Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningDelayed
23:48 Bristol Temple Meads to Exeter St Davids
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 01:16:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: When arriving at Paddington by train, how do you travel on towards your final destination  (Voting closed: March 03, 2019, 09:42:45)
Underground from Hammersmith and City platforms - 39 (21.1%)
Underground from Praed Street Platforms - 31 (16.8%)
Underground (tube) - Bakerloo Line - 40 (21.6%)
Underground from Lancaster Gate - 11 (5.9%)
Bus from stop "H" (top of station approach, turn left) - 15 (8.1%)
Bus from another stop - 5 (2.7%)
Rail air bus for Stansted - 0 (0%)
Taxi from rank - 2 (1.1%)
Taxi from elsewhere - 3 (1.6%)
Private hire including Uber - 1 (0.5%)
Cycle - Brompton / collapsible - 2 (1.1%)
Cycle - own kept at Paddington - 0 (0%)
Cycle - Santander / other hire - 1 (0.5%)
Cycle - own full size brought on train - 2 (1.1%)
Walk - 18 (9.7%)
I park my car at Paddington - 0 (0%)
I have business at the Station - 3 (1.6%)
Heathrow Express - 5 (2.7%)
TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail - 5 (2.7%)
Other - 2 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your onward travel from Paddington Station  (Read 5850 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 24, 2019, 03:53:19 »

Around 18 million journeys a year are made into Paddington, with final destinations onwards from there.

The Coffee Shop team has re-arranged the forum boards to make a clearer area for onward travel discussions (and discussions on how you get to Paddington from within London) ... this poll is being run to help us get a "drift" of how you continue on when you get to Paddington.  Please select all of your most regular modes ... leave out those which you have tried or only use very, very rarely indeed.

Some definitions / clarifications of the options:

Option 1 -  "Hammersmith and City" is the London Underground from the platforms parallel to the main station platforms and accessed off the bridge in the middle of the main platforms.  Hammersmith and City and Circle line trains to Hammersmith, and via Baker Street, King's Cross and Liverpool Street

Option 2 - "Praed Street" - London Underderground from the front of the station - walk ahead off your arriving train, across "the lawn" then down into the subway.  Circle and District line trains to Edgware Road, and to High Street Kensington and onwards via Victoria and Charing Cross, and via Earls Court to Wimbledon

Option 3 - London's deep level tube - the Bakerloo Line via Oxford Circus, Charing Cross and Waterloo to Elephant and Castle, and to Queen's Park.  Accesed via the subway from the lawn, with another access fro the station concourse opposite platform 12.

Option 4 - A bit of a walk, but I know that some people walk across to Lancaster Gate tube station on the Central line and get the tube direct along to Holborn Kingsway, St Paul's, Bank and beyond.

Option 5 - A high proportion of buses to the centre of London and other popular destinations leave from bus stop H - come off your train, walk ahead and up the station approach ramp, and turn left. The stop is a short distance ahead of you.   This is the stop you'll use if you take
7 towards Oxford Circus
23 via Hyde Park Corner, Knighsbridge and Royal Albert Hall toward Hammersmith
27 via Great Portland Street and Camden Town toward Chalk Farm
36 via Marble Arch and Victoria toward New Cross
205 via Marylebone, Euston, St Pancras, King's Cross, Islington and Liverpool Street toward Bow Church
332 via Kilburn and Neasden toward Brent Park

Option 6 - Any other TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus route from Paddington

Option 20 - "Other" ... I'm guessing. Any of our members use the London tour buses from Paddington on a regular basis?  How about the boat from Little Venice through to the Zoo and Camden Lock? Is there car hire at Paddington (remember Godfrey Davis?) Please post if you select this option so we're not left mystified!

Edit to add .. I have been persuaded to add "TfL Rail" and "Heathrow Express" as voting options   However, this poll asks about your onward travel from Paddington ... so if you (say) arrive from Heathrow and connect into the tube to Lambeth North, please only vote for Bakerloo Line.  The "Heathrow Express" option is there for people who arrive into Paddington on main line trains (for example from Taunton, Neath or Heyford) and are travelling onward into Heathrow.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:53:29 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:35:47 »

No Heathrow Express or TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail option.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 09:41:59 »

No Heathrow Express or TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail option.

Ah - you're looking at bouncers, where the poll was looking at onward journeys into London itself.  But good thought ... making the best of a now-slightly-imperfect poll I will add those two; need to be towards the end to avoid screwing up existing votes, but this poll is set up so that people can come back and replace their votes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:36:00 »

In just over a day ... 30 people have voted in the poll.

Bumping it up to the top as yesterday was a Sunday, and I would like to hear from weekday visitors too  Grin

rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:01:55 »

My vote reflects that I travel onwards by Bakerloo line, but arrive at Hammersmith platforms (Thameslink to Farringdon, and change - but TL's not frequent enough to rely on for the return). So, is that 'half a vote?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:36:38 »

My vote reflects that I travel onwards by Bakerloo line, but arrive at Hammersmith platforms (Thameslink to Farringdon, and change - but TL's not frequent enough to rely on for the return). So, is that 'half a vote?

Nope - full vote. Question asked about onward journeys on arrival at Paddington.   There's potentially a second vote "how do you arrive at Paddington when taking a train from there" and I would expect a smallish but noticeable difference.

welshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 18:25:43 »

Usually going to Lord's so 25 minute walk via Little Venice, Maida Avenue, and the back streets leading to St John's Wood Road.  But Tube if it's raining.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 13:36:15 »

Usually going to Lord's so 25 minute walk via Little Venice, Maida Avenue, and the back streets leading to St John's Wood Road.  But Tube if it's raining.

Raining at Lords?  Grin

Now, please!
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 00:05:50 »

My "other" vote was for GWR (Great Western Railway) - as in arriving in to Paddington from other lines (arriving on the underground, or arriving on Hex) - so please discount if I interpreted the question wrong :-)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 13:48:37 »

Thank you to the 57 people who voted in the is 'poll' - really a survey - to tell us how they travel on from Paddington when they arrive their on a GWR (Great Western Railway) train. Multiple votes were allowed as people travel on in different ways - a total of 185 votes cast (so on aveage, those of you who voted selected three options).   Here are the results as a pie chart and as a table, sorted by vote count.

What have I learned? Well - a slightly smug "no massive shocks" from me, but I did note:

* The high numbers using the Hammersmith and City line platforms compared to the number using the Praed Street platforms. In the "good old days" when the Circle really was a Circle, I used to always use Praed Street and change at Edgware Road should a District train come in.  The change to the underground pattern and the remodelling of the H&C platforms / access encouraged me to switch, as I suspect it did many others.  And I'm pretty sure that was the intent.

* 11 out of 57 (about 20% of you) listed a walk to Lancaster Gate (for the Central Line) as one of your regular modes. Far below the 70% who regularly disappear down the rabbit hole to the Elephant train, but never the less a sign of traffic that I would expect to transfer to the Elizabeth Line at some point.

* Over a quarter of you carry on, regularly, from that single bus stop H - and its use dwarfs all the other bus stops put together.  In my view (but I don't look to check as I know it!) this bus stop is not well waymarked from the station and I suspect that we have a peculiarly high proportion of savvy people here to knwow it and how useful it is.

* Very few taxi votes.  I suspect that taxis are most often used by very occasional visitors to London, and that the figure we have here is well below what would be expected from an average traveller. Noting too that more people pick up a taxi elsewhere than an the official rank!

* Good to see a lot or walkers (18) ... only 5 cyclists (and it could be even less if one or two of you - for example - sometimes bring a full size and sometimes a collapsible, so voted twice).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: