09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 11:41:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[296] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[235] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[56] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[39] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[35] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[17] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New Station for Shepton Mallet?  (Read 11190 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 13:08:02 »

Am I right in thinking that the Wallingford and Watlington branches were originally going to form part of such a route?

Correct: - the Wallingford and Watlington Railway. Unfortunately it ran out of financial breath before it could get past Wallingford on its way from the junction at Wallingford Road station.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2019, 13:29:48 »

Out of Curiosity what is DN & S...I'm from Scotland!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2019, 13:44:26 »

Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 14:01:57 »

Ah, cheers...didn't think Dundee, Newtyle and Strathord was appropriate
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 17:29:45 »

Interesting to look at Beeching's analysis of the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) route - he shows the route from Bath to Templecombe as having similar traffic levels to the Westbury - Salisbury route, though beyond Templecombe traffic was rather lighter. I wonder if these two routes were considered close enough to be duplicates? In a similar vein, the S&D route from Templecombe to Bournemouth may have been considered a duplicate of the Yeovil - Dorchester route... it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall when these decisions were made! I have the feeling that the S&D may have suffered from being historically associated with two of the Western's rivals.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 19:36:29 »

Old company rivalry knows no bounds.  Once their operations fall into your hands, you owe it to your corporate memory to see them dead, dead, dead!!

Cornish/Devon branches passed to the Western - Which ones were closed? The Great Central - Passed to the Midland. The S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) to the Western.

Didn't matter which might have been the best route - the rival must die - and now we have the power at last.  That'll learn 'em!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 20:02:04 »

... The S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) to the Western ...

and the Midland and South West Junction

and the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 20:52:30 »

And from c1964 the Southern routes west of Salisbury to the GWR (Great Western Railway), including the ‘witherered arm’ . It was Gerald Feinnes, in his ‘How to run a railway’, explained how the Salisbury - Exeter was saved.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2019, 22:06:28 »

I seem to recall Gerry Feinnes was instrumental not only in saving Salisbury-Exeter but also the Berks & Hants as a through route. Without him all would go through Bath. Imagine that in 2019! But I suppose had things been left entirely to Beeching everything west of Exeter would have closed too.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2019, 22:45:37 »

I seem to recall Gerry Feinnes was instrumental not only in saving Salisbury-Exeter but also the Berks & Hants as a through route. Without him all would go through Bath. Imagine that in 2019! But I suppose had things been left entirely to Beeching everything west of Exeter would have closed too.

There are various interesting speculations we could make of how the network could be different though perhaps with a similar mileage to today.  But I suspect we could find it getting pretty heated.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 08:02:18 »

... The S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) to the Western ...

and the Midland and South West Junction

and the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton

and the Llanelly Railway and Dock's Swansea Extension

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 10:17:32 »

There are various interesting speculations we could make of how the network could be different though perhaps with a similar mileage to today.  But I suspect we could find it getting pretty heated.

Very likely! But we are where we are.

This question of Shepton Mallet has set some interesting hares running in my mind, though...

The traffic density maps in Beeching's report (which I'll shamelessly link to again here) obviously reflect a different era, but they do give some indication of the relative loadings of various routes. The Oxford to Cambridge route shows similar traffic levels to the Somerset and Dorset and fulfilled a similar role, linking two provincial centres of economic activity. I'm aware of various heritage groups operating along the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) route who would like to see it reopened, but I'm not aware of anyone having done a proper economic analysis into the benefits of a high-quality rail link between Bristol/Bath and Bournemouth/Poole.

I doubt whether the Shepton Mallet report will consider much beyond East Somerset, but maybe someone should!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 11:07:22 »

I would be very interesting to be able to see just what Mendip DC (Direct Current) propose to look at as far as railway/station opening goes in this forthcoming report. Just a rough idea as to the scope of this part of the report could be quite revealing.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 11:18:01 »

Oxford and Cambridge could be expected to generate a significant number of journeys from one to the other (and from both to London, the three together supposedly making the golden triangle that will rescue the whole country) as they're centres of similar types of economy. Is the same true of Bristol/Bath and Bournemouth/Poole? Maybe, I don't know.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 12:38:02 »

Oxford and Cambridge could be expected to generate a significant number of journeys from one to the other (and from both to London, the three together supposedly making the golden triangle that will rescue the whole country) as they're centres of similar types of economy. Is the same true of Bristol/Bath and Bournemouth/Poole? Maybe, I don't know.

Yes, they're not the same - the main similarity is that they were once connected by cross-country routes with moderate traffic levels. However:

• A Bristol - Bournemouth route would link WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about)'s a population of around 900,000 with BCP's 380,000. For comparison, Oxford has 240,000 and Cambridge 280,000.
  • Bournemouth, like Bristol, has a strong financial service sector and (I will admit that I am surprised to read) a thriving youth culture. Unlike Bristol, it has poor transport links with its hinterland.

Who's for 'Western Powerhouse Rail'?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: