10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 15:06:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New Station for Shepton Mallet?  (Read 11194 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2019, 20:39:10 »

I came across BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Somerset news article from a few days ago titled "Railway station may return to Shelton Mallet".
Mendip District Council are including a Shepton Parkway option as a part of a £320,000 transport business case study.

Link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-47290855?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR2LFZ4VkLJO4lp5kU_ay_S8twNDyJ7f5qBGhjkn0WweW5bXJRShxz799es

The question is where they think it should go as there's no NR» (Network Rail - home page) lines for miles.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 20:45:20 by johnneyw » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 21:05:12 »

Interesting... at a guess, they have somewhere near Dobbies Garden Centre in mind. However the line back to Witham has the same problem as the Radstock line; it's a bit of a long way round to Bath, and even further to Bristol, if that's where they think people will want to go...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 21:19:40 »

I despair at how out of touch or should I say 'THICK' some civic leaders are. Look at a map showing Shepton Mallet and one will find that a station exists just down the road from Shepton, through Cannards Grave and Evercreech what less than a 10 minute drive away at Castle Cary.   Roll Eyes
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 21:52:50 »

Interesting... at a guess, they have somewhere near Dobbies Garden Centre in mind. However the line back to Witham has the same problem as the Radstock line; it's a bit of a long way round to Bath, and even further to Bristol, if that's where they think people will want to go...

I wonder what the East Somerset Railway is thinking about this? They run the part of the branch nearest to Shepton Mallet and I presume that NR» (Network Rail - home page) own the remaining line to Whitham.
This could complicate matters if the East Somerset Railway doesn't want to come on board.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 21:55:05 »

The question is where they think it should go as there's no NR» (Network Rail - home page) lines for miles.

I wondered that ... but then I've just come back from Bradford-on-Avon where the station was built seven years before the railway line.  Makes sense really ... no issues of having to work on live tracks while works are going on.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 23:16:22 »

Didn't someone point out in the thread about Radstock that there is potential to reopen the line north from Radstock and Midsomer Norton via Wellow to the in-use Bath-BoA» (Bradford-on-Avon - next trains) line? And that the same line extends south from Midsomer N through Binegar to Shepton Mallet? All going in a potentially more useful direction for most expected traffic than either via Witham Friary* or Evercreech.

*Big recommendation for Seymour Arms in Witham Friary. A pub that's fallen through a wormhole from the 1950s.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 10:12:36 »

Didn't someone point out in the thread about Radstock that there is potential to reopen the line north from Radstock and Midsomer Norton via Wellow to the in-use Bath-BoA» (Bradford-on-Avon - next trains) line? And that the same line extends south from Midsomer N through Binegar to Shepton Mallet? All going in a potentially more useful direction for most expected traffic than either via Witham Friary* or Evercreech.

*Big recommendation for Seymour Arms in Witham Friary. A pub that's fallen through a wormhole from the 1950s.

That'd be the Somerset and Dorset... the most feasible route would probably involve linking the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) line to the Limpley Stoke and Camerton near Midford, and you'd need a north-facing connection at Limpley Stoke. Still a bit of a long way round via Bathampton, though!

Here's an alternative modest proposal (or thought experiment!), requiring just a few billion pounds and a huge amount of political will:

Reopen the North Somerset from Bristol to Midsomer Norton. Link that to the S&D route, and follow that to Shepton, then extend down through Evercreech to meet the main line near Castle Cary. That would give you a new through route from Bristol to the south, as well as putting Norton Radstock and Shepton back on the map...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 10:21:50 »

All things are possible given vast sums of money, and years and years of effort. I hate to say this but a Devizes  to Parkway style solution (bus to railhead) is the only realistic way forward. Even the press release doesn't major on a rail solution.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 11:28:12 »

All things are possible given vast sums of money, and years and years of effort. I hate to say this but a Devizes  to Parkway style solution (bus to railhead) is the only realistic way forward. Even the press release doesn't major on a rail solution.

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article really is very short on detail about any proposed station location. Could this be because it hasn't been thought through yet? Is it just a headline grabber? It would be very interesting to see if there are any current suggested sites.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 11:33:56 »

Just rename Castle Cary to castle Cary for Shepton Mallet

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:00 »

Having a station is one thing, but having a station whose trains take you to places where you might want to go is another thing altogether.

Castle Cary is probably fine for people who want to go to London or Taunton, but what if you wanted to take a job or study in Bristol or Bath?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 12:04:59 »

You could say that for a lot of places with stations
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 12:47:24 »

or - for simplicity - "Shepton Mallet Road" (or Somerton Road, or . . .  Huh
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 13:38:06 »

or - for simplicity - "Shepton Mallet Road" (or Somerton Road, or . . .  Huh

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 14:06:47 »

Here's an alternative modest proposal (or thought experiment!), requiring just a few billion pounds and a huge amount of political will:
These might be said to be the same thing: if the political will is there, the money can be found (or borrowed, begged, stolen or harvested).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: