Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:16:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 75% of trains cancelled yesterday  (Read 4528 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 16, 2008, 17:55:38 »

The 09:03 off Westbury was replaced by a bus - a "scheduled cancellation"

Then

20080315        14:37   Westbury        15:19   Swindon
Full report: "This train has been cancelled.This is due to a train fault. "

20080315        15:29   Swindon 16:13   Westbury
This train has been cancelled.This is due to an earlier train fault. "

All very depressing.  I don't know about the 21:05 off Swindon back to Westbury ... I'll give FGW (First Great Western) the benefit of the doubt and guess that it ran ...

This is not the first time I have seen cancellation rates this high - in fact I know I can look back and find daily cancellation rates of at least 60% on one day in each of the previous three months.    In a couple of weeks, we'll be two years into the franchise - and teething trouble excuses are getting very thin!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 19:49:06 »

In a couple of weeks, we'll be two years into the franchise - and teething trouble excuses are getting very thin![/i]
Yeah April 1st...April Fools Day, which says it all about this franchise. DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) couldn't have chosen a better day as the start day for this franchise for sure. Certainly has been quite a two years for FGW (First Great Western)'s long suffering passengers and crew. Still, only another eight years to go! (Yes I am aware about the last two years being awarded on certain conditions being met which I'm sure will miraculously happen at the time the extension is due  Smiley)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 22:24:41 »

21.05did run

Todays buses were not provided though...

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 00:20:02 »

Yeah April 1st...April Fools Day, which says it all about this franchise. DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) couldn't have chosen a better day as the start day for this franchise for sure. Certainly has been quite a two years for FGW (First Great Western)'s long suffering passengers and crew. Still, only another eight years to go! (Yes I am aware about the last two years being awarded on certain conditions being met which I'm sure will miraculously happen at the time the extension is due  Smiley)

Those certain conditions being "targets being met", the targets being "we're paid as much as we should be".
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 07:20:13 »

Those certain conditions being "targets being met", the targets being "we're paid as much as we should be".
Exactly, that's the only target DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) will be interested in. Though we say this, if there's a change of government in a few years time who knows what the rail policy of the day will be?

To keep this on topic, hopefully by then the Transwilts will have a lot more services operating and a lot less cancellations!
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:59:37 »

the line was closed yesterday beyond Chippenham with an HST (High Speed Train) Shuttle running , BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Chippenham work was taking at Dauntsey Bank, Wotton Basset and Swindon West Junctions.
So prehaps that might have had a little bit to do with it

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:36 »

What happens if you turn up a station, presumably unmanned, and the train is cancelled?

How do you make your journey?
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:02:10 »

the line was closed yesterday beyond Chippenham with an HST (High Speed Train) Shuttle running , BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Chippenham work was taking at Dauntsey Bank, Wotton Basset and Swindon West Junctions.
So prehaps that might have had a little bit to do with it

Huh

Actually the work at Swindon was being done on the EAST side!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 13:51:35 »

What happens if you turn up a station, presumably unmanned, and the train is cancelled?

How do you make your journey?

In theory the passenger information point will tell you what's happening, and that will be either that the train is cancelled and when the next train is due (in the case of stations with a reasonable service) or that the train is cancelled and that a bus will be running instead in the case of stations like Melksham, as it's not reasonable to expect customers wait from 07:17 to 19:50 for the next train  Undecided

In practise it sometimes works that way, but at other times a train that is due simply disappears from the system and all the message system tells you is that there is  no train due in the next 99 minutes.  What then?

Some people wander off in disgust; others call up taxis, or for lifts, or walk off to the bus stop about 800 yards away to await the hourly bus (this option leaves them well over an hour late on a 25 minute journey to Swindon).

The recommended option is to the phone. As there is no public telephone at Melksham Station, First Great Western Assume than everyone in Melksham who uses the train has a mobile. Call the National Rail Enquiry line and they should help you. You may need to point out (as I have) that you don't like the idea of waiting from ten to eight at night until quarter past seven the next morning.  When pressed, they will usually contact FGW (First Great Western) (the people on the number for assistance at the station don't actually work for FGW) and FGW will get something such as a bus or taxi laid on quite quickly - you'll usually be on your way within an hour of the time that the cancelled train was due to call ... although your journey will be slower as it will be by road, and you may have a further delay as you connect into a running train somewhere else.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 16:54:48 »

Thanks Grahame a very comprehensive answer.

Not a good one though, but how does an ordinary casyual traveller know that's what they are suppose to do?

I hope someone from FGW (First Great Western) reads it and does something about it, although I suppose they think you're stupid to try and travel on a Sunday and/or from Melksham  in the first palce.

It's almost as if "they" can't be bothered to try and run a train or inform passengers when they can't and it's your hard luck you can make your own arrangements.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 20:50:00 »

Not a good one though, but how does an ordinary casyual traveller know that's what they are suppose to do?

The is a sign with the National Rail Enquiries number on it ...

It's almost as if "they" can't be bothered to try and run a train or inform passengers when they can't and it's your hard luck you can make your own arrangements.

Yes - it does look like that at times.  Part of the improvements that were trumpeted when the franchise was won by First and they took over on 1st April 2006 was a replacement of the very limited information points they inherited at Melksham and similar places with a system which provides better information. Two years later we're still awating the new system - but to be fair to First, they HAVE repaired the old system when it has broken down though at time it has taken a number of weeks.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:44:41 »

We've had the same problem with the help points at Taplow particualrly over Xmas.

The problem now is that they go through to National Rail Enquiries who are of course dependant on what data the TOCS/Networkrail supply  so they may not always have the up to date information. Too may links in the chain.

swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:52:04 »

NRE(resolve) have a system which shows where trains are at any one time, and it works by seeing where trains are when they pass their booked passing points - basically how TRUST (Train Running System TOPS) works.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 15:54:35 »

Agree that Nationalrail enquiries know where the trains are but if they are cancelled or delayed significantly they have to wait to be told by the TOC (Train Operating Company) what alternatives there might be for the would be passenger other wise they just quote the next timetabled train. Which as Grahame points out for Melksham could mean an overnight wait.

Which means as well as sorting out what it's going to do regarding a cancelled or very late running train the TOC also has to tell Nationalrail enquiries. Also bear in mind they are presumably answering for all ex BR (British Rail(ways)) stations and outside enquiries so hundreds of trains at anyone time, some of which may be cancelled or running late. So unless operators have a comprehensive knowledge of the whole of the railway system and know the timetable off by heart they can only quote what information they are given and if the TOC hasn't told them it's the next train.

If it's an FGW (First Great Western) train then it's surely up to FGW to get the information to the station.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: