09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:24 Plymouth to Gunnislake
13:14 Gunnislake to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 12:51:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Last stop for Philadelphia train station's flipping departures board  (Read 3609 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2019, 08:34:35 »

Officials say the Solari board has grown obsolete. The removal is part of a modernization plan for the station - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-6634307/Last-stop-train-stations-flipping-departures-board.html

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 11:10:10 »

Did anyone else detect a not-so-subtle bias in that article? The close-up photo shows departures running 3hrs and 90 mins late, whilst the wide shot shows a long list of trains that are 'On time' or 'Boarding'...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 13:24:38 »

The second photo makes it look as if the board is obscuring the ornate columns (sorry, not sure if they're Corinthian, Ionic or Doric!) but from the third shot it's clear they're not. Anyway, my view is that it's just an information board and if there are now better ways of displaying that information (complying with the ADA) then the best place for fans of old tech to see the board is in a museum.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 13:38:48 »

I confess - I'm sad to see the Solari / flipping boards go; I remember seeing them as a new wonder in Euston in - what - the 1960s, with the magic appearance of train as all the leaf sections in a column started to flip and in a handful of seconds most of them had stopped ... others carrying on till the column was complete leaving, magically, a complete train.   And then, as trains departed, the left most column cleared and each of the others moves / flipped up in turn.    I believe they replaced even older punched card / technical systems - vague recollections of those at Victoria, with a wooden walkway along the front, fenced off almost like a church pew in which the team operating the board scurried up and down pulling levels and placing cards to rotate slats showing station names high above to passenger looking for their trains.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 14:52:37 »

I can remember watching them flipping over and catching a brief glimpse of a station name where regular services no longer called before settling on the correct information.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 16:15:08 »

For those with a yen for such things, I built this a good few years ago: http://www.charlbury.info/departures/

It requires Flash so won't work on phones, and indeed most desktop browsers will be sniffy these days. Like the Philly one, it's due to be decommissioned in the next day or so. (I'm moving the Charlbury website to a new server.)

But there do appear to be a few open-source Javascript implementations - grahame, are you tempted to rig one up to your lovely new departure boards here?  Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 16:45:04 »

...not sure if they're Corinthian, Ionic or Doric

Emphatically Corinthian.

I'll never forget walking into a London terminus some time in the early 80's, a little later and possibly worse for wear and tear than I should have been, and watching such a board tick a few times and then change from being full of detail that I had not had time to digest to completely and resolutely blank. Quite dispiriting.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 17:37:55 »

For those with a yen for such things, I built this a good few years ago: http://www.charlbury.info/departures/

It requires Flash so won't work on phones, and indeed most desktop browsers will be sniffy these days. Like the Philly one, it's due to be decommissioned in the next day or so. (I'm moving the Charlbury website to a new server.)

Good luck with the move

But there do appear to be a few open-source Javascript implementations - grahame, are you tempted to rig one up to your lovely new departure boards here?  Grin

Tempted ... but Javascript isn't my thing and I don't want to mix up the passenger-useful facilities in a heritage wrapper.  I would be more tempted to chain the departure boards, but really I have too much on my plate for the next three weeks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 17:39:40 »

Emphatically Corinthian.

Yes, the column's capitals do suggest Corinthian. Which is a shame for my intended pun.

Isn't it Ionic? So sang Alanis Morrisette.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 19:40:13 »

I was thinking about where I've seen any recently, and the obvious answer is France - SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) made something of a feature of them in their stations, usually up on the wall over the door to the platforms. But I'm struggling to find out how many bigger ones have been removed so far - Montparnasse came down in 2017, St Lazare had a big renovation not long ago and I suspect lost its one, but Gare du Nord may well be there still (someone must have been there last year). I was sure Nantes still had one in September, but I find my memory was wrong again (and it would have gone once the current rebuild is finished anyway).
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 22:37:51 »

I confess - I'm sad to see the Solari / flipping boards go; I remember seeing them as a new wonder in Euston in - what - the 1960s, with the magic appearance of train as all the leaf sections in a column started to flip and in a handful of seconds most of them had stopped ... others carrying on till the column was complete leaving, magically, a complete train.   And then, as trains departed, the left most column cleared and each of the others moves / flipped up in turn.    I believe they replaced even older punched card / technical systems - vague recollections of those at Victoria, with a wooden walkway along the front, fenced off almost like a church pew in which the team operating the board scurried up and down pulling levels and placing cards to rotate slats showing station names high above to passenger looking for their trains.

My memories as a youngster were mainly at Heathrow T1 & T2 departures and a vague memory (possibly imagined) at Paddington station.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 07:08:58 »

I still think the Solari indicators allowed the hurrying commuter a faster appreciation of when the next train to the required destination was running and which platform. I specially remember the board at Paddington when commuting from Reading in the 70s.
That said, the mechanical innards must have been a nightmare (and costly) to maintain, whereas the modern ones are throwaway modules.
Perhaps the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) should have a section of a display, now they are 'history'.
Incidentally I'm old enough to remember the slot in destination boards at the ticket barrier at Welling, Kent, in the 60s.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 08:48:24 »

It's a shame the linked article didn't say in what way they fail to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act and how the new display will comply. I imagine it might be by providing some sort of audio link for the blind via Bluetooth or wifi, but it might be something else completely. It would also be informative to know if similar facilities are required under UK (United Kingdom) legislation and how they are provided.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 09:40:22 »

....  Incidentally I'm old enough to remember the slot in destination boards at the ticket barrier at Welling, Kent, in the 60s.

Yea, I remember them too but they were on the platforms at Bristol Temple Meads INCLUDING the blank one where the platform staff would chalk up with the destinations where they didn't have a specific one. I also remember the boards above the carriage windows showing the destinations including the named express title on titled trains.

There was a wooden destinations board at Bath Green Park which sadly was already out of service during my visits to that station and I was surprised at the number of destinations that were served from there besides Bournemouth West.  Broadstone, Templecombe, Evercreech Junction, Bristol Temple Meads, Gloucester Eastgate, Cheltenham Lansdown Road, Birmingham New Street, Manchester Mayfield, Sheffield Midland, Leeds City, Mangotsfield, Clifton Down,  Avonmouth Docks to name a few I remember. I have never found a photograph of the board so if any forum member has one or can point me to a link to one I'd be more than grateful.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 13:17:45 »

Destination/calling point finger boards were in use well into the 1980s at Taunton, and if my memory serves me correctly, in use at Weston-super-Mare into the 21st century.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: