I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:12:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool List: The Best [South Western] Railway Journeys  (Read 5307 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 24, 2019, 20:44:47 »

Pinching an idea from north of The Border ... in The Herald ... what would you nominate as the ten best rail jouenys in the area the forum covers?

Cool List: The Best Scottish Railway Journeys

When most people think about taking the train, an image of miserable morning commutes in crowded carriages comes to mind. But there is a different, and much more pleasant, side to rail travel – experiencing some of Scotland's most spectacular scenery or historic cities, or going back in time on newly reopened lines. Scotland boasts some great train journeys ... and here are 10 of the coolest

I have some ideas ... but want to see what other members come up with first ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 21:16:23 »

I think Exeter to Newton Abbot has to rank highly. When the sea isn't too angry - although that can add a certain frisson to the trip along the sea wall, particularly in a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) with open hopper windows.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 21:29:58 »

1 Gunnislake branch
2 Par to Luxulyan and walk back along Treffery’s old line.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 21:32:31 »

The Severn Beach line isn't half bad either. The line out of central Bristol leads eventually to the suburbs before seeing the river Avon open out into the Bristol Channel. There are the industrial areas around Avonmouth before the long flat run to lonely Severn Beach itself. I remember when the line went on to Pilning too..
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 21:35:21 »

St.Ives Branch.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 21:36:33 »

The sea wall at Dawlish must be in the list as must the journey over the Tamar bridge, the St. Ives and Exmouth branch lines, the Severn Beach line alongside the River Avons horseshoe curve. The line between Trowbridge and Westbury with the view of the Westbury White Horse. The approach to Penzance with the St Micheal's Mount. The Looe branch. The Windsor branch with its views of Windsor Castle. Finally the stretch of the West Somerset line giving views towards Dunster and the Castle. These are ten from me.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 22:17:03 »

Gloucester to Chepstow along the river Severn is something of a "must see". Splendid view over the Severn Estuary for a considerable amount of the journey but does this satisfactorily qualify as a forum territory line?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:29 »

Such good suggestions .. here are 10 contenders from me.

Bath to Salisbury
Bishop's Lydeard to Blue Anchor
Churston to Kingswear
Liskeard to Looe
Lynmouth to Lynton
Plymouth to Gunnislake
Seaton to Colyton
St Erth to St Ives
Starcross to Newton Abbot
Totton to Fawley

Mind you ... some of the other suggestions are so go good they are musts which means that some of mine have to drop out of the top ten ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 07:02:27 »

The sea wall at Dawlish must be in the list as must the journey over the Tamar bridge, the St. Ives and Exmouth branch lines, the Severn Beach line alongside the River Avons horseshoe curve. The line between Trowbridge and Westbury with the view of the Westbury White Horse. The approach to Penzance with the St Micheal's Mount. The Looe branch. The Windsor branch with its views of Windsor Castle. Finally the stretch of the West Somerset line giving views towards Dunster and the Castle. These are ten from me.
St Michael please!  Wink Wink

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:07:35 »

Paignton to Kingswear. One of those routes that really should still have main-line trains, but the steam does add to the atmosphere.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 08:13:03 »

Bristol to Weymouth
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:10 »

Salisbury to Exeter with its varied landscapes as is passes along its geological journey.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:16 »

St Michael please!  Wink Wink

Thanks, GBM; you've reminded me that I need to get some new underpants.

My nominee: Bristol to Portishead. I did it in (gosh was it really?) 1985, hauled by an Ivatt 2MT as I remember it. Glorious views of the Avon Gorge, though they could improve them by cutting down some of those ruddy whitebeams... Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 10:47:03 »

Special mention perhaps for the short hop from Bristol Temple Meads to Keynsham where, after departing briefly through a cityscape you then emerge from a short tunnel suddenly into the Avon Valley with no sense of the city still surrounding you.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 10:57:44 »

Special mention perhaps for the short hop from Bristol Temple Meads to Keynsham where, after departing briefly through a cityscape you then emerge from a short tunnel suddenly into the Avon Valley with no sense of the city still surrounding you.

That's the thing with Bristol; it has a way of sneaking up on you. Despite having done it hundreds of times, I can still be surprised and delighted when I come round the last bend of the M32 and descend from the dull tedium of the countryside into the complex, confusing, exciting jumble of madness that is Bristol. Shhh! Don't tell anyone! They'll all want to come and live here!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: