Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:01:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heart of Wessex - retirement of Catherine Phillips  (Read 7474 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 28, 2019, 06:59:22 »

The Heart of Wessex Community Rail Partnership has been ably and wonderfully lead by Catherine Phillips for some considerable period.  Traffic has grown a long, long way above average on what's a difficult and rather seasonal line, and stations have been transformed largely by volunteers on a shoeshring budget from unloved facilities into cared for stations.  To give readers an idea of just how much has changed ... the line has moved from being just about the only line proposed for closure in the least draconian version of the Serpell report (1982, option C1 ((on coaches) National route restriction)) to being one on which overcrowding management has been an issue; in my TransWilts days, I worked with Catherine to ensure that we only added extra traffic onto trains / days that could cope.  I understand that Catherine has retired - 3 weeks ago.   Unconfirmed (hence initially "Rumour Mill") but not unexpected; and should this be confirmed. See https://www.heartofwessex.org.uk/our-community-rail-partnership/a-farewell/;  I wish Catherine a long and happy retirement.

I worry for the future shape of what happens to the Heart of Wessex CRP (Community Rail Partnership) and to passengers on the line.  I hope those worries are no more than a fear of the unknown.

The Heart of Wessex service from Weymouth runs up through Dorset via Dorchester and Yeovil and Castle Cary where it joins the main South West to Paddingotn main line, providing the only local service at Bruton and Frome on its way into Westbury. From Westbury, the services carry on via Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon to Bath and Bristol.  Although the service at the southern end of the line is "infrequent" it has been tailored over the years such that the service does as much good as it can bearing in mind the number of trains per day. Once past Frome, you have a few more services and north of Westbury, the Heart of Wessex train is knitted in with other "stoppers" giving an hourly all stations service to Bristol, supplemented by an hourly semi-fast on the Portsmouth to Cardiff secondary main line. There is much through traffic between the section south of Westbury and the section north thereof - significant traffic (for sure) Weymouth to Yeovil, but apart from that flow most of the others from the south are to Trowbridge and beyond.  The Heart of Wessex CRP has logically covered the whole service up to Bristol though tapering out and with Severnside tapering in as it gets closer to the city.

Heart of Wessex has always been many-authority funded; it was the bain of Catherine's life keeping them all on board with a longer term project (which a CRP is) as budgets and election cycles went around and views of the ruling groups sung like pendulums.  A further layer is now being added to that, as some of the areas passed through are moving from county and district to unitary structures.

For "Frequent Posters" I started a thread yesterday which raised some of the possibilities for the future of the Heart of Wessex partnership ... further data to be posted in public as it's verified as being somewhat better than well educated guesses and unconfirmed reports.  Catherine has been an icon to look up to, and a motivator par excellence on what's been a difficult line with lots of volunteers and only half hearted local authority support - her shoes will be hard ones to fill, whether they're filled by a single new person or by a team of other community rail people stepping in as the line passes from Severnside through the corner of TransWilts territory and across Blackmore Vale, ending not far from Purbeck who recently took on their first employed Community Rail Officer.

Edit to add ... on second thoughts, as it was all being discussed openly at the WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) AGM (Annual General Meeting) on Tuesday, the thoughts / possibilities are already in the public domain - so here are notes I made ...

It seems it has been suggested (I'm bring very careful with words!) that the Heart of Wessex CRP be restructured into other Community Rail organisations, to align with the upcoming changes to Comminty Rail philospohies and structures - the move from "designated" to "acredited" if you like.  Suggestions that I have heard (that do seem to fit together) include
1. The transfer of the Westbury to Bristol element of the service to the Severnside CRP
2. The transfer of the Westbury to Weymouth section / merging with the Blackmore Vale Community Rail Partneship
3. The simplication of groups on the Salisbury to Exeter line - old group that preceeded Blackmore Vale to close
4. TransWilts to take over prime responsibility for Community Rail at Trowbridge (? Westbury too)
Suggestions - and they were aired at a public meeting last night - are that there is some competitive element between items (1) and (4); Wiltshire Council has been funding Heart of Wessex annually by between £5500 and £6000 pounds (origianlly £5000, inflation linked) and both CRPs would, I'm sure, be happy to have the extra income. Looking to the Weymouth end of the line, there is concern that the new unitary authority may not have Community Rail up to Yeovil and beyond as a funding choice. The outcome of re-arrangements in Somerset (South Somerset perhaps becoming unitary) is also a concern.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:05:33 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 12:04:35 »

To clarify - I mentioned Blackmore Vale CRP (Community Rail Partnership) but not SERUG in my post above.  Both of these two remain very active and will be into the future to the best of my knowledge ... the group that's going is more of a paperwork exercise cleaning up a name which I had difficultly finding through Google ... and has really been subsumed into the others already.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 18:23:22 »

Thinking about it, I’m not sure this is good news for the promotion of line which HoW(resolve) CRP (Community Rail Partnership) have done such a wonderful job along with such dedicated volunteers looking after the stations along the route.

Will GWR (Great Western Railway) continue to produce the excellent line guide/timetable brochure?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 16:01:51 »

From ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships)

6 Mar, 2019

Heart of Wessex Community Rail Partnership have said a fond farewell to their long standing community rail officer, Catherine Phillips, who has taken retirement.

ACoRP operations manager Paul Webster has this to say about Catherine and her tireless work promoting the line.

“Although I have only known Catherine for a couple of years, her passion for the ‘community’ in Community Rail is very evident, and that over many years as older ACoRP colleagues can attest. Her priority is always about people and making stations welcoming for passengers and this has provided good practice examples for other partnerships. She has built up a tremendous working group of volunteers along the line who all give their time to care for their stations enhance and who have become great friends with each other too. That special touch provided by Catherine and depth of involvement will be missed by the Heart of Wessex CRP (Community Rail Partnership).”

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: