Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:46:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Bus Survey Result (Bristol): March 14, 2019
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Passenger Survey launch event - Bristol, 14 March  (Read 1855 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:51:06 »

From https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/news-events-media/news/transport-user-voice-march-2019-bus-passengers-rate-service/

Transport User Voice – March 2019 – Bus passengers rate their service

Bus Passenger Survey launch event

The latest round of results from the annual Bus Passenger Survey carried out by Transport Focus across England and Scotland will be unveiled in Bristol on Thursday 14 March.

As the location suggests, there will be a focus this year on what passengers say about local bus services across Bristol and the West of England Combined Authority region. This particular city region is a fascinating case study, with passenger numbers up against a backdrop of challenging ‘growing pains’ caused by congestion and the impact on bus services caused by city centre expansion and rebuilding.

Several key speakers will offer their own perspectives on the latest survey results, including James Freeman, managing director at First, West of England, someone from the Department for Transport, a senior representative from the mayor of Bristol’s Transport Board and Robert Pain, senior insight advisor at Transport Focus who leads the work on the Bus Passenger Survey.

Presentations will be followed by a panel discussion chaired by Transport Focus Board member Rob Wilson.

The event offers a great opportunity to network with people from different authorities and operators around the country.

If you would like to attend, please contact yvonne.fox-burmby@transportfocus.org.uk as soon as possible.

I have been encouraged to post the above, with the comment that there's still plenty of capacity left and it would be really good to have people sign up and attend.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:01:13 »

on Thursday 14 March.

Do they assume that bus passengers are all retired and don't have jobs to go to during the week?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:15:10 »

on Thursday 14 March.

Do they assume that bus passengers are all retired and don't have jobs to go to during the week?

There are Civil servants/Local Government involved. They don't do weekends.....in fact anytime after 4pm is unlikely, especially on a Friday! 🙂
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 16:34:02 »

on Thursday 14 March.

There are Civil servants/Local Government involved. They don't do weekends.....in fact anytime after 4pm is unlikely, especially on a Friday! 🙂

I "liked" that ... as it brought a smile to my face.    But actually there are some excellent central and local government folks around who do and will attend meetings outside 9-to-5 Mon-to-Fri.

But you hit a massive problem with planning meetings that involve both working users and 9 to 5 employees who you're inviting to attend as part of their work roll.  I can't offer you a solution, but some examples / thoughts

a) Our forum meet on 9th February - a Saturday - was scheduled on that day of the week through a vote here, but it was a really close run thing and there was no clear winner.  Big "thank you" to Jane Jones for coming along that day - GWR (Great Western Railway) rather than government, but never the less extra appreciated.  For the record, we had invited other (national) bodies with which we are not quite so closely linked but may have been interested, and all four sent encouraging words but apologies.

b) TravelWatch SouthWest has traditionally been on a Saturday too - and we (speaking for the board) have noted a  poor attendance from all but the keenest public sector members.  Whether that's because it's weekend or for other reasons, I don't know.  We also noted that - as per many public transport community groups (and we are a group of groups after all) - we have an embarrassingly more mature age profile than most, with a very high proportion of retired men (yes, gender issue too!).  So we are switching - as an experiment - to a weekday this time - 20th March 2019.  Looking through attendee lists for last October, and speaking with some doubtful people, we established that from / within our TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) base the experiment was worthwhile.  Fares from within the TWSW area are only a little peak higher (we appreciate that once you hit "the east" it's more for outsiders), and there is actually a better morning train service.  The complementary coach from Bournemouth (back to the Shepton Mallet thread!) which is provided by GoAhead because the train service is so awkward will be running - thank you to GoAhead!

c) Yesterday's meeting in Keynsham was 16:15 to 18:00.  I'm ashamed to say I arrived late - indeed so late that I was even after a gentleman who we always expect to come in late.  Prior commitment in Melksham to 15:15, lack of suitable train thence to Keynsham, bus connections too slow and I drove and got stuck in a gridlock on the top of Bath. Noted that as we approached 18:00, people started to leave - I suspect that was because of evening family commitments.   Good turnout mind, slightly younger and more gender mixed than TWSW.

I have no solution. If others do, please tell me.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 21:29:15 »

on Thursday 14 March.

Not my particular sector, but I quite enjoy my odd Saturday at time and a half or a Sunday at double time. I'd expected that such dedication would have extended to those spending our money too...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: