18th Apr (1966)
Melksham Station closed (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 02:10:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Enhanced departure boards on top of these pages  (Read 3977 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 29, 2019, 21:30:21 »

Standing, freezing, on the footbridge at Chippenham at lunchtime today ... counting passengers into the station as part of a survey.  OK - I admit it - I got bored just standing and got my laptop out ... the experimental work I was doing yesterday for onward trains has been expanded a bit and you'll find a departure board for around 20 key stations on the top of each page on the forum.

Next departures • Bristol Temple Meads • Bath Spa • Chippenham • Swindon • Didcot Parkway • Reading • London Paddington •

Melksham • Exeter St Davids • Taunton • Westbury • Trowbridge • Bristol Parkway • Cardiff Central • Oxford • Cheltenham Spa • Birmingham New Street

It's using public, dynamic information but I've tuned it to let you select a destination station, and I've also added in the expected arrival time there so that (for example) passengers from Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton can see whether to catch the local train or wait for a Cross Country service.  A few gaps in times / data combing just yet - but it is giving forecast and day to day times not just timetables so it should be as good as the station screens even at times of disruption.

Personally, I expect I'll use "next train to Bath" quite a bit rather than be going down lists looking at Paddington (not all of which will call at Bath, expecally in the future), Westbury, Fromes, Warminsters Wesymouths and Portsmouths!  Just tell me the next train to Bath!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 22:20:50 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 22:03:19 »

Isn't it dangerous to allow boars on trains?
 Grin
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 22:18:22 »

Think the fingers may have frozen up.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 22:19:40 »

Grin

Times have changed ... it used to be pretty standard to transport livestock by train, but you try and take your pony these days ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 22:22:04 »

Think the fingers may have frozen up.

Fingers foured out now ... titles corrected

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 00:41:57 »

Grin

In passenger coaches, yes potentially dangerous. Should be safe as freight in suitable wagons.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 06:50:25 »

Incidentally if you type

gwr.to/[3 letter station code]

in to any browser, you will get the staff departure board for that station.  It only works for GWR (Great Western Railway) stations though.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 08:24:44 »

Very good addition  Smiley - any chance Newbury could be added? (accepting that Thatcham is not a key Station, although Newbury might be  Wink )
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:16 »

Incidentally if you type

in to any browser, you will get the staff departure board for that station.  It only works for GWR (Great Western Railway) stations though.

That's amazing - to think that gwr that provides this service to its people. 

A couple of questions though.

1. Are GWR thinking of starting services in Tonga* - according to Wikipedia there are no operations railways or trams there so it would be a big investment. Smiley
2. Also why would the people of Tonga need information on GWR's services in the UK (United Kingdom)Smiley

* .to is the domain name for Tonga
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 09:06:12 »

Incidentally if you type

Although it appears that you can't use capitals so 'did' instead of 'DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)'.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:39 »

Very good addition  Smiley - any chance Newbury could be added? (accepting that Thatcham is not a key Station, although Newbury might be  Wink )

I've added it to the pulldown menu list on all the other stations - and it's also under http://www.mrug.org.uk/nby.html .. we could end up with a  very long and cluttered list at the top of the Coffee Shop page.  There are others I wondered about adding too ... I may move to a pulldown menu, and I'm wondering about geolocation too.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:46 »

Incidentally if you type

...so not much use to most members of the travelling public then (unlike Grahame's attempts here, I might add)!
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:14:28 »

This gwr.to site looks useful. Mind you, I just typed clc into it, and the narrative said that the first train is currently between Pewsey and Bruton. Now I know why the information on the station is sometimes a bit vague. . .
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 10:33:49 »

Of course a gwr.to request stays in Tonga for barely a millisecond before coming back expanded into "http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/renderstaffsoad.asp?file=" and a specific XML file number. I note that the underlying Tiger service (http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/) has acquired a few more customers - on the basis of a quick look at the names, it seems that stations managed by Overground, NIR, LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), NIR, WMR, and at least the Thameslink bit of GTR are available. (However, I'm not convinced listing is governed 100% by which TOC (Train Operating Company) operates the station.)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 10:43:01 »

The Station comparator has links to live departure boards for all stations, not just GWR (Great Western Railway).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: