Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:48:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[103] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[102] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[44] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[41] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[40] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 319 arrives.....  (Read 3618 times)
lbraine

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2019, 16:47:51 »

On a slow moving train past Reading depot this AM I was able to see the arrival of what I can only suspect is the first Class 319 EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) being ‘cascaded’ to GWR (Great Western Railway) usage.

It certainly looked worse for wear - sporting the dull ex-Govia Thameslink colours.

I can only only presume the units will be brought up to GWR specification by Reading depot skills ? I think they have their work cut out.

As a long time user of Thameslink when the 319s was shiny and new - back in the early 1990’s - there were not great units (poor ride quality, uncomfortable 3+2 seating, awful PA (Public Address) system) back then. I shudder to think of their reception when and where they are introduced as a replacement for the respectable 387’s
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 17:56:35 »

It certainly looked worse for wear - sporting the dull ex-Govia Thameslink colours.

If it was looking that bad I'm going to take a guess that perhaps it was in First Capital Connect livery with Thameslink stickers on it. Incidentally it has been reported that a few have already been delivered to Reading depot according to this thread from 23rd January.

Incidentally there seems a growing collection of ex-Thameslink 319s at Reading depot, but as far as I can see from the passing train they don't look to have any additional underfloor gubbins by way of diesel engines, generators etc. Anyone know why?
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 18:08:40 »

Correct, at least 2 (possibly more?) have arrived.

I did see one last night as I was going past the depot and it appeared to be connected to a brake van and possibly the class 08 shunter (it was dark so couldn't tell), it probably has been there a while

I can only only presume the units will be brought up to GWR (Great Western Railway) specification by Reading depot skills ? I think they have their work cut out.
The idea is that these are only temporary and to be used for driver training/familiarisation to have them in good stead for when the class 769s arrive.

As Surrey 455 has alluded to, more information on the topic is available here
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 18:11:29 »

I thought the intention was for these 319s to be used for driver training purposes to get a head start on when the 769s are delivered later this year. Although with timing of everything I guess you never know what might happen. Originally though they were turbo replacements, so not much difference in vintage there.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 20:53:22 »

Yes, at the moment they’re there for staff familiarisation- both depot maintenance staff and drivers.  They might be pushed into action should the 769s not arrive in a timely manner.  Which looks quite possible!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:34:53 »

Yes, at the moment they’re there for staff familiarisation- both depot maintenance staff and drivers.  They might be pushed into action should the 769s not arrive in a timely manner.  Which looks quite possible!
You can see the press along the Thames Valley getting hold of this:  ‘Brand new trains replaced by ones built in the 1980’s’. Another Dft mess for the GWR (Great Western Railway) PR (Public Relations) machine to have to manage. ‘Please Sir, why are our of new trains being replaced by c**p built in the 1980’s? I thought we sent all that down to the West Country in the form of the Turbos’.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:56:05 »

You can see the press along the Thames Valley getting hold of this:  ‘Brand new trains replaced by ones built in the 1980’s’. Another Dft mess for the GWR (Great Western Railway) PR (Public Relations) machine to have to manage. ‘Please Sir, why are our of new trains being replaced by c**p built in the 1980’s? I thought we sent all that down to the West Country in the form of the Turbos’.

The PR approach is surely going to be "due to the delay in Crossrail starting, there is a temporary shortage of trains to fill" - with a bit of insinuation if the facts don't quite match. It's an old trick but it's been known to work.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:10 »

Well, before anyone gets too excited the 319s aren't 'crap' and in the form of their reincarnation of 769s look pretty smart, probably even smarter when in the GWR (Great Western Railway) livery which has suited everything it's so far been applied to - and I believe air-cooling is being fitted to the GWR ones.  

Let's not forget that the original electrification plan had us getting a whole load of 319s, until that morphed into the 387s we have now.  When the 769s arrive they will mostly be used to provide a much needed capacity boost on the North Downs line - though I have reservations about how well they will work as a tri-mode train.  Any use of actual 319s is likely to be very short lived, before the 769s replace them, indeed it might not happen.

Though I guess if the press want to spin it in a negative way then they will be able to do so, witness negative press about the HST (High Speed Train)'s heading to Scotrail which they have been forced to defend, despite many people down here eager to keep them.  You just can't win!

A more negative thing in my mind is the replacement of 332s on the premium Heathrow Express service with the anything-but-premium look and feel of a commuter train like the 387 - even if it is an excellent commuter train.  I doubt the modifications that will be made will change them that much.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:30 »

It's not just at Reading where 319's are arriving.

The clip below shows Bolton (that's in Lancashire) this morning.

OTC

https://twitter.com/i/status/1094865800987639809
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:22:51 »

When the 769s arrive they will mostly be used to provide a much needed capacity boost on the North Downs line

Would I be correct that there are plenty of stations on the North Downs Line where a 4-coach train won't fit?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 12:56:34 »

I presume SDO (Selective Door Opening) will be fitted and cover for those that don’t as I don’t think extensions are being considered?  4-car 769s are nominally 80 metres against a 3-car Turbo at 69 metres, so not much longer.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 13:05:22 »

Looking at the SA only Sandhurst (78.64m) and Gomshall( 91.44m?) are down for 3 car.

The rest are at least 4 car (based presumably on 20m/car).

OTC

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 18:03:56 »

Beginners question but are these Electric/Bi-bode/diesel and will my regular turbo from Oxford now have a few more seats?
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 20:55:27 »

319 is purely an EMU (Electric Multiple Unit), but has 750V DC (Direct Current) (3rd rail pick-up) and 25,000V AC (from overhead wires using a pantograph) capability.

They were most commonly used on the Thameslink routes (eg, Bedford to Gatwick) which run under central London, where I believe they swopped between electric modes in Farringdon Station (3rd rail to the south and OHLE to the north)

The 769 is an updated 319 with some diesel packs bolted underneath a few carriages to make it into a DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) (I think that's what it would be called!)

As such they are ideal for GWR (Great Western Railway), as they can be used under the wires, on 3rd rail (like various sections between Reading and Gatwick) and away from both - possibly to Oxford, Basingtoke and maybe Bedwyn?
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 14:15:12 »

The 769 is an updated 319 with some diesel packs bolted underneath a few carriages to make it into a DEMU (Diesel Electric Multiple Unit) (I think that's what it would be called!)

As such they are ideal for GWR (Great Western Railway), as they can be used under the wires, on 3rd rail (like various sections between Reading and Gatwick) and away from both - possibly to Oxford, Basingtoke and maybe Bedwyn?

Almost, I think they'd be more appropriately classed as an EDMU as they are primarily electric, but that's splitting hairs.

Anyway, AFAIK (as far as I know) the first round of the 769s will be just 25kV and diesel, with the ability to run on 750v DC (Direct Current) to follow. The useful thing about the 319's is that the 25kV is transformed down to 750v, with a power bus running down the train. So the concept of the 769's is that the diesel engine and generator sets effectively pump 750v into that power bus, as though the unit was running on the third rail, so you can more or less use the same control gear, with a bit of extra kit in the cab to keep an eye on the engine. As ever though, the devil is in the detail and I believe that you need some fairly clever electronics to keep the two gensets from upsetting each other, which amongst other things is why they're still not in service yet. 

The 3rd-rail compatible 769's I believe need some extra switchgear to keep the engines isolated from the shoegear, no idea how far that has progressed yet.

As for usage, remember that in the modern railway everything has to be cleared to the nth degree, drivers have to be trained etc, so I would expect a relatively narrow swathe of London to Reading and then Reading to Gatwick once the 769 conversion is in place. 

The diesel engines are fitted on a raft under the trailer
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: