10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 09:24:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] A daily picture from my recent travels
[73] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[64] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[62] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[56] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[52] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Special - BRI/BTH/CPM to PAD: March 23, 2019
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Special train - 23rd March 2019 - Bristol Bath and Chippenham to London  (Read 10347 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 17:08:43 »

I don't remember any such conclusion being reached. Personally I'd much prefer that there were no limitations on what can be discussed here, provided it is done politely.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 17:25:11 »

Sorry, I don’t think this Forum is the place to promote Brexit views or events, either for or against.  Anymore than we should get on to fox hunting, badger culling, the NHS, immigration etc.  Let's keep this Forum for GWR (Great Western Railway) related issues (or related light-hearted and related diversions) - which I think was a conclusion from our day at Westbury.

I don't remember any such conclusion being reached. Personally I'd much prefer that there were no limitations on what can be discussed here, provided it is done politely.

And I'm coming at this from a third angle.

Unless I'm being blind, I don't see anywhere this thread has turned into a discussion about the right and wrongs of Brexit.  It's about a special train - perhaps the very first IET (Intercity Express Train) charter that GWR have run.   It's about crowd and passenger control and flows on the railway, and how and when special trains are flagged up.

I ask myself "what if the train was carrying people to a demonstration in favour of renaming Mars Bars to Venus Bars" or "what if the train was carrying Everton fans [Liverpool supporter here]" ... I suspect the discussion would have been just the same.

This is posted in "London to Swindon and Bristol" and it is about a train from Bristol to London (I think we allow versa vice, especially as it returns later in the day).  There are ... other ... places on the Coffee Shop where wider discussions including Brexit concerns may be politely discussed - for example the business of ensuring that enough spares are available for GWR trains if the whole thing goes messy, and whatever happens in the next month the impact on GWR of changes in passenger flows brought on by economic changes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 18:06:56 »

I based my earlier comments on the following:

Intent of trip is to let you join "Put It To The People March" and on that basis I have some doubt as to whether it's wise or potentially inflammatory for me to post it on the forum.  HOWEVER .. it's a GWR (Great Western Railway) special, all views welcome (on the forum if potentially not on the train), tickets on sale so I'm posting and putting my tin hat on!

2      Draft Objectives from Westbury:
Objectives

The purposes of the Group are:
* providing a voice for the community
* promoting sustainable, healthy and accessible travel
* bringing communities together, supporting diversity & inclusion
* supporting social and economic development

To work towards these aims, the Group will operate an internet forum for discussion of matters relating to the Great Western Railway primarily, railways and public transport generally and connected topics.   (My bold)

However, I'm just expressing a view, quite relaxed about it really.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 18:25:56 »

To work towards these aims, the Group will operate an internet forum for discussion of matters relating to the Great Western Railway primarily, railways and public transport generally and connected topics.   (My bold)

However, I'm just expressing a view, quite relaxed about it really.

My turn to bold ...  I wrote "Intent of the trip is to let you join " and not "Intent of the post is to let you join " ... and went on to talk about the rail aspect.    Very much aware I was sailing close to the wind.  "HOWEVER .. it's a GWR (Great Western Railway) special ..."

Also relaxed ... and NOT travelling on that train.  My Facebook feed is filled far too much with views in all directions and I've other things to do that protest one way, protest the other way, or not protest because the folks who are doing it have it right.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 09:13:07 »

I'm not seeing any "1Zxx" stuff on Real Time Trains ... looked at Chippenham and Bath Spa.   Any clues, anyone?

It's on now

08:11 from Bristol, 08:26 from Bath, 08:41 from Chippenham

Returns from Paddington at 18:37
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 07:15:05 »

Alterations to services between Bristol Temple Meads and Swindon

Due to a fault with the signalling system at Bath Spa fewer trains are able to run on all lines. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Train services between Bristol Temple Meads and Swindon may be delayed or diverted.

Customer Advice

Owing to a problem with the signalling system there will be a reduction in the frequency of train services between Swindon and Bristol Temple Meads (in both directions) which are able to serve Chippenham and Bath Spa.

Would customers intending to join train services at Bath Spa should note that services will almost certainly be using the opposite platform to normal - customers are requested to ensure that they check the station information displays.

Interesting to see if the special is one of those diverted ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 07:33:11 »

Problems with the signalling between Bathhampton and Bath Spa. 

Down trains are using the up line and up trains are using the down.

Just to add to the mix Cross Country services are being diverted along the Avon Valley today.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:05 »

I'm on the 0900, we've been diverted via parkway.
No sign of the special train on the screens here
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:44 »

Special train ran normal route with minimal delay

I'm on the 0900, we've been diverted via parkway.
No sign of the special train on the screens here
I would hope not as it left at 08:11  Smiley
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 22:24:58 »

Just to add to the mix Cross Country services are being diverted along the Avon Valley today.

Yes this has been happening all day, with eastbound services stopping on the opposite platform to usual at Bath Spa, and westbound services stopping on the opposite to normal as well.

I don't actually understand why that happened. I can understand that there have been signalling problems all day. But why should this lead to having to use the wrong platforms for all services? I can understand services having to use the opposite platform because the other can't be used, but it obviously could be used and was being so. I can't understand how a signalling problem could cause trains to have to cross over - have the signals somehow got a mind of their own and decided to swap sides?

Confused of Bath.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 23:39:20 »

Yes this has been happening all day, with eastbound services stopping on the opposite platform to usual at Bath Spa, and westbound services stopping on the opposite to normal as well.

I don't actually understand why that happened. I can understand that there have been signalling problems all day. But why should this lead to having to use the wrong platforms for all services? I can understand services having to use the opposite platform because the other can't be used, but it obviously could be used and was being so. I can't understand how a signalling problem could cause trains to have to cross over - have the signals somehow got a mind of their own and decided to swap sides?

Confused of Bath.

My guess is that one of the crossovers at Bathampton or just west of Bath got stuck, or had to be clipped, so all trains had to cross over there. They then all have to cross three miles away as well, and the question arises what to do with the other direction. While that stretch could be operated single line, making both directions cross and re-cross probably causes less conflict and simplifies things at Bath for passengers and staff.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 05:53:27 »

Confused of Bath.

My guess is that one of the crossovers at Bathampton or just west of Bath got stuck, or had to be clipped, so all trains had to cross over there. They then all have to cross three miles away as well, and the question arises what to do with the other direction. While that stretch could be operated single line, making both directions cross and re-cross probably causes less conflict and simplifies things at Bath for passengers and staff.

Agreed.  Or perhaps it really is a signalling system fault and one direction cannot run on its normal side.   Double crossover is messy, but probably leads to less capacity loss than single line working, as well as spending the crowds at Bath station over 2 platforms, and with the ability for both platforms still to be loading / unloading at same time.

Noting the problem continues today (Sunday 24th).

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 06:37:53 »

The problem affects at least one signal on the down line between Bathampton and Bath Spa.

To allow technicians the chance to work on it, it is easier to use operate the line in the opposite direction using the reversible signals. 

The alternatives would either be single line working on the up line or talking past one or more signals on the down. Both would lead to greater delays. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 09:10:07 »

I believe the problem was a ‘wrong side’ signal failure - when a signal displays an aspect or gives an indication that is less restrictive than it should be.  Thorough testing required when that sort of thing happens.  Not sure if it’s connected with the upcoming resignalling?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 11:17:17 »

I believe the problem was a ‘wrong side’ signal failure - when a signal displays an aspect or gives an indication that is less restrictive than it should be.  Thorough testing required when that sort of thing happens.  Not sure if it’s connected with the upcoming resignalling?

Oh well; can't blame Jeremy Corbyn - he was, er, elsewhere - as usual.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: