Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:14:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is there to do in Melksham?  (Read 18845 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 22:15:37 »

Looks like this Sunday, there will be no trains through Melksham, looks like buses according to GWR (Great Western Railway) timetable.

Looks like Westbury is shut down again.

Wasn't the 12 days of Christmas long enough to do the works, or are there things to finish?  Rail Industry source from last November suggested only one more weaken stoppage in the first half of this year between Salisbury and Bath Spa, and that to be in the Spring.

Confused story for next few weeks.  GWR Engineering poster have REVISED flashes across the corners and talk of trains changed, not running, turning at Chippenham ... but GWR ticket engine offering tickets for the trains that the engineering posters say are revised .... I am not helped by being very tired at the end of the day, and the engineering posters having the dates at the top then you have to scroll down to see each day - denoted by the day of the week only and not with the day number in the month.   I think it's designed as an intelligence test, and I have used up my daily quota!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 22:21:51 »

The GWR (Great Western Railway) website, planned engineering section, suggests that the Melksham service most Sundays will be altered; some slightly others Sundays have complete bus replacement.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 07:37:40 »

In answer to my own question "what is there to do in Melksham" - rather "what is there to see?"

Intended for those readers who know Melksham ... a quiz on the Melksham Rail User Group web site to see how many of the places around the town the residents themselves know. http://www.mrug.org.uk/quiz.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2019, 21:29:28 »

In answer to my own question "what is there to do in Melksham" - rather "what is there to see?"

Intended for those readers who know Melksham ... a quiz on the Melksham Rail User Group web site to see how many of the places around the town the residents themselves know. http://www.mrug.org.uk/quiz.html

What is there to do in Melksham? Well you could always pop round to grahams and have a cup of tea, and perhaps a couple of wagon wheels.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2019, 00:08:45 »

The fun to be had with FHW's name above the shop.

Take the Y off HARDY and put it in place of the second I in WILLIS.

Some scamp in Taunton did just that in the early 1990s. No, it wasn't me.

I was holding the ladder.

Apologies for quoting myself, and sorry to grahame that it's not about Melksham, but rereading this post reminded me of some local Taunton news this week. The town's longest trading store, The County Stores, is closing down this Saturday, 19th January 2019, after 183 years serving the people of Taunton.

I have two abiding memories of this store.

The smell of the coffee they roasted on the premises, which vented out the front of the shop above the window. Apparently, olfactory memories are the most persistent. It was a lovely heady aroma. I now associate the smell of freshly roasted coffee with Saturday childhood visits to town with Grandma. The County Stores stopped roasting their own coffee when the council insisted they install a flue to roof height.

The other abiding memory is of the time the first 'o' of the shop name above the door fell off...

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/17362600.pictures-a-look-back-at-county-stores-as-taunton-shop-prepares-to-close-after-186-years/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 00:17:27 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 11:01:26 »

Apologies for quoting myself, and sorry to grahame that it's not about Melksham, but rereading this post reminded me of some local Taunton news this week. The town's longest trading store, The County Stores, is closing down this Saturday, 19th January 2019, after 183 years serving the people of Taunton.

….

I was only thinking about them last week.  In the 60s my father worked in Chard and we had a weekly grocery order phoned by my mother to the Chard branch of County Stores and delivered to my father who brought it home.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 11:06:37 »

Unsurprisingly, living in Bristol, I only got 5 correct... and that was with some lucky guesses.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2019, 13:16:39 »

Unsurprisingly, living in Bristol, I only got 5 correct... and that was with some lucky guesses.

I am very much ... Melkshamcentric at times.  It remains a 'special case' in terms of the need for general rail use promotion - horrendously under-utilised for the size of the town and a real need to promote general use.   That's I believe, how community rail was 20 years ago for so many places and has done so well.

Community rail in general has moved on - certainly in our neck of the woods it's more looking at brining benefit and help to local sectors of the population that aren't necessarily easy to reach and can especially benefit.  And the general Community Rail approach relates very much to longer term ensuring that the future of the line / area is planned for - that different CRP (Community Rail Partnership) 'animal' tends to be populated by council and local government and to putting a lot of resource into those relationships, rather dropping back from the general community - original "job done" by Community Rail , and congratulations. But - due to our late start - not really done for Melksham yet,  thus the Melkshamcentric approach - see http://www.mrug.org.uk/forward2019.html

I am - impressed - that someone who's not familiar with Melksham got as many as 5  Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2019, 08:01:12 »

I think this will be public visible even if you don't have a Facebook account.  It's The story of Melksham Spa (click on "See More" to read the full article after the "on this day" list). "Melksham Spa" - to join "Bath Spa", "Leamington Spa", "Droitwich Spa" and "Cheltenham Spa"?

These days, the properties are lovely homes (we lived there for 18 years) - see Rightmove for a modern outside shot and loads of internals.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:17:55 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: