Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:34:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail new regions  (Read 2755 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:29:24 »

Network Rail has published a new model proposed for its organisation. There will be five regions with Wales and the Western Region being one. Wessex merges with the South Eastern area to form the Southern Region. The rest are LNWR (London North Western Railway), Scotland and Eastern Regions
Each region is divided into routes.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/who-we-are/putting-passengers-first/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 13:24:32 »

Welcome back BR (British Rail(ways))...... Roll Eyes Tongue

Message from Andrew: 100 days – putting passengers and freight users first

Dear colleagues,

As you may know, after joining Network Rail late last summer, I kicked off a 100-day review of the organisation. We looked at three main things – how to provide the best possible service for passengers and freight users, how to ensure we deliver the promises we've made for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024), and how to improve the way we work together and with the industry.

We've prioritised listening – to you and to our stakeholders. I've met thousands of people, at depots and desks across the country, and individuals and groups throughout the industry. I really wanted to find out what's working and what isn't.

What we heard has informed a set of proposals to change our business that were shared with our Board on Wednesday 30 January. I'm pleased that the Board strongly supports our plans, which I am able to announce today.

Why are we changing?

We do many things brilliantly, often without the recognition our teams and individuals deserve, and we have secured a fantastic control period six (CP6) settlement. But while I heard plenty of positives, at times the feedback we received was tough to hear.

We must acknowledge that train service performance – our promise to passengers – is just not good enough. Too often, we are difficult to work with, both with each other and with outside parties; many of you have said that our current ways of working do not always help you or your teams to do your jobs in the best way. Being open, honest and willing to change is critical to becoming the organisation that rail users, lineside neighbours and our stakeholders deserve.

My vision, having listened to you, is for Network Rail to always put passengers and freight users first; to be easy to do business with; to be a natural leader of the industry; and to be a company that colleagues are proud to work for.

What are we changing?

First, I must stress that we would be kidding ourselves if we thought organisational change alone would achieve the aims I have set out. So while an important part of what we are doing is changing how we are organised, we will also change the way we work and how we engage with each other and our stakeholders. We will think and behave like a service organisation, determined to deliver for railway users, neighbours and each other.

We are reorganising to give ourselves the best chance of doing this. We will devolve further to 13 routes. Our routes will be supported by five regional organisations, to which we will devolve project delivery, and will also be supported by two service units and smaller central teams. This is not about reducing overall headcount; it is about making sure that people and responsibilities are in the right part of the organisation to drive up performance and deliver for our customers.

Deeper devolution
Our 13 routes will be responsible for operations, maintenance and renewals, including the day-to-day delivery of train performance and the relationship with their local train operating companies.
Our routes will be supported by five regions. Managing directors will be appointed to lead each region, providing a single point of accountability for both day-to-day operations and project delivery. Our five regions will be: Scotland, Wales & Western, London North Western, Southern (comprising the current Wessex and South East routes) and Eastern (comprising the current LNE & EM and Anglia routes).
We will devolve Infrastructure Projects, and elements of System Operator, Safety, Technical & Engineering and Group Digital Railway.
We will establish a new services directorate called Network Services. This will incorporate Freight and National Passenger Operators as well as elements of Group Digital Railway and certain national services.
Finance, HR (Human Resources), Communications, Route Services, Legal and Property will be largely unaffected by the programme at this stage, though will be developing their own plans for how to integrate with and support the new ways of working.

To support our plan, some activities currently undertaken by central functions will be transferred to routes/regions. We anticipate that the vast majority of colleagues' roles, including signallers, supervisors, electrical control room operators, controllers and those in front line maintenance roles and station teams, will not be adversely affected by this organisation change.

What next?

We will begin national consultations in line with our collectively agreed people processes and agreements, supported by local consultations where necessary. Colleagues whose roles may be impacted by the changes will also be consulted with on an individual basis.

Except for Executive Leadership Team and executive band (including EGU), we do not intend to place any colleagues at risk of redundancy, if necessary, until the first quarter of 2020. This is to allow colleagues as much time as possible to apply for new opportunities if their role will be impacted by these changes, or if they believe that it might. A very small percentage of the organisation will be directly affected or have their job put at risk.

Our priority is the safe and reliable running of the network. Making changes when we are ready, rather than rushing them, is key to successful outcomes. The normal safety validation process will be followed including safety consultations.

I appreciate this is a long message, which at the same time cannot cover every aspect of what we are setting out. We plan to make the initial changes, including the formation of our five regions, on Monday 24 June, and will keep you updated on timescales as the detailed design work is undertaken. We aim to complete all the changes by the end of 2020.

I know that change often brings uncertainty and this can be unsettling. It will be important for us to support each other through changes – it will feel different for everyone. We have set up a MyConnect page to share information and actions taken in response to feedback – and I've also recorded a short video message too. If you are concerned, please speak with your line manager, your HR business partner and make use of our support tools HR Direct or our Validium service.

Thank you

It is to the credit of you and many of your teams that we are now able to fulfil our long-standing promises of devolution and form regional businesses from our mature central functions and increasingly autonomous routes. I am extremely grateful for the work done that enables Network Rail to make this next step.

Against a backdrop of transformation, our priority remains to deliver a safe and reliable railway and get CP6 off to a good start. Changing our organisation gives us the best possible chance of success in the long-term. I am proud to start that change today and look forward working with you as we put passengers first.

Andrew Haines,
Chief executive
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 14:01:46 »

He wasn't sure about whether to split timetabling into regions when I heard him first outline this...nothing here to confirm or deny

And once complete, EWR will stretch across three regions. Might be an oh dear, there.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 14:16:26 »

He wasn't sure about whether to split timetabling into regions when I heard him first outline this...nothing here to confirm or deny

And once complete, EWR will stretch across three regions. Might be an oh dear, there.

I wouldn't worry about that as there will be at least 3 more reorganisations before EWR phase 2 is completed, never mind phase 3. Smiley Smiley Grin

EWR was first announced in the 2011 Autumn statement and then in almost every budget since and there are still no spades in the ground for phase 2.
Think about that, it has taken 8 years to not even start to rebuild an existing railway.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 15:57:26 »

EWR used to stretch over three regions in BR (British Rail(ways)) days so nothing new there then..... Grin
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 18:43:43 »

EWR used to stretch over three regions in BR (British Rail(ways)) days so nothing new there then..... Grin

Indeed the map looks remarkably like the old BR Regions! Except that the Midland Main line looks to be in Eastern region and North Wales is in Western (& Wales)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 19:18:00 »

Wales seems to have grown rather, too... but I don't expect that the good burghers of Cryw and Amwythig will mind.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 21:40:01 »

To be just a little controversial (hoping that I do not upset Welsh colleagues), I am not sure how lumping all of Wales into one "region" helps anything from an operational or passenger point of view, although I guess it might help in negotiating with the devolved administration.

The North Wales rail network is an extension of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) network - wouldn't it be better operationally to add it to the rather slender looking LNW region?

Anyone out there know enough about the timetabling process to know if devolving it might be a good idea or a recipe for (even worse) mismatches with trains and connections across region boundaries?

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 22:37:18 »

To be just a little controversial (hoping that I do not upset Welsh colleagues), I am not sure how lumping all of Wales into one "region" helps anything from an operational or passenger point of view, although I guess it might help in negotiating with the devolved administration.

It was already one route and has been for some time, the only change is to join it with Western Route to form a region. 

The route makes some sense as it matches the Wales Franchise. 
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 16:12:23 »

Bets on when we get a press release announcing the formation of an Anglia region, based at Liverpool Street? To better cater for the special requirements of freight and commuter traffic out of Thameside, Felixstowe and GE main line?
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 21:41:43 »

How many regions will XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) run through?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:05:35 »

That's a TOC (Train Operating Company), not a route/line like EWR
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 16:01:30 »

While the scale of the map of the "new" Regions is too small to see detail, it does look as though the SR(resolve) is regaining its full SECR/LBSCR/LSWR (London South Western Railway) structure and finally winning back Yeovil - Exeter from the WR empire. Look out for re-doubling proposals!

Two small projections suggest that EWR will stay with LNWR (London North Western Railway) right up to Oxford; also Ambergate - Matlock stays with ER as with the rest of the poor old Midland.

If anyone has a more detailed map?

OTC
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 17:00:15 »

Try the NR» (Network Rail - home page) website? I think I saw a larger scale on attached to a press release.

My earlier query about decentralising timetables I've had answered. Staying at Milton Keynes for foreseeable future, but nevercsay never apparently
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: