Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:48:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Bus Running Day, Chippenham: May 26, 2019
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 26th May 2019 - Chippenham Bus Rally and Running Day  (Read 5901 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 10, 2019, 20:02:41 »

http://www.bristolbusevents.co.uk

We are holding our third Chippenham Bus Rally and Running Day since the sad demise of Bristol Harbourside event. This year features a display to celebrate fifty years since the formation of the National Bus Company (NBC), an important event in the bus industry whatever your views on the demise of old companies and traditional, smart liveries that went with them.

As usual, there will be buses and sales stands at Wiltshire College & University Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham, and the opportunity to ride free on vintage buses running a series of routes based on Chippenham Bus Station. Click here to download a vehicle entry form and here to download a trade stall entry form which will be published as soon as they become available.

Excellent day out last year.    Ironically, no bus connections available from Melksham (unless they run some 234s) but there will be trains

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 20:14:31 »

From last year

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:00 »

Some of those buses look familiar from last September's Kingsbridge Vintage Bus Rally, which I can thoroughly recommend, unless you don't like vintage buses of course!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 12:11:08 »

From last year

I don't remember seeing you at Lyneham  Grin

I've got a shot of the same bus in the same place with the same shadows so we were clearly on the same one. If I could work out how to post an image on this forum I'd upload it Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 13:22:11 »

I don't remember seeing you at Lyneham  Grin

I've got a shot of the same bus in the same place with the same shadows so we were clearly on the same one. If I could work out how to post an image on this forum I'd upload it Smiley

Hi, Robin

I think the bus did multiple trips that day, operating with a frequency that most rural locations would be highly envious of today.   The sun may not have move around all that far.   Were you on the return run that accidentally ended up in Iceland car park in Chippenham?

The current version of the forum software does not include image hosting for use within a post - members who embed posts upload them to various image hosting services or to their own web space.  How to include an image you have uploaded elsewhere is described in the first of the following links, with specifics about certain hosting services in the following links.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18408.0
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=19774.0
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20623.0

Should you wish when posting, you can select "additional options" and add up to 4 attachment to your post, which will be stored on our server.   Images will appear at the end of your post, as thumbnails, and reader can click on them to see them full size if they wish.  Note that display tools such as "recent posts" do not show the attachment thumbnails at all and unless you comment in your thread, people may overlook them.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 14:13:15 »

Hi, Robin

Were you on the return run that accidentally ended up in Iceland car park in Chippenham?

Yes I was a victim of that lack of route knowledge on the part of the driver...  Grin

Thanks for the info on uploading images
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 17:42:51 »

Hi, Robin

Were you on the return run that accidentally ended up in Iceland car park in Chippenham?

Yes I was a victim of that lack of route knowledge on the part of the driver...  Grin

This year we pre-empted the problem ... we had already been directing an out-of-town driver during the run, and suggested he turn left at the point where straight ahead takes you to Tesco or Iceland!

Some further images of old buses ...

Interesting day ... as well as Robin stopped off / chatted with three other people I knew.  Bit of a "busman's holiday" for them as they're concerned as I am with current transport (as well as taking an interest in today's historic pieces).

Also spoke with a lady who moved to Portishead 25 years ago and was told "3 years and there will be trains".  I assured her that in rail, someone once told me you add a zero on the end of time and cost - so 30 years after she got there (i.e. 5 years from now), she may be in luck. She did not understand the need to upgrade the line to run the trains at a significantly higher speed than the 30 m.p.h. of freight - the roads are so clogged that even the lower speed trains would be a success ....

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 18:31:32 »

On the run I took to Lacock we had a similar problem with lack of route knowledge, as the driver proceeded to turn right into the High Street rather than carry straight on down the old main road to The George. Then he found the road closed at the far end and had great fun reversing his bus amongst the parked cars and pedestrians who weren't looking where they were going.

I fully understand that these are effectively volunteer bus drivers but one would have thought that they would have taken the trouble to find out exactly where they were going before they set out. That said, 20 or so years ago I was on a rail replacement bus from Oxford to Didvot nd I had to give the driver directions to Culham and Radley stations... Roll Eyes

Whilst on that trip to Lacock I was sitting next to three bus drivers (or former bus drivers) who were telling each other tales about various antics of other drivers. On more than one occasion I thought that a railway driver would have been taken off the footplate for less. Food for thought perhaps...
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:04:20 »

Quote from: grahame
Some further images of old buses ...

I am intrigued as to why Faresaver participate in this event in the way they do.

Firstly, their bus remained static all day, as it did last year.

Secondly, a "54" plate bus is getting on a bit but not really yet of pensionable age. Indeed, this bus was working on the X31 service to Bath this morning  Grin
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 16:18:12 »

FAO Graham

Shortly after I posted the above post on Tuesday I got a personal Coffee Shop message from you. However, it didn't actually say anything other then the standard text that is generated for these messages.

So if you meant to message me about something, please do it again or post it here, or if you hit "send personal message" by mistake please ignore this post!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 17:30:48 »

FAO Graham

Shortly after I posted the above post on Tuesday I got a personal Coffee Shop message from you. However, it didn't actually say anything other then the standard text that is generated for these messages.

So if you meant to message me about something, please do it again or post it here, or if you hit "send personal message" by mistake please ignore this post!

Ah yes ... I'll message you again ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 17:35:52 »

FAO Graham

Ah yes ... I'll message you again ...

Sent again ... and oddly the original is in my outbox as if it went.   If you get another blank email. And for the avoidance of worry, it was a bit of a quip and nothing serious AT ALL ... in fact the joke has probably died with time.

Must run - train to catch!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: