Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:36 Liskeard to Looe
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:30:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost stations and parliamentary services  (Read 1838 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 09, 2019, 14:42:26 »

A railway service that's so infrequent it's of no normal use, or a station where more often than not no-one gets on or off a train ... these are sometimes known as "parliamentary services" and "ghost stations".  I've been following a series of differing views on a social media forum as to the definitions ... in a South West (GWR (Great Western Railway) franchise area) I think the following might not be too far out.

Parliamentary service or station - "a service that's provided to meet a franchise or direct award requirement without little or no consideration of developing traffic on that service or at that station, or providing something of use to the economy of the catchment(s) served or people who might use it"

Ghost station - "a station at which, more often than not, no-one gets off or on when a train calls or may call if the station is a request stop"

Examples in GWR land ...

Parly - "A service from London Paddington shall call between 2325 and 0015 on Mondays to Fridays. A service to London Paddington shall call between 0515 and 0545 on Mondays to Fridays."

Ghost - A station with 1,780 journeys per annum, and just about 7,000 trains that may call there if someone sticks a hand out or asks the Train Manager

The "ghost station" definintion is a bit woolly.  Looking for an example in GWR land, I initially landed on a station with 2394 journeys and around 4600 possible calls. At first glance, not quite a ghost station.  At second look, it might be as it's likely that the 2,394 figure was not made up of solo traveller only, and perhaps the number of calle was more like 1,500 to 1,700.  At third look: are there a lot of rover, ranger and staff journeys, or people buying tickets to other stations but then getting off short?

On the definitions here, the TransWilts service was "parliamentary" from 2006 to 2013 but is no longer so; the station at Melksham was never a "ghost".   A station in Scotland I visited - with 102 passengers in a year with around 500 calls per annum certainly was.

The TransWilts is a good example of a parliamentary service that should not be parliamentary ... get the service right (or even a bit better than useless, but still poor) and it will grow.  And we have examples of stations that were (I think) in the ghost category but have climbed right out.  Can you tell me which GWR station climbed from 356 passengers in 2004/5 to 15,262 in 2017/18 or from 7,361 to 138,996 in the same period.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 18:49:13 »

Copplestone and Parson Street

(I cheated - I looked them up!)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 18:59:06 »

Copplestone and Parson Street

(I cheated - I looked them up!)

Correct ... did you look up the ghost station and parly examples earlier in the post  Grin Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 16:06:53 »

Your definition of a Parliamentary service is incorrect - it is usually a service (can be just once a week) that is run to keep a line open, rather than have to issue a closure notice (required if no service perovided).

Chiltern's Ruislip-West Ealing (was Paddington) is keeping the piece of line through Greenford open from South Ruislip, for example. This runs Mon-Fri only.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 20:32:46 »

Your definition of a Parliamentary service is incorrect - it is usually a service (can be just once a week) that is run to keep a line open, rather than have to issue a closure notice (required if no service perovided).

Chiltern's Ruislip-West Ealing (was Paddington) is keeping the piece of line through Greenford open from South Ruislip, for example. This runs Mon-Fri only.

And I would add:

..., provide the mimimum service required by the government on letting of the franchise, or maintained only to serve train crew competence across a particular route.

Ghost trains are those which are parliamentary but also those that are not widely advertised.  Such as Wandsworth Road - Battersea Park on the Overground.

Ghost stations are either stations only served by parliamentary trains stations (such as Denton) or are only served by a few trains of those scheduled to pass it.  Examples include Ardwick, IBM, Chapelton, Portmouth Arms and Pilning.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 10:25:52 »

And I would add:

..., provide the mimimum service required by the government on letting of the franchise, or maintained only to serve train crew competence across a particular route.

Hmm, not quite. Yes if the requirement is a single service/day or week, but not if the requirement is several trains a day.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: