Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:10:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: National Express East Anglia To Hire Class 47's And Carriages  (Read 4509 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2008, 01:40:58 »

National Express East Anglia is expected to lease carriages and two Class 47 locos to run from Norwich to Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft (link below.)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7297219.stm

The firm would not confirm the deal, but Rail magazine said it was aware contracts were being drafted.

It is understood that if the anticipated two-year deal is signed, the trains could be brought into service by May.

Phil Haigh, Rail's business editor, said:

Quote from: Phil Haigh
"There's a crying need for extra trains all over the country.

"First Great Western, Northern and National Express East Anglia need more trains, as does just about every part to the country."

Mr Haigh said despite the fact the carriages are older, being hauled by Class 47 diesel locomotives may be more comfortable for passengers, because diesel trains on local routes have engines under the floor that cause vibration.

He added:

Quote from: Phil Haigh
"These will be trains that were got rid of a while ago, although they have been hired for summer Saturdays to cope with peak loads.

"It does provide extra seats, but its a very expensive option and that shows how desperate some of the rail companies are to provide more seats."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:04:13 »

This is not particularly new. When under 'one', there were always summer London to Great Yarmouth services, hauled by a 90 to Norwich, and a 47 to Great Yarmouth. As I understand it, they are simply separating these services apart and providing connections into the Norwich services.

The summer additionals will be in place as per normal, as well.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 15:27:41 »

I take it these carriages will be some of the Mk2s (Mark 2 coach) at Honeybourne.
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 15:52:14 »

I take it these carriages will be some of the Mk2s (Mark 2 coach) at Honeybourne.

A rake of Mk2s were taken from Long Marston (Honeyborne) this week to go to New Zealand!!!

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 17:21:22 »

That is also not particularly new.  Cheesy
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 22:38:56 »

A rake of Mk2s were taken from Long Marston (Honeyborne) this week to go to New Zealand!!!

Angry Angry Angry

That makes me angry- the UK (United Kingdom) has overcrowding, and perfectly good carriages are flying out to the other side of the world never to be seen again!

Angry Angry Angry
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 23:37:01 »

Sailing actually (from Southampton).
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:17:01 »

Angry Angry Angry

That makes me angry- the UK (United Kingdom) has overcrowding, and perfectly good carriages are flying out to the other side of the world never to be seen again!

Angry Angry Angry
Me too, its been going on for a couple of years now. Can't believe DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) are allowing it to happen as its stock that could be used again on the overcrowded UK rail network rather than being exported elsewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:31:02 »

Reading of the apparent absurdity of rolling stock going out of the country, and knowing that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) sign leases off when trains are leased by the RoSCos to the UK (United Kingdom)'s train operators ... I have a question.

Do the DfT have the ability to stop sales or leases of railway equipment stock owned by Angel and others so that they may run on railways outside the UK?  In other words if - fictional case - Porterbrook decided to sell 28 x 150 units (being released by [some company] as they took new stock) to the Austrian Railways, would there be anything to stop them?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:43:03 »

Reading of the apparent absurdity of rolling stock going out of the country, and knowing that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) sign leases off when trains are leased by the RoSCos to the UK (United Kingdom)'s train operators ... I have a question.

Do the DfT have the ability to stop sales or leases of railway equipment stock owned by Angel and others so that they may run on railways outside the UK?  In other words if - fictional case - Porterbrook decided to sell 28 x 150 units (being released by [some company] as they took new stock) to the Austrian Railways, would there be anything to stop them?

Two reasons that I can think of :

1) Strongly adverse public/press opinion.

2) If (as I rather suspect) you are partly referring to the London Midland Class 150's, then it would be directly contrary to the DfT's Rolling Stock Plan, which envisages sending these units to Bristol :

Extract from the DFT (Department for Transport)'s long awaited rolling stock plan published today.

9. First Great Western would introduce additional class 150 DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) vehicles for regional services around Bristol cascaded from London Midland, as well as new DMU vehicles for London suburban services. Furthermore, the possibility of lengthening some existing HST (High Speed Train) sets to increase capacity on the Thames Valley route into Paddington is being investigated.

Total quoted is 52 coaches, but no indication of the split. This seems to confirm the cascade of Class 150s from London Midland that has been often quoted.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:57:25 »

Do the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have the ability to stop sales or leases of railway equipment stock owned by Angel and others so that they may run on railways outside the UK (United Kingdom)?  In other words if - fictional case - Porterbrook decided to sell 28 x 150 units (being released by [some company] as they took new stock) to the Austrian Railways, would there be anything to stop them?

2) If (as I rather suspect) you are partly referring to the London Midland Class 150's, then it would be directly contrary to the DfT's Rolling Stock Plan, which envisages sending these units to Bristol :

I would agree with you on both points (and chances are that it wouldn't happen for other reasons - like particular rules as to safety and locading gauge) but my reading is that the DfT's point of control is over the TOC (Train Operating Company) leases so that - in theory - the RoSCos can operate in a worldwide market. Yes - they would need to be brave to do so against the wishes of the DfT and against possible bad publicity, but neither of those, as I read it, is a legal constraint

Question was asked as a "principle" question but the number and type of units in my example does indeed correspond more or less with the units currently with LM (London Midland - recent franchise).   I'm not sure which company actually owns hem ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 12:01:56 »

Question was asked as a "principle" question but the number and type of units in my example does indeed correspond more or less with the units currently with LM (London Midland - recent franchise).   I'm not sure which company actually owns hem ...

All of London Midland's 150's are owned by Angel Trains, except for 150214 & 150216 which are owned by Porterbrook.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 23:08:45 »

On a related note, HSBC is examining a sale of its train-leasing division (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/03/hsbc_weighs_up_sale_of_rail_ar.html#more

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 12:29:49 »

Do the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have the ability to stop sales or leases of railway equipment stock owned by Angel and others so that they may run on railways outside the UK (United Kingdom)?  In other words if - fictional case - Porterbrook decided to sell 28 x 150 units (being released by [some company] as they took new stock) to the Austrian Railways, would there be anything to stop them?

I would agree with you on both points (and chances are that it wouldn't happen for other reasons - like particular rules as to safety and locading gauge) but my reading is that the DfT's point of control is over the TOC (Train Operating Company) leases so that - in theory - the RoSCos can operate in a worldwide market. Yes - they would need to be brave to do so against the wishes of the DfT and against possible bad publicity, but neither of those, as I read it, is a legal constraint

It also wouldn't happen because Austrian railways are buying proper Desiro and Talent railcars, which are far superior to a 150. If they don't like those there's also all the offerings from Stadler as well. Cuba might want 150s but that's about the only place.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 16:13:29 by eightf48544 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: