Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:35:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: £260m Oxford-Witney Rail Proposal  (Read 7352 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2019, 08:46:46 »

The new section of track between Witney and Yarnton would “broadly follow” the A40 corridor and the old Witney branch line which was closed in the 1970s. A new station at Witney would also be built as part of the plans, according to this article - https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/260m-oxford-rail-link-proposed/10039187.article

Cowley and Carterton phases are also mentioned.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:11 »

Mr Stow is a member here - hopefully he can post more details....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 06:04:50 »

From the Oxford Mail

COUNCILLORS rejected calls to back a Witney to Oxford railway, despite claims it could become the country's 'best used' route.

A motion urging West Oxfordshire District Council to ask the county council to consider including a rail line in the next phase of Oxfordshire's transport plan fell by 16 votes to 25 at last Wednesday's full council meeting.

But several Conservatives expressed fears, including Ted Fenton, of Bampton and Clanfield, who called the railway '19th century technology'.

Looks to have been on party lines, and been a wider argument boy future development of the area.

In January, the Witney Oxford Transport Group (WOT) proposed a new line running from Hanborough to Carterton, via Eynsham and Ducklington. The group previously said this would help deliver the 15,950 houses promised in the district's local plan up to 2031.

But several Conservatives expressed fears, including Ted Fenton, of Bampton and Clanfield, who called the railway '19th century technology'.

He pressed for an 'innovative' solution, adding: “The problem with cars is they’re convenient - we need to create more hubs.”

Deputy council leader, Toby Morris, argued the A40 plans would make 'significant improvements' and revealed his concerns about the reality of a rail line.

He said: “I fear a train line would turn this beautiful part of the country into a place for London commuters.”

Council leader, James Mills, added: “Can you imagine the pressure it would put on the housing market if we went about this rail route?”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 08:26:22 »

In the interests of the environment we probably need more hub caps.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:20:05 »

I'd like to say that the WODC councillors' comments beggar belief, but sadly knowing the very car-centric policies of the council, I can believe them all too readily. I did ask (via Twitter) the councillor who commented about "19th century technology" whether he'd describe the 125mph bi-mode trains currently running through West Oxfordshire as 19th century...

I doubt this is the end of it though - on current trends, the current administration could lose their majority in 2020, and at least one party will be plastering "Party X blocked reopening the Witney-Oxford railway" all over their leaflets!
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 14:37:56 »

I could understand people being against a railway based on cost, but straight up denying it because the privileged don't want to change paradise? The "19th century technology" line is a "1960's" comment from an individual who clearly doesn't want anything, including other people using cars, to hold up his progress in his own car. I cannot stand this very modern British waiting for technology to get better attitude. Just because it's the latest idea doesn't mean the old technology is redundant. The internal combustion engined motor car is about as elderly as transport technology gets.

We must get away from the thinking that any rail line is simply provided for travelling to london and that this is the only acceptable time that public transport is used. It seems, from many opinions, that the railway is thought to be aimed solely at london commuters and it would not be used to go locally or anywhere else. The media and government are guilty of this type of thinking too. I'm sure everybody on the Witney corridor will benefit from this and probably those that are doing local trips will benefit the most.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 22:02:54 »

I am afraid this attitude is endemic among local politicians of all stripes in Oxfordshire - no development of any type thank you in our backyard unless it's Didcot, Bicester or Witney. I was not surprised (but disappointed) to see a spokesperson for the new Lib Dem/Green ruling group in South Oxon proudly announce on TV that they hoped to halve the number of new homes in their area. Presumably they will deliver their old cardboard boxes to Oxfam for young couples to use as family homes instead.

At least Didcot and Bicester have rail links. Witney has grown enormously over the last generation, and now long queues of traffic sit on the A40 each rush hour. There cannot be many stronger cases for reinstating a rail link than this.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 09:02:32 »

I've had a look on the Ordnance Survey map and the original route as far as the edge of urban development at Witney is fairly straightforward. The landscape is flat and the bridge under the A40 is still available to use and other road crossing points are minimal, perhaps requiring a level crossing at the former South Leigh station (are those still allowed?). The biggest barrier is the trackbed has become the bypass at Eynsham but, with greenery either side of the road, the rail route could run parallel requiring possibly one house to be demolished. There are also industrial units near the path but with a clever bit of access road shifting the line could run through a gap between them. This all seems to be really simple to me. The platform time appears to be available at Oxford to run a through service from the Cowley branch or Didcot Parkway, both near major places of work, so this should take a fair bit of local traffic off the roads and create an Oxford Crossrail or metro type arrangement. Oxford is different to other cities, it hasn't evolved with suburbia in the same way. Partly due to the rivers around the area and partly down to a green belt policy, so it's suburbs are really the surrounding towns and expanded villages, such as Witney, Kidlington, Wheatley and Abingdon. I would suggest that any reinstatement of closed rail lines or stations around these places would be immensely popular as car provision in central Oxford is limited and quite rightly so.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 10:10:32 »

Why not re-instate the rail line as a tram link. NR» (Network Rail - home page) policy is no level crossings on new/re-opened lines. A tram link could give a greater penetration of the community and thus eliminate the need for a big car park at the station. Smaller car parks at tram stops and people are more likely to walk a 100 yards to a tram stop but not a mile or two to a railway station.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 10:28:05 »

...perhaps requiring a level crossing at the former South Leigh station (are those still allowed?).

As we can see from the Portishead precedent, no they aren't! Here and elsewhere along the route any former crossings would need to be replaced with bridges, or closed. That's the nature of, er, 21st-century technology.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 10:42:44 »

Tram would probably be better as frequency would be much higher, however more track would be required to give it a reasonable frequency and it's less likely funding would be available for such a project. Tram-train is possible but would require space at Oxford rail station for lower platforms to permit through running. Running into the centre of Oxford on street would be even better but even less likely to get funding with current attitudes. Oxford is a great candidate for tram and tram train operation with all the available track bed in the area and mentioned expanded villages and, if it was on mainland Europe, would probably have it by now. You could have tram/tram trains running to Witney, Woodstock via Kidlington, Thame via Cowley, Abingdon, Didcot and possibly Bicester. That would make a nice three crosstown line system. I'm a dreamer though.

I personally think it is rather ridiculous to not be able to trust the public with new level crossings, certainly on quiet rural roads. I guess we are no longer responsible for our own actions or safety.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 11:18:11 »

The Didcot Garden Town Plan includes proposals for a 'Garden Line' for public transport between Culham and Harwell through Didcot, repurposing some existing corridors, plus running through currently open countryside although to reach Culham would also need bridging the Thames. Unfortunately it only refers nebulously to 'autonomous vehicles' without even suggesting what these could be. The route would be shared with a cycle / walkway but I am not convinced there is enough width available in the corridor in parts of Didcot for both without one needing to be elevated, probably the vehicle one. Plus it might find particular difficulty in the space to the north of the main line where if elevated this would pass close to houses on the first floor level.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 11:20:18 »

I'm a dreamer though.

You may say you're a dreamer - but you're not the only one...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 11:37:43 »

I've had a look on the Ordnance Survey map and the original route as far as the edge of urban development at Witney is fairly straightforward. The landscape is flat and the bridge under the A40 is still available to use and other road crossing points are minimal, perhaps requiring a level crossing at the former South Leigh station (are those still allowed?). The biggest barrier is the trackbed has become the bypass at Eynsham but, with greenery either side of the road, the rail route could run parallel requiring possibly one house to be demolished. There are also industrial units near the path but with a clever bit of access road shifting the line could run through a gap between them. This all seems to be really simple to me.

Exactly that. You'd have to tread carefully at Eynsham to avoid affecting the site of Eynsham Abbey (which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument), and I suspect you may end up demolishing one of the industrial units and possibly closing Station Road to through traffic, but it's nothing too complex. Otherwise the route is unobstructed as far as the A40 at Witney, where you'd stay south of the road and terminate at Ducklington.

At South Leigh it might be easiest to divert slightly to make room to put a bridge in - or just stop up the road, to be honest. The old bridge is still standing at Tar Lane.

The platform time appears to be available at Oxford to run a through service from the Cowley branch or Didcot Parkway, both near major places of work, so this should take a fair bit of local traffic off the roads and create an Oxford Crossrail or metro type arrangement.

Electrify it from the off and send some Oxford terminators up there - either 387s or the IETs (Intercity Express Train) which aren't continuing up the Cotswold Line. If you're reopening to Witney you wouldn't need the North Cotswold Line Taskforce's nutso scheme to have 4 tph to Hanborough, after all.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 13:36:27 »

Looking to get an idea of this suggestion ... added the old trackbed onto a map (red as far out as Witney and blue beyond).

I have - but a long time ago - had a number of memorably long holdups on the A40 just west of Oxford and I know it's a road to avoid at all costs.   As (!!) is driving in and out of the centre of Oxford.  Don't know about the new traffics it would develop as London dormitories, but a good service from a significant park at ride at Ducklington would, surely, help improve the commute of many from quite a wide catchment.

Sometimes my mind wanders ... and I was thinking of themed tickets from DUCKlington to SWANley ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: