27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 23:22:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Void day eligibility  (Read 9449 times)
NickB

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2018, 14:06:30 »

Afternoon,
Following an interesting ‘discussion’ with the counter staff at Maidenhead this morning please could I seek informed views on the following.
Are Maidenhead passengers entitled to 2 void days, as per Thames Valley services; or 3 days, as per HSS (High Speed Services).  And I’m asking as a passenger who gets an HST (High Speed Train) direct service to Paddington everyday.

Ta muchly
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 14:11:39 »

Afternoon,
Following an interesting ‘discussion’ with the counter staff at Maidenhead this morning please could I seek informed views on the following.
Are Maidenhead passengers entitled to 2 void days, as per Thames Valley services; or 3 days, as per HSS (High Speed Services).  And I’m asking as a passenger who gets an HST (High Speed Train) direct service to Paddington everyday.

Ta muchly

In respect of which days?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 15:15:36 »

Don't think it matters...

I'm pretty sure the answer is Thames Valley.

Warning: for those renewing seasons (otherwise you aren't entitled to void days) before the price rise on Jan 2, make sure that addingvoid days to your renewal doesn't take your next season's expiry date beyond Jan 2, 2020...otherwise your next renewal would be after the second price increase (on that date in 2020)...you can instead request a 'refund' for these void days
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:18 »

I had a similar discussion at Twyford earlier in the year. Its Thames Valley although I did get the Underground element which surprised me.

More frustrating was when I went to claim the October (I think) void day the person in the ticket office insisting I couldn't have cash. Having insisted that I could there then followed lots of sighing and flicking through folders and more sighs.

As ChrisB points out the main reason for doing this is to avoid taking you over into the price increase dates or for a weekend which not everyone would benefit from.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:53:16 »

When adding void days to a renewal, I was extremely satisfied when Chiltern added free weekend days such that each void day was added as a weekday with an extra 2 days added as a weekend was involved. Impressed to say the least.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 14:05:10 »

Sounds like a company that thinks about its customers.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 17:48:56 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) does it as well, as long as you are dealing with staff that know what they are doing. I renewed a monthly which normally would have finished on a Friday. With the 2 void days added it meant it would finish on the Sunday. The clerk automatically added extra to make it finish on the Tuesday.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: