Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:32:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: HS2 Downgrade  (Read 3552 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2019, 06:10:44 »

Beginning of the end?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/13/hs2-may-run-fewer-slower-trains-to-stay-on-budget-and-schedule?fbclid=IwAR1133Oubzbhg6aTZS6kLjRGCEfSAi--89edBfgqlbMen6amcFtfHD06rJk
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:54 »

Probably not the end with work starting on the ground, but it is frustrating that if slightly longer journey times are  now acceptable then the less controversial route options could have been chosen in the first place,  e.g. along the M1 corridor.  This could have avoided a lot of the expensive additional tunnelling that was added in response to local opposition,  and would therefore  have been cheaper overall.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:20 »

From the linked article
The economising options discussed included...  reducing the number of trains per hour from 18 to 14

Is that in both directions? Even with a reduction, that's still a frequent service.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:08:25 »

Old news, Guardian just catching up.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 17:48:07 »

Previous technical comment has indicated that the proposed HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) design line speed was higher that most? (any?) international high speed rail lines. Thus making UK (United Kingdom) plc unique with the consequence of additional infrastructure cost and energy consumption during normal use.

This recent announcement presumably reduces the planned line speed to that of a "normal" HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) route with relevant cost savings. So in many ways a sensible decision but many (politicians etc.) will only seize on the headline in a negative way.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 18:17:44 »

Previous technical comment has indicated that the proposed HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) design line speed was higher that most? (any?) international high speed rail lines. Thus making UK (United Kingdom) plc unique with the consequence of additional infrastructure cost and energy consumption during normal use.

This recent announcement presumably reduces the planned line speed to that of a "normal" HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) route with relevant cost savings. So in many ways a sensible decision but many (politicians etc.) will only seize on the headline in a negative way.

This is from the PWC benchmarking study (reported earlier):

The maximum operating speed of HS2 Phase Two is 360kph where alignment and environmental impact allows, with a normal operating speed of between 320kph and 340kph. Such speeds are necessary to meet the journey time requirements set by the Sponsor.

These speeds are higher than many comparators but not unique, with operating speeds across comparators varying between 250kph and 350kph. At the time of writing, none are known to be operating above 350kph in normal service. In France, Spain and Italy, typical operating speeds are 300kph to 320kph, with alignments historically designed for 350kph. However, recently constructed lines, including LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) Est in France and the line from Milan to Bologna in Italy, have alignments designed for 400kph. Italy is planning to increase the operating speed on this route to 360kph. In European countries with shorter distances between cities, including Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, speeds can be as low as 250kph.

HS2 Phase Two is future-proofing the route by accommodating an alignment design speed of 400kph where possible, which is consistent with many high speed railways in Italy, China and other parts of Asia. Higher operating speeds are known to drive cost higher in two ways. Firstly, dynamic loading and aerodynamic effects drive marginally greater costs in assets such as viaducts and tunnels. Secondly, a higher speed reduces flexibility in the vertical and horizontal alignment of the railway, making it more difficult to avoid costly assets like tunnels and viaducts, driving more significant costs. HS2 Ltd is assessing whether alternative speeds would provide cost saving opportunities.

So, pretty much in line with lines currently being designed elsewhere.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:40:41 »

Apparently, this report is based on the recent All Parliamentary Rail Group meeting last week in the Copmmons. Does Hansard record these Group meetings?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:06:10 »

No, as these aren't select committees, more ad hoc groups of Parliamentarians sharing an interest. No official status at all.

It does have a twitter account where reports get publicised: twitter.com/allpartyrail

There is also a separate All-Party Parliamentary Rail in the North Group and one for East-West Rail.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:15:37 »

Apparently, this report is based on the recent All Parliamentary Rail Group meeting last week in the Copmmons. Does Hansard record these Group meetings?

Could I please ask members if they would check spelling of messages, before they hit the post button, I have seen many mistakes in this forum over the past few weeks, I try to make my posts as accurate as possible. I usually post a message and re edit, if I see a mistake.

Not known yet if he does.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 13:13:46 »

Could I please ask members if they would check spelling of messages, before they hit the post button, I have seen many mistakes in this forum over the past few weeks, I try to make my posts as accurate as possible. I usually post a message and re edit, if I see a mistake.

Did not think that it had already been used,  For arguments sake, For example, If it was already installed between Birmingham New Street and Westerleigh Junction, how would a driver know which route he is given at signal G50 at Barnwood Junction, At the moment he has a four Aspect signal with a Pos 4,5,6 Junction Indicator, No indicator is down avoiding, pos 4 is up avoiding + avoiding loop via extra stencil, pos 5 down loop, pos 6 down main into Gloucester, Then another signal with the same indications G52, but routes to the platforms, So what type of screen or device would he have for the routes described and does he have some sort of marker board where the block section is.

If posts are well spelled, with correct punctuation and capitalisation, they tend to be well regarded. Posts which are peppered with spelling mistakes, oddly capitalised throughout, and lacking full stops tend to be hard to read, and leave me and other questioning their content.

Yes, of course all members are encouraged to write perfect posts ... but there's no 'rule' on that. I would rather see a pearl of wisdom from a well informed member from is mobile phone - even with the odd blooper - than I would miss it because he's decided it's not worth risking the attention of the spelling police.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 13:31:58 »

I did permit myself a wry smile coming from someone who litters their posts with "should of" instead of "should have".
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 14:05:07 »

I did permit myself a wry smile coming from someone who litters their posts with "should of" instead of "should have".

Correction, perhaps that will now change, only going on by what I was taught at school.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 14:45:15 »

If posts are well spelled, with correct punctuation and capitalisation, they tend to be well regarded. Posts which are peppered with spelling mistakes, oddly capitalised throughout, and lacking full stops tend to be hard to read, and leave me and other questioning their content.

Yes, of course all members are encouraged to write perfect posts ... but there's no 'rule' on that. I would rather see a pearl of wisdom from a well informed member from is mobile phone - even with the odd blooper - than I would miss it because he's decided it's not worth risking the attention of the spelling police.

That's excellent advice grahame. Tongue Wink Grin

Glad I wasn't alone in spotting that. I would have highlighted the irony had you not done so.

I am one of those grammar pedants who occasionally flags up syntax and spelling. But I'm also aware I'm not perfect. As long as the intent of a post is clear then the odd error is okay. Let's not loose site of that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 14:53:27 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 15:04:04 »

ha ha! I see what you did there.

There were too many commas in the OPs (Original Poster / topic starter) post, but let's all ignore those too.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 15:26:36 »

...Let's not loose site of that.

If you ask me, our grahame's a bit of a lose cannon...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: