.

Three years ago, a 35-mile stretch of the track was reopened between Edinburgh and Tweedbank in the central Borders.

The Queen and Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon took a train journey down to the Borders to mark the return of the service.

Campaigners are now fighting to convince the Scottish and UK governments to reopen the rest of the line, through the Borders biggest town Hawick and down to Carlisle.
They point to the enormous success of the Borders railway, which has seen passenger numbers far exceed the levels predicted.

The managing director of Scotrail, which runs services on the line, is very supportive of efforts to expand the route.

Alex Hynes said: "We've demonstrated, when we build it, people will come.

"And more than three years after the opening of the Borders Railway, we have welcomed our fourth million customer onto the route.

"You might expect that three years after opening, that growth would tail off now, it hasn't.

"On the Borders railway that growth is actually accelerating which means we are going to have to operate longer trains on this route and I think there is more growth to come as well."

Mr Hynes said the restoration of the line had already impacted communities along its route in a very positive way.

"Economic studies have already shown a huge boost to tourism in the region and if you look at the amount of house building along the line of the route, the Borders railway is connecting parts of Scotland with some of the lowest economic value per head with the capital, enabling people to access jobs, opportunities, affordable housing," he said.

"It's a great economic success story for Scotland."

The rail chief has regular meetings with campaigners and others, as efforts continue to extend the line south.

"We want to see a bigger and better railway for Scotland, that will include line openings, I hope," he said.

"Ultimately it is a matter for government, depending on where the extension goes to, UK government as well.

"But we are very happy to support continuing work to look at the feasibility of extending the Borders railway further."

For the moment at least, the Borders railway terminates in the small community of Tweedbank, anyone wishing to head further south has to take the bus, car, or other means of transport.

Around 25 miles south of Tweedbank, the town of Hawick has been badly impacted in the more than 50 years since the loss of its rail service.

Before the line reopened to Tweedbank three years ago, Hawick was the furthest centre of population from a rail station on the UK mainland.

The closure of the main line through the town impacted business and saw Hawick's population shrink by more than 2,000.

Marion Short, vice-chair of the Borders Railway Campaign, regularly walks along the old railway line, heading south out of Hawick.

She told us: "The whole Borders was hit by the railway but Hawick particularly, it was a thriving industry town full of mills and the line's closure led to its demise I think.

"That was the end of it and things have gone downhill since then."

However, Ms Short said she was becoming increasingly confident that the rail line could be restored.
"We feel, based on the success we had on the first part south of Edinburgh, it has now given us the impetus to go forward," she said.

"People don't you just want the railway to come to Hawick, we want it extended through to Carlisle."

The relative success of efforts to restore long-closed rail lines comes against a backdrop of growing criticism of the state of large rail infrastructure projects like HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) and Crossrail, billions of pounds over budget and behind schedule.

Campaigners Sky News spoke to said they felt short changed by the emphasis that is nearly always placed on rail services in the south of the country, at the expense of often vital rail links to more remote communities.

Ms Short said: "Given that everything else is behind schedule and going over budget, we think it's just a little bit of the pot that we need here.

"I think, unless you live in a rural area, people don't actually understand about the social isolation and the fact that there is no connectivity between communities.

"Speaking to ordinary individuals in this town and across the Borders, we feel somewhat cut off."

More than 130,000 people have signed our petition - have you?

Around seven miles south of Hawick, a stretch of the old Waverley line is still running today, thanks to the efforts of a group of railway enthusiasts.

The Waverley Route Heritage Association has restored around a kilometre of track and runs several old engines on the route as a tourist attraction.

One of the heritage association's members, Bill Renwick, said he believed regenerating the old line could be relatively easily achieved.

"It's very doable, there's a tunnel not far from here where there's a small rock fall at the front," he said. "But that tunnel could be opened out, or re-lined.

"There isn't an engineering problem they couldn't get over.

"Hopefully, the Scottish and English governments, with the borderlands initiative, could make a really good case for it and get it straight across the border."

Along much of the old Waverley line, many the bridges, embankments and tunnels are still in place.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:07:28 by SandTEngineer » Logged
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 14:12:52 »

The article sounds very similar to something that the government released a year or two back about reversing Beeching and reopening/rebuilding railway lines.
Question is, does this indicate that the policy is moving forward or is it just that they want to reuse a previously successful PR (Public Relations) stunt?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 14:27:17 »

The article sounds very similar to something that the government released a year or two back about reversing Beeching and reopening/rebuilding railway lines.
Question is, does this indicate that the policy is moving forward or is it just that they want to reuse a previously successful PR (Public Relations) stunt?

Talking about reopening lines is cheap and popular; actually doing it is less so.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 17:13:35 »

Portishead........ Nuff said 😀
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 17:44:55 »

Many not taking this too seriously, eg Richard Bowker on Twitter

You feel for those who fall for this absolute tosh. It’s unhelpful - gives false hope to those dreaming of reopening a whole raft of ludicrous schemes. When will people learn basic economics - just because a 2x2 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is full does not justify £350m capex being spent on it!! 

https://twitter.com/srichardbowker/status/1077939060826624001?s=21
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 17:48:23 »

I thought Portishead was reopening next year with platform 2 being renumbered at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 18:04:19 »

...just because a 2x2 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is full does not justify £350m capex being spent on it!! 

I'd not heard of Richard Bowker, but having googled him I can see that he has experience in this area... I'm intrigued though; if you can't justify running trains when they're full, how can you ever justify them?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 18:59:41 »

A Tory government undoing a 50 plus year old Tory government policy ………………

Nothing like a U turn.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 19:30:51 »

...just because a 2x2 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is full does not justify £350m capex being spent on it!! 

I'd not heard of Richard Bowker, but having googled him I can see that he has experience in this area... I'm intrigued though; if you can't justify running trains when they're full, how can you ever justify them?

I know where he's coming from; aware of the sums.  Local trains run at a slower average speed than expresses, spend more of their time stopped or turning around, have lower fares per mile, are shorter so more staff per carriage, and tend to have very sharp peaks where the longer distance trains may stay relatively busy all day.   Often they're running on dedicates lines without freight of other passenger trains at relatively infrequent intervals, to maintenance costs have to be met over fewer services.   And traffic tends to be in one direction in the morning and the other in the early evening, so a full 2 or 4 car inbound may be followed by a nearly empty outbound run one the same train. Of course all that lot coming together on one line would be a perfect storm ...

Need to look also at the wider economic benefit, and how you feed some of that benefit into the coffers of the people who are running the trains and maintaining the track.   Also need to encourage people to use trains that are not full during the rest of the day, but running anyway.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 20:50:14 »

I thought Portishead was reopening next year with platform 2 being renumbered at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)).
The Portishead rail website shows 2022 with a question mark next to it! How long has this farce been going on despite an overwhelming business case for its reinstatement? Delay after delay.... I wouldn't take the recent article on reopenings with a pinch of salt. More like a gritter lorry full of the stuff!
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 21:30:50 »

The Portishead rail website shows 2022 with a question mark next to it! How long has this farce been going on despite an overwhelming business case for its reinstatement? Delay after delay.... I wouldn't take the recent article on reopenings with a pinch of salt. More like a gritter lorry full of the stuff!

You would of thought Bristol city council would of forced them to reopen it, Who is in authority to reopen old lines, is it Teresa may.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 21:46:09 »

This is all nonsense. I very much doubt, given their record, if Tory government is never going to implement a programme of re-openings. More likely the story is a cover for impending bad news..
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 07:58:12 »

This is all nonsense. I very much doubt, given their record, if Tory government is never going to implement a programme of re-openings. More likely the story is a cover for impending bad news..

They wont, they will expect local developers / authorities etc to fund it, the best the government will do is ease some rules on what funding can be used on.  Its more likely the cost of potentially reopening a closed railway line will be used to justify the building a new road or converting an existing road to dual carriageway

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 08:56:55 »

They wont, they will expect local developers / authorities etc to fund it, the best the government will do is ease some rules on what funding can be used on.  Its more likely the cost of potentially reopening a closed railway line will be used to justify the building a new road or converting an existing road to dual carriageway

Rail (and road) funding is a longer term thing.   I am in some doubt as to whether the current Tory government is a longer term thing, and wonder if we worry too much about the current playing board when a lot of different pieces may be there in the not too distant future.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 10:43:17 »

Governments of either stripe have failed rail consistently through misguided policies and through feast and famine funding. I'm all for placing blame where it's due, so let's not forget that Barbara Castle closed more route mileage than Marples, and Blair's government only reopened 400m (that's metres) of track during their time in office. Thatcher balked at the Serpell report and then asset-stripped BR (British Rail(ways)) as traffic grew.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: