Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:09:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tarka Line Overcrowding Problem To Be Solved  (Read 26544 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2019, 19:42:03 »

Yes, that is what is going to happen but, Apedlar12, scroll back on this thread to see why it's not going to be very soon.

Yes, thanks more likely December then at this rate... I see you did mention something about changing the train at St Davids so that the Barnstaple section would receive the 158s and then the Exmouth and Paignton end would be 143/150. I guess if this did happen, it may happen before the 158s turn up full time?

Yes, if it happens, it would be before the 158s turn up full time.  We'll see.

Where did you hear the info about this possible idea before they turn up fully?

A very good source but it was a couple of months ago and they were speculating.  If it did happen, it would be a hassle for passengers and staff to have to change and move forward at St Davids.  It would take a few minutes too.  Easy to see it not happening, I'm afraid.
Apedlar12

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 21:16:11 »

Yes, that is what is going to happen but, Apedlar12, scroll back on this thread to see why it's not going to be very soon.

Yes, thanks more likely December then at this rate... I see you did mention something about changing the train at St Davids so that the Barnstaple section would receive the 158s and then the Exmouth and Paignton end would be 143/150. I guess if this did happen, it may happen before the 158s turn up full time?

A very good source but it was a couple of months ago and they were speculating.  If it did happen, it would be a hassle for passengers and staff to have to change and move forward at St Davids.  It would take a few minutes too.  Easy to see it not happening, I'm afraid.

If that happened, surely there would have to be a lot of platform changes due to other services needing to use P1/P3 at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). As usually the Barnstaple bound services use P3 but if there was to be a 158 waiting for the 150/143 it would have to be stored elsewhere e.g. P2 until the service from EXM arrived?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 15:54:29 by Apedlar12 » Logged
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 22:39:58 »

If that happened, surely there would have to be a lot of platform changes due to other services needing to use P1/P3 at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains). As usually the Barnstaple bound services use P3 but if there was to be a 158 waiting for the 150/143 it would have to be stored elsewhere e.g. P2 until the service from EXM arrived?

Sorry, just seen this.  No, not necessarily.  For example, in the southbound direction the 150 or 142 for Exmouth could already be in platform 1 and the 158 ex Barnstaple would come in behind it.  If it was decided it was a good idea, it could be done fairly simply but, of course, not as simply as running the train with 150/143s straight through.  We'll see in time. 
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 08:59:33 »

There is no way the Barnstaple line would be allowed to lose its direct service to Exeter Central.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 10:00:29 »

There is no way the Barnstaple line would be allowed to lose its direct service to Exeter Central.

Generally you are absolutely right.  If the whole swapping thing happened, it would be very short term and only if connections were instant and on the same platform. 
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2019, 22:29:43 »

Just replying to Phile's message immedately above about 158763 being out on Barnstaple/Exmouth today, again I think that must be pure desperation.  I have had it from on high in GWR (Great Western Railway) that they really don't want to be using 158s on Exmouths.  I'm not making it up!

I don't know who the person on high is but both 158763 and 158766 were working all day on the Devon Metro on Monday.
Apedlar12

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2019, 10:15:21 »

Just replying to Phile's message immedately above about 158763 being out on Barnstaple/Exmouth today, again I think that must be pure desperation.  I have had it from on high in GWR (Great Western Railway) that they really don't want to be using 158s on Exmouths.  I'm not making it up!

I don't know who the person on high is but both 158763 and 158766 were working all day on the Devon Metro on Monday.

Yes, 763 stayed on all day with 150233 but 766 had to come on due to 150238 breaking down but was later swapped off for 150232 Smiley
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 00:01:22 »

My understanding, from a magazine article, was that Barnstaple services would terminate at Exeter Central with trains between Exmouth, Exeter and Paignton being increased in frequency in lieu. I haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise.

Dave
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 00:38:46 »

My understanding, from a magazine article, was that Barnstaple services would terminate at Exeter Central with trains between Exmouth, Exeter and Paignton being increased in frequency in lieu. I haven't heard anything to suggest otherwise.

I believe they are now looking at going one stop further and running the Barnstaple line trains through to St. James' Park from December.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 22:14:33 »

Barnstaple trains terminate at Exeter Central now because that is where the staff is and then run empty to reverse at Exmouth (Morrisons) Siding.
If a guard had to remove a drunk, or worse a child, at St James Park and left them there anything could happen. Also an incident at Central and it would be possible to run round a stopped train.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 22:22:14 »

If a guard had to remove a drunk, or worse a child, at St James Park and left them there anything could happen.

Couldn't the same be said for Falmouth Dock, Gunnislake, Bedwyn and Shalford?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2019, 23:28:30 »

If a guard had to remove a drunk, or worse a child, at St James Park and left them there anything could happen.

At termini the passenger could stay on the train and the guard could call the police to meet the train on it's return run. If BR (British Rail(ways)) rules are the same as London Underground that passengers can only be carried past colour light signals and not shunt signals then the train would be stuck at St James until assistance arrived. I don't know BR rules in the instance of taking passengers into a siding.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 23:59:40 »

Drunks get kicked off trains at all sorts of locations, and of course are just as likely to be waiting at an unstaffed station to try to board a train.  A lone child will be a rare occurrence, and in the event of that rare occurrence would it be possible to do the 'shunt' move by going onto the Exmouth branch behind EJ20 signal, therefore sticking to mainline signalling so the child could stay on the train?  I don't know the signalling system there well enough to know whether that could happen.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2019, 05:47:20 »

At termini the passenger could stay on the train and the guard could call the police to meet the train on it's return run. If BR (British Rail(ways)) rules are the same as London Underground that passengers can only be carried past colour light signals and not shunt signals then the train would be stuck at St James until assistance arrived. I don't know BR rules in the instance of taking passengers into a siding.

Drunks get kicked off trains at all sorts of locations, and of course are just as likely to be waiting at an unstaffed station to try to board a train.  A lone child will be a rare occurrence, and in the event of that rare occurrence would it be possible to do the 'shunt' move by going onto the Exmouth branch behind EJ20 signal, therefore sticking to mainline signalling so the child could stay on the train?  I don't know the signalling system there well enough to know whether that could happen.

So ... no real problem even in the very unusual case of lone child at St James Park.  As I read you two gentlemen, "problem" (has it ever been?) remains at Bedwyn, where you have one less member of staff (driver only).  Not sure about Shalford - how does the shunt there work??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2019, 21:34:11 »

Had the pleasure of a 3 car 158 on the 09.21 Exeter Central to Barnstaple yesterday. (158 956). Was first time in a 158 on that line since a 2 car 158 about a decade ago. Have to say it’s was a very pleasant, smooth and quiet journey, especially compared to the return journey by Pacer.

So are these the units we will be seeing on the Barney? A fellow passenger said they had been on a ‘new train’ the morning before, so maybe a unit already rostered on this line?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: