Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:14:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tourist (bed) tax for Bath?  (Read 8306 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:46:45 »

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

A tourist tax could be imposed on visitors to some of the UK (United Kingdom)'s leading destinations if cash-strapped councils get their way.

Bath wants the power to impose a £1-per-night charge to allow the authority to "put the icing back on the cake" after years of financial restraints.

The Scottish Highlands and Aberdeen are among others considering a levy.

But industry figures have warned the proposals could hit the wider tourism industry hard.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:40 »

A tourist tax could be imposed on visitors to some of the UK (United Kingdom)'s leading destinations if cash-strapped councils get their way.

Bath wants the power to impose a £1-per-night charge to allow the authority to "put the icing back on the cake" after years of financial restraints.

But industry figures have warned the proposals could hit the wider tourism industry hard.

Ridiculous idea - why is taxing everyone/everything the default response in this country?  Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:49:58 »

Ridiculous idea - why is taxing everyone/everything the default response in this country?  Roll Eyes

Wellll ... USA sales and accommodation tax is common place on top of quoted rates, though a few states do not charge it.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/fiscal-policy/state-lodging-taxes.aspx

Of course, if Theresa May wants to fund a wall between Dover and Calais to stop people crossing the channel in small, unofficial boats and putting themselves in danger, she might suggest one on a national basis.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:57:27 »

A tourist tax is applied on Mallorca. When I went last June it was certainly more than the equivalent of £1 per night although I can't remember the exact figure

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:11:32 »

A tourist tax is applied on Mallorca. When I went last June it was certainly more than the equivalent of £1 per night although I can't remember the exact figure

Rome had one too when I visited there and it too was more than a £ a night.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:29:22 »

I think we pay enough tax as it is, Should wait and see what Brexit brings. The government may find they have more money and then can fund councils properly.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 12:26:39 »

Taxes are the price we pay to live in a civilised society.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 13:15:29 »

Are we (or Bath, or anyone else) talking about taxing tourists, or visitors?

That vexatious little addition to hotel and other accommodation rates (since 1910), the French taxe de séjour has (and this is going to amaze you) loads of administrative rules, and they are all worded in terms of tourists and  tourism. It has to be used to support and promote tourism, usually going into the tourist office's budget. But there are only a few cases where a distinction is made between tourists (who pay) and non-tourists, notably for rentals (and holiday lets are legally distinct here too) or for some seasonal workers in tourism. It always gets added to your hotel bill, even in places (e.g. around Paris) where you'd have thought tourists were a small minority of hotel guests.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 13:20:23 »

I think it's a little more sophisticated than that, as are the benefits of tax, and the costs -  of collecting and administering it, as well as the consequences of introducing it, but I'd be intrigued to hear how you feel that civilised society in Bath is currently sufficiently imperilled to justify this particular tax?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 13:56:21 »

I think it's a little more sophisticated than that, as are the benefits of tax, and the costs -  of collecting and administering it, as well as the consequences of introducing it, but I'd be intrigued to hear how you feel that civilised society in Bath is currently sufficiently imperilled to justify this particular tax?

I don't suppose things are worse in Bath than elsewhere, but I thought you'd broadened it out into a more general question about tax. As to civilised society in Bath: to paraphrase Gandhi, I think that would be a good idea. Wink

Jolly quips aside, I accept that the whole question of tax and spending is not straightforward. I do however find it hard to understand why people's unwillingness to pay the price of living in a civilised society has made it impossible for politicians of any stripe to raise general taxation to a point where public services can be properly funded.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 15:10:52 »

Bath is lucky to be in the situation where it has significant numbers of tourists to tax. Less fortunate places will have to make do with raising council taxes and business rates.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 20:47:41 »

I don't suppose things are worse in Bath than elsewhere, but I thought you'd broadened it out into a more general question about tax. As to civilised society in Bath: to paraphrase Gandhi, I think that would be a good idea. Wink

Jolly quips aside, I accept that the whole question of tax and spending is not straightforward. I do however find it hard to understand why people's unwillingness to pay the price of living in a civilised society has made it impossible for politicians of any stripe to raise general taxation to a point where public services can be properly funded.

People aren't unwilling to pay tax - most have no choice anyway - personal tax revenues rise year on year, and lower taxes stimulate economic growth - Corporation tax receipts have increased, despite rates steadily falling.

You might find the concept of Laffer curves interesting.

It's more a question of Government spending decisions than the revenue they have available which is the issue.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 21:10:09 »

People are unwilling to pay tax in the sense that it's incredibly rare for them to vote for higher taxes in return for better services.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 21:17:23 »

People are unwilling to pay tax in the sense that it's incredibly rare for them to vote for higher taxes in return for better services.

Please try to understand, it's tax revenue that matters, higher tax rates do not necessarily lead to the same thing -as I pointed out, Corporation tax revenue has increased hugely despite rates being lower.

Ultimately its how the Government decides to spend this revenue that determines how and which services are "better".

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 21:24:21 by TaplowGreen » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 21:35:30 »

Please try to understand, it's tax revenue that matters, higher tax rates do not necessarily lead to the same thing -as I pointed out, Corporation tax revenue has increased hugely despite rates being lower.

Ultimately its how the Government decides to spend this revenue that determines how and which services are "better".

Yes but we don't have the services that we once had when tax rates were higher.  Also the idea of a government winning an election of a manifesto of raising taxes has been considered laughable for a generation. 

Sorry if we want public services we are going to have to pay more tax.  There is no magic money tree (except of course when Mrs May needs to buy off the DUP).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: