Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:50:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Go-op Taunton: March 21, 2019
  • Go-op Frome: April 04, 2019
  • Go-op, Westbury: June 06, 2019
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 21st March and 4th April 2019 - Go-op Taunton to Swindon service public meetings  (Read 7435 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 08, 2019, 18:22:58 »

Headline - "Rail Firm Plans for New Services", Wiltshire Times, first edition in March 2019 (7th?). Posted here to flag up public meetings.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 15:11:43 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 20:15:15 »

Respect to them that they don’t give up. I think they’ve been around as long as this forum has.

Perhaps with changes coming to the way the rail network is run with the franchise system falling out of favour; this could be their moment.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 21:09:50 »

We can hope, but open access has been such a success in the bus industry, please forgive me if I am a little sceptical. 
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 21:14:54 »

Passing loop to be built? Ouch, that's got to be an expensive hurdle.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 21:46:42 »

Capacity is beginning to be a bit of a problem.  "Passing loop" is a bit of a shorthand; "capacity improvements - for example a passing loop" is what's needed and indeed Paul said "such as a passing loop".  Just under 2 years ago we had a thread that looked at the options ... I started with a dozen and found that other suggestions were added - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18449 .   A further thread at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20765 and yet more at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=17602.msg203553#msg203553

As you suggest, none cheap.  Keeps coming up.  Capacity enhancement has moved from being a silly joke to a serious  question and is heading towards being an absolute necessity!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:28:58 »

I applaud Co-op for promoting these additional trains on the TransWilts sector and indeed providing change free access to stations both North/East if Swindon  and South of Westbury.
However there are the issues of the single line capacity between Thingley and Bradford-on-Avon, and I imagine that there are also capacity problems on the rest of the route together with such issues as the Westbury 4th platform. I also wonder where the financial return is going to come, it would have to shared with other TOCs (Train Operating Company).
I does seem that this time Co-op are making a real push to get something going, but there have been  previous attempts over several years when the signs were right, yet nothing happened.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 09:31:18 »

Somewhere between £7.8 and £35 million, according to this - Melksham's platform might possibly be a bit too short for the Penryn solution; maybe the Highley solution would work? Wink

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 12:13:42 »

Somewhere between £7.8 and £35 million, according to this - Melksham's platform might possibly be a bit too short for the Penryn solution; maybe the Highley solution would work? Wink

Ah yes, takes me back to my visit to the Severn Valley in 2017. Just an observation but this would be a provision that would be of benefit to every TOC (Train Operating Company) using the line, not just Go-Op, so presumably this raises some issues of who should be contributing what to the cost.
As an aside, should a passing loop go in at Melksham, would there still be space there to provide passive provision for a possible second platform in some distant future?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 13:33:38 »

I also wonder where the financial return is going to come, [capacity improvements] would have to shared with other TOCs (Train Operating Company).

Indeed - from input from the Melksham Rail User Group to last year's Swindon and Wiltshire Rail study,  a mapped diagram of the flows along the Trowbridge (24)to Chippenham (22) line:

As an aside, should a passing loop go in at Melksham, would there still be space there to provide passive provision for a possible second platform in some distant future?

Should there be a second track actually at Melksham Station, I believe there would be space for a platform alongside it too.  I'm not so sure, sadly, if there would be space at the rear of the platform for bridge and/or shelter, though it would get a bit easier with a staggered platform.   There is also space south of the road bridge for a platform on what would be the northbound side, and level (though a bit longer than is ideal access around - using the main road bridge to cross between the platforms, with a light controlled road crossing, could save the cost of an access for all footbridge, and have the traffic calming benefit (program the lights on the brow?) to provide a protected bus stop called "Melksham Station" and providing integrated transport opportunities.   Somewhat academic, as I would expect the line through Melksham itself to remain single track with most of the viable loop options, only being doubled if the whole line was.

Key for diagram

To the South West
Green 1 - passenger flows Frome, Taunton and beyond
Green 2 - passenger flows Yeovil, Dorchester and Weymouth
Green 3 - passenger flows Stonehenge, Salisbury, Southampton Central, Southampron Airporrt
Green 4 - South West to London (diversion route) flows
Blue 1 and Blue 2 - Mendip Quarries (stone)
Blue 3 - Quidhampton (spoil / landfill)
Blue 4 - Southampton Docks (containers; various goods)
Blue 5 - Westbury (Track panels)

To the North East
Green 11 - Oxford, Milands, North
Green 12 - Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford, beyond
Green 13 - Reading and London
Green 14 - South West to London (diversion route) flows
Blue 11 - via East / West rail to northern home counties
Blue 12 - via Banbury to Midlands and north of England

On line
Red 21 - Swindon (current stations)
Red 22 - Chippenham
Red 23 - Melksham
Red 24 - Trowbridge
Red 25 - Westbury
Grey 31 - Royal Wootton Bassett (suggested)

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 11:20:03 »

Press release from Go-op, updating their plans and with more specific meeting info {{here}}

Community owned rail operator submits proposals for new services to connect market towns to the rail network

Rail travel could get a boost in Somerset and Wiltshire as a new train operator proposes a significant addition to the rail timetables from summer 2020. Unusually, the operator is a co-operative: a not- for-profit business owned by those who travel on its trains and work for it. GO-OP (Original Poster / topic starter) Co-operative Limited is keen to hear from potential new members – which could be both prospective travellers on the new service, and those seeking employment.

[continues]

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 15:11:04 »

From This is Wiltshire - a Swindon centric version.   With - I note - a new event date of 6th June for Westbury.

TRAIN passengers could speed between Swindon and Oxford in under an hour, if a new railway co-operative has its way.

Go-Op, a company founded a decade ago by frustrated rail passengers from Somerset, hopes to run regular services between Somerset and Nuneaton.

The firm hopes to launch the project next summer, with the service up and running by 2031. It needs to raise £3.5m over the next three to six months.

Alex Lawrie, operations director and a founder member of the co-operative, said: “The technical difficulties are hard to overstate. The UK (United Kingdom) railways are for good reason carefully regulated and we must prove in great detail that our ideas stack up.

[snip]

Go-op will run a consultation event in Taunton, Somerset, tonight. Other events to show off the plans to the public will be held in Frome on April 4 and Westbury on June 6.

I can't help feeling that a typo has crept into the article with the proposed service start date;  talk last week was of summer 2020 - perhaps the date in the article should be 2021?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 17:13:05 »

This is a "diary" thread about meetings ... update on the "Go-op update" thread:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11010.msg260888#msg260888

Noting that 2031 is the end date of the plan (2020 to 2031) rather than the start date - solves the mystery of where that year cam from in the press report.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 18:37:30 »

These meetings, according to their website, all have different main topics. Only tonight's deals with the train service; April 4th appears to be concerning being an entrepreneur (1530-1700) and June 6 appears to be a Stakeholder update and AGM (Annual General Meeting)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 16:58:43 »

These meetings, according to their website, all have different main topics. Only tonight's deals with the train service; April 4th appears to be concerning being an entrepreneur (1530-1700) and June 6 appears to be a Stakeholder update and AGM (Annual General Meeting)

April 4th .... a second following meeting?  From The Wiltshire Times

A NEW community rail co-operative is to stage a public meeting in Frome next Thursday (April 4) for commuters to find out more about its proposed services.

[snip]

Alex Lawrie, Go-Op’s managing director, will brief commuters at the Cheese & Grain in Frome from 5-6.30pm. There will be another meeting at Bridge House, Trowbridge, on June 6, from 11am.

I wonder how many commuters will be (back) in Frome for a 5 p.m. meeting ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 17:25:51 »

I wonder how many commuters will be (back) in Frome for a 5 p.m. meeting ...

And an incoming message to prove my point!

Keep me updated as I cannot get to the meetings due to work commitments

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: