I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:12:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 - TransWilts cancellation and amendments log  (Read 106181 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:33 »

Signalling has failed on the single line.  Pilotman now travelling aboard each train between Trowbridge and Chippenham.
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2019, 12:18:17 »

The 12:20 Westbury to Swindon service will divert via Bathampton Junction. Congestion on the line now compounded by 1A79, which has reversed at Heywood Road Junction and is diverting via Melksham because of a cow being struck by a train at Urchfont. 6M40 freight is waiting to follow 1A79 (which is waiting for 2M08 to clear the single line) with 2M10 and 7B12 waiting to follow those up the single line as well.

It might have been sensible to send 1A79 up to Bathampton to keep the single line flowing. It would probably been quicker for 1A79 as well. Trains are now stacked from Bradford Junction back towards Westbury.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2019, 12:25:55 »

12:20 Westbury to Swindon due 13:02
12:20 Westbury to Swindon due 13:02 will no longer call at Melksham.
This is due to animals on the railway earlier today.
Further Information

If you hold a valid single, return, or weekly ticket, you will be able to claim compensation for delays of 15 minutes or more. Please keep your ticket and visit GWR (Great Western Railway).com/DelayRepay
Last Updated:06/06/2019 12:03

So that's the third cancellation of the day so far at Melksham ... seeing other post made in parallel and the animal on the line isn't even on the TransWilts.   Needs to have a significant capacity increase as it's become a pinch point.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2019, 13:30:22 »

Needs to have a significant capacity increase as it's become a pinch point.

I couldn't agree more. There are already times of the day when the line is worked to capacity. There are only limited margins to accommodate short notice diversions. As well as being an important route in its own right, it is also the key diversionary route for main line trains (passenger and freight) when there are problems anywhere between Westbury and Reading. The current capacity issues see the local service being made to give way in order to accommodate main line services, either being cancelled or sent via Bathampton.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2019, 20:36:01 »

19:32 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 21:33
19:32 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 21:33 is being delayed at Swindon.
This is due to the train departing late to maintain customer connections.

Excellent ... approve of this one!

[9 minutes late off Swindon]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 20:41:30 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2019, 20:50:53 »

The 12:20 Westbury to Swindon service will divert via Bathampton Junction. Congestion on the line now compounded by 1A79, which has reversed at Heywood Road Junction and is diverting via Melksham because of a cow being struck by a train at Urchfont. 6M40 freight is waiting to follow 1A79 (which is waiting for 2M08 to clear the single line) with 2M10 and 7B12 waiting to follow those up the single line as well.

It might have been sensible to send 1A79 up to Bathampton to keep the single line flowing. It would probably been quicker for 1A79 as well. Trains are now stacked from Bradford Junction back towards Westbury.

Or as described in Cornwall Live ...

"A South West train service due to pass through the South West" .... love it!

A South West train service due to pass through the South West has been damaged after striking a cow on the line.

Delays of up to an hour are expected.

The incident happened to the 10.03 Paddington to Penzance train. It was between Pewsey and Westbury when it struck the animal.

It has left train lines blocked between Newbury and Westbury, with delays of at least an hour anticipated for services passing through those areas.

Some stations on that route will not be serviced at all.

Diversions are in place between Reading and Taunton.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 06, 2019, 21:08:06 »

I despair for the generation of journalists that followed me. 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2019, 21:59:43 »

I despair for the generation of journalists that followed me. 
I think you are being a little generous calling them journalists...more like click bait merchants.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2019, 04:17:15 »

19:32 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 21:33
19:32 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 21:33 is being delayed at Swindon.
This is due to the train departing late to maintain customer connections.

Excellent ... approve of this one!

[9 minutes late off Swindon]

Instructive to see what can be done:

9 late off Swindon. 6 late into Gloucester ... and just 1 late into Cheltenham Spa.
60 minutes (exactly) taken rather than 68 (scheduled) - saving around 13%

I am not advocating slashing timetable schedules - I would far rather have trains running to time than shaving a few minutes in theory and having the whole thing becoming a bit ropey in practise. Indeed, we are seeing decent performance on the current timetable from the IETs (Intercity Express Train) and I hope that quicker schedules from December won't result in a drop in performance against timetable.

Also to consider / comment on - on schedules, the timetable cannot know on a day by day basis which trains and at which stations passenger loading / unloading will take longer than usual.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: June 07, 2019, 06:26:40 »

06:07 Swindon to Southampton Central due 08:09
06:07 Swindon to Southampton Central due 08:09 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Dilton Marsh, Warminster, Salisbury, Romsey and Southampton Central.
This is due to a shortage of train crew.

07:01 gone from Westbury ... next train Westbury to Warminster and Saliisbury - 07:40, or 08:05 to Romsey and Southampton Central.

07:36 Salisbury to Southampton gone - next train 07:50.

LONG gap at Dilton Marsh

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:02 »

Grahame, was the customer, note the singular use of the word, you ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #176 on: June 07, 2019, 07:37:09 »

Grahame, was the customer, note the singular use of the word, you ?

I'm looking for the context of the question ... are you looking at the hold at Swindon last night?    No, not me, I was simply reporting on a feed. 

I suspect the singular word was really for multiple customers, as in a shortening of "customer flow".  There are usually quite a number of people connecting off London expresses to the local trains on the Stroud Valley line and I would expect the connection would have been held for dozens of people.  Swindon actually has an authorised "delay train to make connection" list telling staff how long they can hold each Gloucester / Cheltenham Spa local to wait for passengers from London / Reading / Didcot.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2019, 08:13:48 »

Not good

08:11 Warminster to Swindon due 09:04

08:11 Warminster to Swindon due 09:04 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Trowbridge, Melksham, Chippenham and Swindon.

09:22 Swindon to Westbury due 10:02

09:22 Swindon to Westbury due 10:02 will be cancelled.

10:30 Westbury to Swindon due 11:14

10:30 Westbury to Swindon due 11:14 will be cancelled.

11:28 Swindon to Westbury due 12:08

11:28 Swindon to Westbury due 12:08 will be cancelled.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2019, 08:18:28 »

08:11 Warminster to Swindon due 09:04
08:11 Warminster to Swindon due 09:04 will be terminated at Westbury.
It will no longer call at Trowbridge, Melksham, Chippenham and Swindon.

GWR (Great Western Railway) seem to have real trouble providing this train for a variety of reasons ... and it's one that people have come to rely on ... looks like Billy and me will be driving to the Great Global Greyhound Walk in Monkton Park, just a few hundred yards from Chippenham Station.  Pity really - both myself and the organiser of the local walk (and our hounds) are keen users of the TransWilts trains, as are our hounds ...

Noting Bobm posted in parallel to me ... and that three more services have been added to the list. Special treatment for the TransWilts again at the moment - nothing else showing cancelled across GWR land ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2019, 12:17:31 »

Not that it matters much to those left without a train - but the cause of all four cancellations was down to the lack of a driver rather than a guard.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: