I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:26:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Alstom and Eversholt to hydrogenate class 321s  (Read 11085 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2019, 14:16:59 »

A press release from Alstom:
Alstom and Eversholt Rail unveil a new hydrogen train design for the UK (United Kingdom)

7 January 2019 – Alstom and Eversholt Rail have unveiled the design of a new hydrogen train for the UK market. The train, codenamed ‘Breeze’, will be a conversion of existing Class 321 trains, reengineering some of the UK’s most reliable rolling stock, to create a clean train for the modern age. These trains could run across the UK as early as 2022, emitting only water and no harmful emissions at all. 

The rolling stock conversion will be carried out by Alstom, working in partnership with Eversholt Rail and building upon an established business relationship spanning over 15 years and across multiple rolling stock fleets. This proven and reliable Class 321 is an excellent fit in terms of characteristics, fleet size and availability for conversion to a Hydrogen Multiple Unit (HMU).

Alstom and Eversholt Rail are working closely with industry stakeholders to develop the business cases and evaluate detailed introduction plans for fleets of these innovative trains and the associated fuelling infrastructure. Alstom and Eversholt Rail also confirmed that their initial, comprehensive engineering study is now complete, and the train design concept finalised. The innovative technical solution defined is the first to allow a hydrogen train to fit within the standard UK loading gauge, and it will also create more space for passengers than the trains they are intended to replace.

The Alstom facility in Widnes will manage the conversion of the Breeze trains, creating high quality engineering jobs in this new, emerging sector. 

The news follows the introduction in September of Alstom’s Coradia iLint hydrogen trains in Germany, where they now operate in regular passenger service on a daily basis. There is growing interest in Alstom’s hydrogen technology worldwide, including in France where the President of the Occitanie region, Carole Delga, recently announced a proposal to introduce the technology on trains there.

“Hydrogen train technology is an exciting innovation which has the potential to transform our railway, making journeys cleaner and greener by cutting CO2 emissions even further. We are working with industry to establish how hydrogen trains can play an important part in the future, delivering better services on rural and inter-urban routes,” said Andrew Jones MP (Member of Parliament), UK Rail Minister.

“Transport in the UK has evolved over centuries from the world’s first steam train to the tens of thousands of electric vehicles on our roads today thanks to our nation of innovators. This new hydrogen powered train, which will only emit water, is further proof of the UK’s continued creativity to transform the way we travel as we continue to move to a greener, cleaner economy. The UK is on track when it comes to growing a world-leading hydrogen economy, and through our modern Industrial Strategy we are providing £23 million to power our ambition to be the ‘go-to’ place for first-class hydrogen transport,” said Claire Perry MP, UK Minister for Energy and Clean Growth.

“The Breeze will be a clean new train for the UK with a stylish, modern look. The railways need to decarbonise and the Government has rightly set out a goal to eliminate diesel rolling stock by 2040. Hydrogen trains offer an ideal solution for routes which are unlikely to benefit from electrification, and our innovative engineering solution means they can now fit within the UK loading gauge and can quickly be ready to roll on Britain’s railways. In Germany, Alstom’s hydrogen trains are already transporting passengers in the comfort and quiet that is characteristic of these trains. The Breeze offers British rail users the opportunity to share in the pleasure that is a journey on a hydrogen train,” added Nick Crossfield, Alstom UK & Ireland Managing Director.

“Eversholt Rail has an enviable record of innovation across its rolling stock portfolio.  Combining the experience gained from the successful Coradia iLint and Class 321 Renatus programmes will deliver a hydrogen-powered multiple unit product that will meet sponsors’ and train operators’ aspirations for the earliest possible fleet introduction,” added Eversholt Rail Client Relations Director Stephen Timothy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 14:23:17 by stuving » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 14:33:42 »

The Times article I saw while waiting at the dentist had some extra details I can't see here or (yet) in the trade press. The proposed formation was what surprised me, with one carriage removed (the intermediate trailer, obviously) and fuel cells taking up half of both driving trailers. Obviously that only leaves two carriageworths of passenger space, making the comment (above) that "it will also create more space for passengers than the trains they are intended to replace" hard to explain. Of course that does depend on what it is meant to replace, which we haven't been told ... Pacers, do you think? 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 14:57:04 »

So it's fuel cells rather than hydrogen as a diesel replacement, so to speak?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 15:35:15 »

So it's fuel cells rather than hydrogen as a diesel replacement, so to speak?

An interesting point - it looks as if there has been a marketing decision to remove the words "fuel cell" from this concept/product/project. I assumed they were intended because of the reference to the German trials, which I know use fuel cells (iLint), and assuming that constitutes "Alstom hydrogen technology". But nowhere does it actually say so, and of course there are other ways of persuading hydrogen to drive a train, of which a number yield only the water substance as a chemical product.

I wonder what worries them about saying fuel cell out loud?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 15:37:47 »

I look forward to reading the risk assessment and safety case for that lot.....

Tony Miles (Modern Railways) posted this on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:
The problem is (as the article says) "On the German train the hydrogen is stored on the roof but tanks will be shifted in the British model because of the greater physical constraints of the Victorian-built rail network in Britain."

The tanks can't be put underneath the trains as they'll never get safety approval for locating them in such a vulnerable location when the risk of the gas venting up through the passenger area can't be managed safely. The advantage in mainland Europe is that putting them on the roof means any leaks vent away from the train. The decision to put the tanks inside the train is the only way they'll get safety approval in the UK (United Kingdom). I am surprised at the option to go down to three cars however - and I'll ask questions. I presume it's the only way they reckon they can get the range up to something useful? I did wonder whether there could be room for some additional storage if the roof was lowered internally - then using the space to fit additional tanks - clearly this isn't an option.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 15:44:09 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 15:45:50 »

It would seem absurd to burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine in order to drive an electrical generator. The reference to them being 'quiet' also indicates that internal combustion is not used.

I do like the dinky solar panels on the roof..! Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 18:00:19 »

Absurd rarely means something won't happen... and quiet could simply be in comparison to diesel ICE. It would seem most logical for it to be fuel cells but strange that it doesn't say so (or that it isn't).

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 18:35:02 »

Rail Technology Magazine does mention fuel cells.
New hydrogen ‘Breeze’ trains unveiled by Alstom and Eversholt
Hydrogen trains will be introduced in as little as two years after a deal has been struck to convert more than 100 trains into the first fleet powered by hydrogen fuel cell technology.

The new trains, to be called “Breeze” trains, are due to be employed on commuter and suburban lines by early 2021 in the project being led by French company Alstom.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) is supporting the plan as it allows train operators to scrap diesel trains without the need to install extremely expensive overhead power lines which are needed to operate electric carriages.

The hydrogen trains have zero emissions and are nearly silent operating at speeds up to 90mph, with released steam the only by-product.

Less than half of the British rail network is currently electrified and around 2,500 commuter trains run on diesel, but the government has set a target of eradicating diesel altogether by 2040.

Alstom are leading the project alongside rolling stock company Eversholt Rail, with a fleet of Class 321 electric trains owned by Eversholt being identified for the project.

The trains are currently used on the Greater Anglia network, but will be phased out next year when the hydrogen conversion will start.

Alstom has released new images showing that the existing four-carriage 321s will be reduced to three as part of the process, with the front and rear third of the train used to house hydrogen gas storage tanks.

The Breeze trains will be converted at Alstom’s facility in Widnes.

UK (United Kingdom) rail minister Andrew Jones said: “Hydrogen train technology is an exciting innovation which has the potential to transform our railway, making journeys cleaner and greener by cutting CO2 emissions even further.

“We are working with industry to establish how hydrogen trains can play an important part in the future, delivering better services on rural and inter-urban routes.”

Nick Crossfield, Alstom’s UK managing director, commented: “There is great opportunity to get better value for taxpayers by converting an existing fleet.

“It will reach the same top speed as a diesel and in terms of acceleration a train like this will perform much more effectively. But the main benefit is to the environment in terms of emissions, noise and the passenger experience.”
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/rail-news/new-hydrogen-breeze-trains-unveiled-by-alstom-and-eversholt?dorewrite=false#

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 19:43:27 »

There was an earlier (14 May 2018) announcement from Alstom that they were starting this project, which I think we missed:
Alstom confirms plans to bring hydrogen trains to the UK (United Kingdom)

Alstom today confirms plans to bring its world leading hydrogen technology to trains in the UK. This is the first substantive industry response to the Government's challenge to remove diesel rolling stock by 2040. The company is working with Eversholt Rail on plans to convert Class 321 electric trains to hydrogen operation, fitting hydrogen tanks and fuel cells to upcycle trains that are some of the best proven on the network into Britains most advanced rolling stock.

The potential for hydrogen trains is enormous. The Government has set a clear objective of removing diesel rolling stock by 2040 and this requires a bold and innovative response from the industry. I am very proud that, working with Eversholt Rail, we are able to take the lead in that respect.

Not only are hydrogen trains zero carbon, they are near-silent and emit no particulates, which means they offer substantial air quality and noise pollution benefits too. On cost, hydrogen trains can help to avoid the necessity for line electrification, which represents a significant investment for customers.

We think the potential long-term application of hydrogen in the UK is very significant. Less than fifty per cent of the UK network is electrified, and much that isnt electrified is unlikely ever to be so. Starting with this conversion, we think hydrogen could offer the right zero carbon solution for many parts of the network. Said Nick Crossfield, Managing Director, Alstom UK & Ireland.

Alstom is the first company to introduce a regional train based on hydrogen fuel cells and batteries. The Coradia iLint is the first Alstom hydrogen train, on test already in Germany. Nearly a third of all the UKs trains are diesel trains, which will need to be replaced or refurbished to hit the Governments target of no diesel rail vehicles by 2040.

Hydrogen can be produced using sustainable electricity and electrolysis or through industrial processes. The fuel cell on the train produces electricity through a combination of hydrogen and oxygen to create water. The electrical energy is intermediately stored in batteries and the train is powered by an electrical traction drive. The only exhaust is steam and condensed water.

Hydrogen technologies and solutions will play a key role in our global vision for the future.

That has less about the proposed solution, but rather more about the technology. Note this was in The Times the day before, hence the use of "confirms" in this one. Alstom do chuck out a lot of announcements, several per week, but this one was probably not one they had planned to put out then.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 21:15:45 »

Sounds like goodbye now to any further Electrification, even possibly the Filton bank.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 21:45:35 »

Have I understood this correctly?

Because of the risk of lighter than air hydrogen leaking into the passenger cabin, tanks have to be in the roof or separate compartments.

So what happens (say) if one of these trains is running a sustainable turbo replacement service through the Severn Tunnel (safely) leaking some hydrogen into the tunnel roof, when in the other direction along comes a good old-fashioned IET (Intercity Express Train) sparking gently from its pantograph.......

These hydrogen trains could indeed perhaps herald a boom era on the railways? Shocked   
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 00:15:05 »

I suspect that hydrogen powered trains wont be routinely allowed through long tunnels, due to the small but real risk of accident.
"one off" journeys with the other line blocked and no passengers on board MIGHT be allowed.

As stated elsewhere on these forums I am very doubtful indeed as to the viability of hydrogen powered trains, however the risks seem manageable if out in the open or in short and well ventilated tunnels.
My concerns are due to the costs involved, hydrogen is expensive to produce, expensive to transport, problematic to store, and very expensive to utilise in fuel cells.

The future IMHO (in my humble opinion) is largely 25KV AC electric, with some use of batteries, diesel power, and even steam for heritage routes.
Batteries are available right now that can power trains on non electrified branches, or for hard to electrify sections of generally electrified routes.

Also as stated elsewhere on these forums, I don't much like the IETs (Intercity Express Train), but this is due to the downgraded passenger experience. On strictly engineering grounds, I support the idea of bi mode trains, with gradual electrification steadily reducing diesel operation, which remains available for use when needed.

Hydrogen power is IMO (in my opinion), a solution looking for a problem.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 10:44:08 »

The Times article I saw while waiting at the dentist had some extra details I can't see here or (yet) in the trade press. The proposed formation was what surprised me, with one carriage removed (the intermediate trailer, obviously) and fuel cells taking up half of both driving trailers. Obviously that only leaves two carriageworths of passenger space, making the comment (above) that "it will also create more space for passengers than the trains they are intended to replace" hard to explain. Of course that does depend on what it is meant to replace, which we haven't been told ... Pacers, do you think? 
Pacers and Sprinters apparently.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 15:32:23 »

Since they require a significant amount of storage space for an unspecified range of a short train I see them running on short lines in competition with battery trains.  I do not see them running intercity routes so will not remove the need for OHLE on strategic routes.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 18:30:27 »

Have I understood this correctly?

Because of the risk of lighter than air hydrogen leaking into the passenger cabin, tanks have to be in the roof or separate compartments.

So what happens (say) if one of these trains is running a sustainable turbo replacement service through the Severn Tunnel (safely) leaking some hydrogen into the tunnel roof, when in the other direction along comes a good old-fashioned IET (Intercity Express Train) sparking gently from its pantograph.......

These hydrogen trains could indeed perhaps herald a boom era on the railways? Shocked   

Sounds like it would be dangerous.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: