Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:21:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 11th July 2019 - Great Western Rail Forum  (Read 5418 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 15, 2019, 20:19:47 »

https://peloton-events.co.uk/great-western-rail-forum-2019/

Flashed up on my news feed.  New one to me
* At Swindon
* During the week
* Starting at 6 p.m.
* 5 speakers (wonder how long each will get)
* No clear idea of cost on front page ...
Needs further research or is anyone "In the know".

This event is not associated with the Great Western Coffee Shop Forum in any way!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:26:15 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 21:00:57 »

Registered my interest just to get more details

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 21:08:33 »

The link mentions Swindon Station Redevelopment - anyone know what this might be be about?
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 23:10:59 »

The link mentions Swindon Station Redevelopment - anyone know what this might be be about?

There has been rumours/plans/mumbles about doing up the old Signal Point offices in to something more useful (apartments/flats). Not sure exactly where that stands though.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 23:20:04 »

It's not new (from Network Rail)-
Tuesday 14 Dec 2004
URBAN REGENERATION IN SWINDON

A partner is being sought to develop the land adjacent to Swindon Station.  The site, owned by Network Rail and currently occupied by an industrial estate and a car park, is to be developed for residential purposes in line with the Swindon Regeneration Framework.  Deborah Richards, Network Rail’s Director of Railway Estates, said: “The first phase involves nine acres of land next to the station.  We have contacted a number of developers to gauge interest and, following a selection process, we plan to have a partner in place by March 2005.” The move has the full support of the New Swindon Company, the urban regeneration organisation for the town, which is backed by members of the local business community, as well as the National Trust and Swindon Borough Council. Further possible proposals include major refurbishment of the station, greatly improving the car parking and travel facilities, mixed use redevelopment involving both residential and commercial uses and improvements to links across the railway.  Network Rail continues to review its landholdings in the town and to will work closely with both New Swindon Company and Swindon Borough Council throughout the process.  Once listed planning consent is obtained, work will take approximately two years to complete the first phase of development. Peter Leppard, Network Rail’s Acting Western Route Director, adds: “The scheme will put much needed life into what is currently a dead frontage.  It will also improve links across the railway, in particular to the Designer Outlet Village, Steam Railway Museum and the National Monuments Record Office.”

- but central government has more recently* given the idea a boost -
Regeneration of stations set to deliver thousands of new properties and jobs

A massive programme of development of railway stations and surrounding land will deliver thousands of new homes and jobs and significantly boost local growth.

A new agreement between Network Rail and the Homes and Communities Agency will see them working with local councils to trailblaze development opportunities across England’s railway stations for housing and businesses.

The ambitious initiative could deliver up to 10,000 new properties on sites around stations in the coming years. Government wants to hear from at least 20 local authorities to take the scheme forward.
York, Taunton and Swindon councils have come forward with proposals to spearhead the new initiative and have identified railway sites that could be pooled to deliver housing and other locally-led regeneration.

*I should have included the date of that: August 2016
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:59:18 by stuving » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 00:02:18 »

https://peloton-events.co.uk/great-western-rail-forum-2019/

Flashed up on my news feed.  New one to me
* At Swindon
* During the week
* Starting at 6 p.m.
* 5 speakers (wonder how long each will get)
* No clear idea of cost on front page ...
Needs further research or is anyone "In the know".

This event is not associated with the Great Western Coffee Shop Forum in any way!

The web site says it's a networking event, and it has a dinner as part of the deal. Peloton themselves explain their business model as:
Peloton was launched in 2016 to facilitate senior management led conferences and networking dinners, bringing together key stakeholders and the supply chain to discuss key projects and priorities and disseminate the latest information on government policy.

Our conferences attract the leading experts within their field, whilst offering organisations a great platform to showcase products and services through delivery of technical seminars, engaging one-to-one meetings and exhibiting via our networking zone.

Currently working across the transport and built environment sectors, we work hard to ensure we deliver real value for all participants.

What sets us apart from the rest?

Integrity – Upholding moral principles is at the core of everything we do. All our events are carefully researched to meet the needs of our stakeholders and ensure that the best possible outcomes can be delivered.

Collaboration – Our stakeholders and attendee requirements are the sole reason we facilitate our events. We work collaboratively to ensure only the most relevant topics are up for discussion and provide a platform for like-minded individuals to get together.

Quality – We pride ourselves on producing events of the highest quality, offering an excellent route for informative debate and guiding government policy, either on a national or devolved level.

I can believe the first half of that - but somehow the last three points don't seem to quite fit, nor indeed to make a lot of sense. But then I don't inhabit the supply chain ...
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:07:25 »

Yes I remembered those ideas about development next to the station - but that was 15 years ago - and I am aware of more recent moves regarding Signal Point, but what would they do to the station itself?  The buildings on the platform are listed - though they are shade of what they once were.

A proper northern entrance would be good as would re-waterproofing the deck of the underpass,  extending the canopies a bit especially providing some around platform 2 would be nice, but I can't see these as a major redevelopment. 

What would other Swindon station users like?
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 11:50:13 »

Yes I remembered those ideas about development next to the station - but that was 15 years ago - and I am aware of more recent moves regarding Signal Point, but what would they do to the station itself?  The buildings on the platform are listed - though they are shade of what they once were.

A proper northern entrance would be good as would re-waterproofing the deck of the underpass,  extending the canopies a bit especially providing some around platform 2 would be nice, but I can't see these as a major redevelopment. 

What would other Swindon station users like?
Agreed . Iwas at Swindon on Wednesday. Although functional, the station is not exciting to look at, Signal Point could be so useful given its location, and the station definitely needs a Northern entrance providing access to outlet centre area.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 11:55:15 »

Agreed. I was at Swindon on Wednesday. Although functional, the station is not exciting to look at, .....

Agreed even though one building is listed it still not exciting to look at. 

.... Signal Point could be so useful given its location, ....

Not sure it could no much more to provide facilities for the station. The narrow road between it and Platform 4 is a bit of a barrier to further development on the south side. 

....  and the station definitely needs a Northern entrance providing access to outlet centre area.

The outlet centre is somewhat to the West of the Station a northern entrance would not be any shorter route to the outlet centre that the current one even if a new underpass or bridge was made over the Gloucester line.   

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 12:23:02 »

Which reminds me, has the old underpass access to the retail centre which was recently and suddenly closed been reopened again?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 12:43:32 »

Which reminds me, has the old underpass access to the retail centre which was recently and suddenly closed been reopened again?

Yes - back to "normal hours" ... not sure when that was but I used it towards the end of last month.  Sorry I didn't follow up here!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 17:26:49 »

Registered my interest just to get more details

Did anything like ... price ... come in the "more details" ??   Wonder if they might do a special for all-volunteer community groups  Grin  Grin

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 17:43:19 »

There willunfoubtedly be a fairly high charge to attend this, and you'll no doubt need a taxi away as the underpass won't still be open thus a long walk back to the station.

Henley user group are holding an EGM in July that Mark Hopwood is attending and most of what is on this agenda from him is also being covered at this other meeting.  I believe this is open to the public. Except Swindon redevelopment

I can't easily find out more as I'm on leave at the moment & the info is in my office
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 18:18:43 »

There willunfoubtedly be a fairly high charge to attend this, and you'll no doubt need a taxi away as the underpass won't still be open thus a long walk back to the station.

I rather thought I might try a bit of charm and suggest that the Great Western Passengers's Forum should have a special place/price at the Great Western Rail Forum.  And I think I could walk back for the 00:47 to Chippenham. Mind, we don't have a train that late to Melksham .... yet ...!

Henley user group are holding an EGM in July that Mark Hopwood is attending and most of what is on this agenda from him is also being covered at this other meeting.  I believe this is open to the public. Except Swindon redevelopment

I can't easily find out more as I'm on leave at the moment & the info is in my office

I have a couple of email addresses I could try if no-one "bites" on this thread.  Would be good to add to diary.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 18:27:55 »

Despite expressing an interest I never heard anything back.  Has it been stiilborn?

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: