Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:35:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Prices at station shops  (Read 6843 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 17, 2019, 02:34:52 »

from the Sunday Mirror

Huge markups to the price of snacks as "station rip off" revealed in full

Prices of some snacks almost triple if you buy them at the station rather than on the high street a Sunday Mirror investigation can reveal

High street giants have been accused of ripping off train ­travellers with runaway prices at their booming station shops.

Chains including WH Smith, M&S and Greggs charge up to three times as much for chocolate, sweets and drinks as in other branches of the same firms.

As families hit the railways for half-term days out, we compared prices at mainline station shops and high streets.

A family-sized Cadbury Dairy Milk bar and a bag of Maynards Wine Gums both cost £1 in a high street branch of WH Smith – yet in a station they are £1.99 and £2.99 respectively. Other mark-ups can be found at M&S Simply Food, where a 70p bottle of mineral water and a £2.60 tub of M&S Rocky Road Mini Bites cost £1 and £2.80.

At Pret a Manger’s Eurostar St Pancras branch, some sandwiches cost 19p more while at Greggs a 90p sausage roll becomes £1.15.

[etc]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:53:29 »

Some companies, (fast food for example) charge exactly the same whether in the station or out. But I get the impression that shops with offers outside (241s etc) often do not in stations/motorway services etc. I avoid trying to buy snacks at stations, preferring to get something much cheaper just outside. But to be fair, I imagine they pay very rents for space in a station which has be covered somehow.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:27:11 »

Twas ever thus.....rail stations, motorway services, airports....
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:32:34 »

Nothing new but not as bad as airport prices which are appalling. €6 for an egg sandwich, €2 for a small bottle of water in Lisbon airport the other day just two examples of daylight robbery.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:32:47 »

Yes..............but..............it's usually the wrong people "wot gets the blame" ! Could I recommend "The Undercover Economist" by Tim Harford - the first chapter in this book goes into the cost of a coffee at Waterloo.......... and the people who are making the most money out of it aren't Costa/Starbucks etc, etc.

Motorway service areas come in for a huge amount of (largely unjustified) flak. People complain about the exorbitant prices therein when they stop for the "free" loos and "free" parking which have to be available 365/24/7. Who's getting the most out of this ? not M & S/WH Smith or Burger King.

When I get the 1920 out of Waterloo I usually get something from Upper Crust beforehand to have with a coffee on the train. The baguettes from there are good quality, always fresh and not too bad price wise - would I rather pay half as much for the kind of fare (edible type !) that was available years ago at stations or on the trains ? I think not.  Having said that, I was horrified when my daughter told me what she paid there for a Cornish Pasty a couple of weeks ago  Shocked
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 10:51:44 »

Yes..............but..............it's usually the wrong people "wot gets the blame" ! Could I recommend "The Undercover Economist" by Tim Harford - the first chapter in this book goes into the cost of a coffee at Waterloo.......... and the people who are making the most money out of it aren't Costa/Starbucks etc, etc.

Motorway service areas come in for a huge amount of (largely unjustified) flak. People complain about the exorbitant prices therein when they stop for the "free" loos and "free" parking which have to be available 365/24/7. Who's getting the most out of this ? not M & S/WH Smith or Burger King.

When I get the 1920 out of Waterloo I usually get something from Upper Crust beforehand to have with a coffee on the train. The baguettes from there are good quality, always fresh and not too bad price wise - would I rather pay half as much for the kind of fare (edible type !) that was available years ago at stations or on the trains ? I think not.  Having said that, I was horrified when my daughter told me what she paid there for a Cornish Pasty a couple of weeks ago  Shocked

There's an M & S at Waterloo - get a sandwich from there instead of Upper Crust and over the course of a year you will probably save enough to get a 1st class season ticket!  Smiley
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 11:03:37 »

A slow news day at The Mirror? Costly outlets at rail stations can hardly be a revelation to most people. I tend to plan any eating arrangements to exclude station outlet options.
Once though, at Temple Meads, I had a slight case of the munchies but after a quick look at the prices of the pasties in the underpass, I suddenly didn't feel all that hungry any more.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 11:11:57 »

Probably worse than the prices at stations are the prices at shops in hospitals, very much a captive audience.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 12:07:46 »

Although if such shops are run by a League of Friends or similar charitable/benevolent organisation then it's perhaps a little more agreeable if their prices are higher than the 'outside'. Run by volunteers, who often provide a bedside service too, their profits are used to provide the goods, help and assistance to inpatients that aren't provided by the NHS. My last time as an inpatient, an emergency admission, I had no money on me for toiletries. The LoF provided me with complimentary items.

In hospitals where there is a choice between a brand outlet, such as an M&S Food or WHSmith, and a League of Friends, then I'll choose the latter wherever possible.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 12:24:16 »

...after a quick look at the prices of the pasties in the underpass, I suddenly didn't feel all that hungry any more.

You have more willpower than me; I can't pass the shop in the underpass without investing in a veggie pastie, they just smell soooo good! - highlight of my day, and worth every penny! YMMV (Your Method/Mileage May Vary)!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 12:38:46 »

A slow news day at The Mirror? Costly outlets at rail stations can hardly be a revelation to most people. I tend to plan any eating arrangements to exclude station outlet options.
Once though, at Temple Meads, I had a slight case of the munchies but after a quick look at the prices of the pasties in the underpass, I suddenly didn't feel all that hungry any more.

Ditto - wherever the money goes, my purchases at most station outlets tend to be "distress purchases".  I'm fortunate in not having to worry about how I pay my electric bill if I spend the money on a pastie, but knowing what I've paid can degrade the pleasure of the experience of even a really fresh product.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 14:35:14 »

Back in the day BAA used to make big play in their advertising that prices in the shops in their airports were at least the same as those in the equivalent high street outlets. Although some of these would have benefited from the VAT (Value Added Tax) regime airside.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 16:27:29 »

For the sake of fairness, a number of coffee outlets at stations are on or about the same prices as what you are likely to pay in the town. The underpass coffee stall at Temple Meads gives a very decent cup for a reasonably comparable price to elsewhere.

Those familiar with Redland Station will probably also remember and sadly miss the excellent Coffee Trike run by Kiera on weekday mornings until 2 or 3 years back.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 17:27:38 »

...after a quick look at the prices of the pasties in the underpass, I suddenly didn't feel all that hungry any more.

You have more willpower than me; I can't pass the shop in the underpass without investing in a veggie pastie, they just smell soooo good! - highlight of my day, and worth every penny! YMMV (Your Method/Mileage May Vary)!

To paraphrase Donald Tusk, there is a special place in hell reserved for those who describe such a thing as a "pasty" - heresy!  Wink
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 18:53:30 »

For the sake of fairness, a number of coffee outlets at stations are on or about the same prices as what you are likely to pay in the town. The underpass coffee stall at Temple Meads gives a very decent cup for a reasonably comparable price to elsewhere.

Those familiar with Redland Station will probably also remember and sadly miss the excellent Coffee Trike run by Kiera on weekday mornings until 2 or 3 years back.

for those who remember Kiera at Redland and her great coffee ,I had the pleasure of speaking with her just before Christmas, she's well and enjoying life doing something completely different these days.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: