Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:46:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A tribute to class 153 - leaving us in the very near future  (Read 10470 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 17:58:37 »

A few images of class 153 units on Trans-Wilts services;

Love 'em ... but I know I'm not trying to squeeze in the cab, maintain all the equipment, or travel home from Swindon every dat on the 15:18 or 17:36!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 18:35:07 »

A couple of 153 images elsewhere on the GWR (Great Western Railway) network;

153333 is paired up with 150207 as they are seen leaving Dawlish Warren with the 16:43 St James' Park to Paignton service on 05th September 2018.

153325 is paired up with classmate 153369 as they are seen passing St Blazey with the 15:01 Newquay to Par service on 09th October 2018.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 06:19:56 »

Thank you RA.  Lovely shots.  Much appreciated

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 20:11:14 »

Today a 153 has been shuttling to and fro between Cardiff and Taunton coupled to a 150/0.  Seems strange when there are so many diagrams on that route they can only find a 150/2 for, at the moment.  And, with no gangway connection I wonder whether, strictly speaking, they're allowed through the Severn Tunnel?  I did wonder whether the plan was to leave the 153 behind at Cardiff at the end of the day, but no - it's on its way back to Bristol for the night, via Taunton.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 21:18:32 »

Today a 153 has been shuttling to and fro between Cardiff and Taunton coupled to a 150/0.  Seems strange when there are so many diagrams on that route they can only find a 150/2 for, at the moment.  And, with no gangway connection I wonder whether, strictly speaking, they're allowed through the Severn Tunnel?  I did wonder whether the plan was to leave the 153 behind at Cardiff at the end of the day, but no - it's on its way back to Bristol for the night, via Taunton.

My understanding is that new types through the Severn Tunnel must have doors that close between carriages.  Old types have "Grandfather rights", and no gangway (on the end of a 150/0) isn't a problem. 

What do the 387s and 345s have between carriages?  May be issues there if they're to go west of Parkway.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 21:50:07 »

My understanding is that new types through the Severn Tunnel must have doors that close between carriages.  Old types have "Grandfather rights", and no gangway (on the end of a 150/0) isn't a problem. 

Ah - so I'd misunderstood.  I thought the issue was that passengers needed to be able to move to the safety of another carriage if, for instance, there was a fire on board.  Being able to seal off part of the train is maybe good too, but seems perhaps less important than being able to evacuate part of it.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 17:39:43 »

I must be something of a single railcar fan. As well as the 153 I have an affinity for the class 121 bubble cars which used to run on the Henley branch on a Sunday in the 1980s.

Quite like the GWR (Great Western Railway) railcars too but don’t remember them in service!

Me too.

Once travelled from Barnstaple to Exeter (late 80s) in service comprised of two 121s, they bounced around a bit!

As regards their “coffin nail” nickname, I’m too young to remember the Beeching era, however I was walking alongside the South Devon Railway at dusk a decade ago and their green bubble car rattled past me, a pleasant surprise but also one tinged with regret that the scene I had witnessed represented the end for many a line.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 17:59:04 »

Trains without through access have been running through the Severn Tunnel for years
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 19:04:51 »

The end gets ever closer and 153325 is no longer "Citizens' Rail" .  The livery was designed by my colleague Mike Parker-Bray and included a photo of the launch of the additional Newton Abbot - Paignton shuttles in December 13, which meant me, various GWR (Great Western Railway), Devon CC and Torbay Council managers had their picture on the side of a train to much amusement.

The livery was on for four years so we had a good run and thanks to GWR for doing it.  More information about Citizens' Rail here  https://www.citizensrail.org/

From Facebook -
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 19:30:23 »

From Facebook -

Also from Facebook from earlier this week, reproduced with permission of Richard Mallett ... 153-361 arriving at Paignton and still advertising TransWilts.

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 21:57:23 »

Not a fitting end with GWR (Great Western Railway), for 153 333. the picture of the day for today, 18th March.

http://www.railway-centre.com/march1.html
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 22:22:36 »

Travelled on the Trans-Wilts branded 153 back from Torre to Newton Abbot this afternoon.  It was attached to a Pacer as part of a three coach train.  As an aside, our Citizens' Rail shuttles (NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) - PGN) are now a Cl 158 having started in 2013 as a Cl 153.
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 23:05:37 »

From information received today the 153s are off to Bristol tomorrow, Sunday 24th March, and I note that there is a 16:22 from Exeter TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot) to Westbury DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) sidings.

Today, 333,369 and 329 were operating on Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth)/Riviera/Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) services coupled together, 325 was on Exeter depot and 361 was, by elimination, the one working on the Looe branch.

End of another era.

Would post photo of the three but can't work out how to!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 06:18:32 »

From information received today the 153s are off to Bristol tomorrow, Sunday 24th March, and I note that there is a 16:22 from Exeter TMD (Traction Maintenance Depot) to Westbury DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) sidings.

Today, 333,369 and 329 were operating on Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth)/Riviera/Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) services coupled together, 325 was on Exeter depot and 361 was, by elimination, the one working on the Looe branch.

End of another era.

We have some too-well-hidden information on that ... which I have just extracted and put in its own thread in "News and Assistance" at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21265.0

For a one-off (and the departure of the 153s is a one-off ...) happy for you to email me a picture or two and I can put them in my own web space for inclusion in your posts.  My email is graham - at - wellho - dot - net .

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 11:54:11 »

End of another era.

That 16+22 move from Exeter could be just a move to balance units, there have been similar ones recently and going to Westbury because the line is closed between Weston and Bristol.    This move is being operated by GW (Great Western) where transfers from TOC (Train Operating Company) to TOC are arranged by ROSCOS who use Freight/ROG companies thus are shown as ZZ in Real Time Trains.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: