Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
13:12 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 14:16:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[184] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[110] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[101] Okehampton
[55] Our first Interrail tour
[38] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[35] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Smartcards - can't transfer paper ticket  (Read 10790 times)
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 10:15:37 »

Those that already have them - is the photo built into/printed on the smartcard - or is it simply for their use?

Also - if on the card, does the 'carry your photocard' instruction still apply (has it been specifically disapplied by fresh T&Cs?)

Your GWR (Great Western Railway) touch smartcard is also your photocard, BUT you will still need your pink photocard for the time being.

Does seem odd to need both, as the photocard number doesn't appear anywhere on the new SMART card, so there is no evidence they correlate other than the same person being on both photos
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:20 »

Those that already have them - is the photo built into/printed on the smartcard - or is it simply for their use?

Also - if on the card, does the 'carry your photocard' instruction still apply (has it been specifically disapplied by fresh T&Cs?)

Your GWR (Great Western Railway) touch smartcard is also your photocard, BUT you will still need your pink photocard for the time being.

Does seem odd to need both, as the photocard number doesn't appear anywhere on the new SMART card, so there is no evidence they correlate other than the same person being on both photos

When I got my SWT (South West Trains) (as was) smartcard without integrated photo I had to quote my photocard number. Presumably it's stored as a field on the card.

Do GWR ask for a photocard number before dispatching the smartcard?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 10:26:48 »

If not, then that'll bewhy it's still currently needed. Your current season (that you transfer to card) will be tagged to your photocard, not your smartcard.

Renewal of season direct to smartcard will then obviate need for photocard, I guess
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 16:11:55 »

Quite simply current tickets are issued against your pink photocard and stored in GoldSTAR, smartcards are issued against an online database that is not initially linked to GoldSTAR.

In addition, especially as this has just launched, your pink photocard is still available as a back-up for when things go wrong (eg if you lose your smartcard, GWR (Great Western Railway) will issue you a CCST back up until you get a replacement) or for when no smart fare is available.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 16:38:42 »

Quite simply ...

Grin Grin Simples  Grin Grin

Do I get the feeling of a system that might be more bleeding edge than leading edge?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 11:13:01 »

When Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) first appeared I was living with someone who was a TFL (Transport for London) employee and had a staff nominee travelcard. I was given the oyster card as a replacement well before the public. I also had a paper record card just in case the oyster went wrong. Now as a normal travelcard holder I take my gold record card with my oyster because it's needed for claiming my discount on national rail.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 11:54:04 »

No, just name and address and photo to be uploaded

When I got my SWT (South West Trains) (as was) smartcard without integrated photo I had to quote my photocard number. Presumably it's stored as a field on the card.

Do GWR ask for a photocard number before dispatching the smartcard?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 10:30:31 »

As I had ordered one of these new fangled card thingy-ma-bobs I spoke to Ollie at Goring this morning, to find out what the process is (According to GWR (Great Western Railway) I can use it as I get off at Maidenhead which has the readers). The bit I am confused about is actually loading the card - ie. once purchased my GOR-MAI (Maidenhead station) season online, how to get it onto the card. It says to load it at Maidenhead, but then I assume I would technically be travelling from Goring to Maidenhead on Monday morning to load it, without a ticket - so that one confused me a bit.

Anyway, I digress, Ollie said he has the machine at Goring now to load onto the smart cards, but he didn't know much about it yet, but it does sound like its slowly being rolled out to more stations.

One question for anyone using them already - when it says to load it at the ticket gate / tap in/out at the ticket gate, is it the new bit they bolted to the gatelines which is used to read the QR (QR Code - Quick Response code) codes on the mobile phone app?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 13:27:33 »

Tell Ollie, he needs to put your card on to the smartcard reader attached to his ticket machine.
The on his Star TOM, select Other Tickets, then Read Smartcard.
Your ticket should then appear on his screen, if it is showing you are good to go.

The ticket barriers have a separate reader for ITSO smartcards just above the barcode scanner by where you would feed in a normal ticket.  It's quite obvious and has the standard yellow smartcard/contactless symbol.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 15:26:54 »

I often travel from Weston and Temple Meads on a crosscountry train, have asked a few train managers about these cards, they have no idea about them or how to scan them
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 15:50:57 »

https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/tickets/smart

All I'll say is that every TOC (Train Operating Company) has their own version and make no comment on how well staff know about the national scheme.

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 16:10:52 »

The ticket barriers have a separate reader for ITSO smartcards just above the barcode scanner by where you would feed in a normal ticket.  It's quite obvious and has the standard yellow smartcard/contactless symbol.

Ah! I did wonder if that was where it was, but frankly it looked like it was indicating where to feed the paper ticket into the slot above! I'd been wracking my brain trying to think if it was there before or not, but really couldn't remember!

Thank you plymothian!
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 16:44:43 »

Ah! I did wonder if that was where it was, but frankly it looked like it was indicating where to feed the paper ticket into the slot above! I'd been wracking my brain trying to think if it was there before or not, but really couldn't remember!

Thank you plymothian!

Theoretically if you have purchased a smartcard season ticket online it should automatically load onto your smartcard the first time you tap it on the correct part of the gate, negating the need to go to the ticket office.
Best of luck with that!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 08:59:58 »

I'm a tad michivious (sic) at times, on the train home last night was asked for my ticket, showed my annual paper ticket and was asked for the associated photo ID.
I pulled this new smartcard out with my photo on, I was met with the reply "sorry I didn't realise that you were staff" !!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 12:07:57 »

If you have a paper ticket, you need to carry your paper photocard. If you want to use your smartcard photo(card), you have to have your ticket on your smartcard also. I wouldn't recommend trying to game the system as the T&Cs on both will catch you out.

Crosscountry crew are unable to read smartcards! A smartcard season valid Oxford-Reading is already catching them out. The  train manager the other night smiled and accepted my (other TOC (Train Operating Company)) smartcard - I guess they have to, as they can't prove otherwise.

ITSO smartcards are readable at any ITSO-enabled gateline - doesn't matter which TOC issued it. Chiltern smartcards are readable already at GWR (Great Western Railway) enabled gatelines. So theoretically, I could load a GWR ticket onto my Chiltern smartcard....I guess that's where we will ultimately get to - just having one smartcard available nationalyy for all tickets, regardless of which TOC issued the smartcard & ticket. Wish they'd get on with this!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: