Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:04:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: FlyBE taken over  (Read 7481 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 22, 2019, 10:24:57 »

EDIT TO ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) .. it has been pointed out to me that the article I am quoting is a month old ... please read with that in mind.  HOWEVER it is broadly confirmed today as you'll see from posts later in the thread.

FLYBE takeover just announced: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46834827

New topic required..... Tongue

Flybe is being bought for £2.2m by a consortium including Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group.

It will operate under the Virgin Atlantic brand, marking a return by Virgin to domestic flights, following a failed attempt five years ago.

Based in Exeter, Flybe carries around eight million passengers a year from airports such as Southampton, Cardiff and Aberdeen, to the UK (United Kingdom) and Europe.

The deal needs shareholder approval, but is already backed by the board.

The move comes after Flybe's profits warning in October .

[article continues]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:23:18 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:55:12 »

A good move for all concerned
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:21:18 »

Except for some Flybe staff who are now facing redundancies in order to streamline the business.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:51:16 »

That BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) story is over a month old, dated 11th January. I've found this dated today though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47329014
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:05:35 by Surrey 455 » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:21:19 »

That BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) story is over a month old, dated 11th January. I've found this dated today though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47329014

Oh gosh - so easy to miss a datestamp on something that comes up on the feed. Thanks for the alert

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 14:21:40 »

That BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) story is over a month old

The news of the Virgin, Stobart and Cyrus (US Venture Capitalist) take-over is indeed over a month old, but the deal has effectively been closed today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47329014

It's still subject to Shareholder approval, but effectively the above means that the assets and operation is now sold, and that the vote due on 4th March only relates to the shell of the Company that remains, for which they will receive 1p per share if they vote in favour.

I read elsewhere that a senior pilot, who spoke out publically about how the current CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and board have managed to ruin what was a viable business over the last 2 years, has been suspended.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 21:47:51 »

I have used them a number of times from Southampton - a much more pleasant experience than Heathrow or Gatwick on those occasions when getting to Scotland for a short trip outweighed the pleasant experience of taking the train, and also to get to Amsterdam, Ireland, Spain and various obscure French provincial airports.

I have been surprised at how few people in the Thames Valley or Surrey seem unaware of their services - a bit like XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) or the Gatwick line. However in recent times I've noticed that they have cut quite a few of their route, especially some of their French routes (no more Beziers Cap D'agde), so I guess that they've struggled to make them pay. I hope the new owners keep a reasonable number of routes to Southampton going.

Over to the shareholders, then. Stobart already have a toe in the door, via William Tinkler (12.2% holding). He is on a number of Stobart's boards, and was previously MD of WA Holdings, former owners of Carlisle Airport.

Stobart and Tinkler have fallen out in a big way - allegations of falling well short of proper standards of coporate governance on his part, and he's recently lost a court case,  see https://www.standard.co.uk/business/stobart-group-claims-victory-in-high-court-battle-with-andrew-tinkler-a4068141.html-
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 22:09:24 »

(no more ... Cap D'agde)

'twas always a problem selling luggage space on that one ...  Grin

Flying from Southampton is so much ... better ... than from one of the London airports but, yes, it's a well hidden surprise to many people I speak to.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:49 »

Flew with Easyjet back from Glasgow yesterday and landed 25 minutes EARLY.  Had used Flybe the day for a return trip Glasgow to Belfast.Worth noting that I was able to use my Concessionary bus pass on the A2 service which follows the old A1 route through Bedminster and turns left at the Redcliffe roundabout and leaves /departs at stop B1 outside Lewins Mead instead of the bus station. Much better than paying 8 pounds single on the A1.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 20:24:42 by chuffed » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 09:34:30 »

I have used them a number of times from Southampton - a much more pleasant experience than Heathrow or Gatwick on those occasions when getting to Scotland for a short trip outweighed the pleasant experience of taking the train, and also to get to Amsterdam, Ireland, Spain and various obscure French provincial airports.

I have been surprised at how few people in the Thames Valley or Surrey seem unaware of their services - a bit like XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) or the Gatwick line. However in recent times I've noticed that they have cut quite a few of their route, especially some of their French routes (no more Beziers Cap D'agde), so I guess that they've struggled to make them pay. I hope the new owners keep a reasonable number of routes to Southampton going.

Over to the shareholders, then. Stobart already have a toe in the door, via William Tinkler (12.2% holding). He is on a number of Stobart's boards, and was previously MD of WA Holdings, former owners of Carlisle Airport.

Stobart and Tinkler have fallen out in a big way - allegations of falling well short of proper standards of coporate governance on his part, and he's recently lost a court case,  see https://www.standard.co.uk/business/stobart-group-claims-victory-in-high-court-battle-with-andrew-tinkler-a4068141.html-

I'd suggest that as most people in the Thames Valley are within striking distance of Heathrow, Southampton airport probably wouldn't be a practical option?
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 10:10:33 »

Once Flybe rid themselves of the very expensive Embraer 195's, and thus the associated high leasing charges - something that is programmed for completion in April 2020 -  I suspect the company will return to a reasonable level of financial health, particularly if they are able to properly market the advantages of being a Virgin Atlantic feeder airline.

However apart from a wish to not see an Exeter-based company go to the wall, purely to the benefit of their employees, I have very little interest in this saga having ceased to be a Flybe customer about 8 years ago. This after they accrued 13 hours of delay on two of my flights (Exeter > Belfast 7 hrs, Exeter > Guernsey 6 hrs) and then refused to countenance any form of compensation. Both delays BTW (by the way) were due to unserviceable aircraft but that was apparently not their problem. Flymaybe indeed!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 11:06:28 »

I'd suggest that as most people in the Thames Valley are within striking distance of Heathrow, Southampton airport probably wouldn't be a practical option?

TG - once you take into account-

1 - Much shorter check in/baggage recovery times
2 - Compact terminal with short distance to gates
3 - Station just the other side of the road to the terminal building
4 - Cheaper carparking much closer to the airport with short transfer times
5 - Ready access to M27, M3 one junction away, A34 not far further, which while busy is seldom anything like as bad as the M4 and M25 around Heathrow, and much closer to Reading/Newbury/Oxford than Gatwick, or by train via Basingstoke and Reading (direct XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains to Reading & Oxford)

It's all much more convenient - try it sometime if you are going to Scotland, Dublin or those airports in Europe it serves (that is if they are not conveniently on the rail network or time is important)!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:16:29 by eightonedee » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:15:38 »

Except for some Flybe staff who are now facing redundancies in order to streamline the business.

Some redundancies could be seen as better than all redundant, as the alternative being mooted was liquidation.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 14:44:33 »

TG - once you take into account-

1 - Much shorter check in/baggage recovery times
2 - Compact terminal with short distance to gates
3 - Station just the other side of the road to the terminal building
4 - Cheaper carparking much closer to the airport with short transfer times
5 - Ready access to M27, M3 one junction away, A34 not far further, which while busy is seldom anything like as bad as the M4 and M25 around Heathrow, and much closer to Reading/Newbury/Oxford than Gatwick, or by train via Basingstoke and Reading (direct XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) trains to Reading & Oxford)

It's all much more convenient - try it sometime if you are going to Scotland, Dublin or those airports in Europe it serves (that is if they are not conveniently on the rail network or time is important)!

I live 20 mins from Heathrow, no need for car parking. 1 hr 30 mins from Southampton, so it's no contest really.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 15:19:32 »

I live 20 mins from Heathrow, no need for car parking. 1 hr 30 mins from Southampton, so it's no contest really.

We're back to fuzzy (or not so fuzzy) catchments.  Southampton journey times by train:
25 minutes to Basingstoke
45 minutes to Reading
40 minutes to Woking

From Melksham ... on the rare occasions I fly, I'll choose (roughly in order) Southampton, Gatwick, Bristol and Heathrow - based on where I'm flying / what's available and also on any major price differences. All, frankly, bloomin awkward for one reason or another; if I was a major flyer, I wouldn't be living here!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: