Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:32:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Reservations  (Read 9804 times)
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« on: March 11, 2019, 16:59:55 »

Odd unable to get reserved seat on the Saturday 830am Newton Abbot to London or the 1803pm back. I might try later in week, was told there should still be unreserved on the day. Never had this problem before when HST (High Speed Train) and there was always plenty of unreserved.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 17:54:19 by REVUpminster » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 17:13:12 »

The last two times I have ridden on Class 80x, the reservation system has been out of commission. Cue much embarrassment as people who have sat in what appear to be unreserved seats are asked to move by other people who have reserved them...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 18:22:58 »

The last two times I have ridden on Class 80x, the reservation system has been out of commission. Cue much embarrassment as people who have sat in what appear to be unreserved seats are asked to move by other people who have reserved them...

…..but if the reservation system is out of commission I thought all reservations were null and void?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 19:13:20 »

…..but if the reservation system is out of commission I thought all reservations were null and void?
Correct. But that doesn’t stop some on insisting on their ‘reserved seat’ even when the carriage is probably half empty.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 20:29:15 »

Correct. But that doesn’t stop some on insisting on their ‘reserved seat’ even when the carriage is probably half empty.

Indeed. I expect this causes more arguments and hassle on trains than anything else. I've witnessed such conversations numerous times.

And it shouldn't really be surprising. If you are sold a reservation, even though you don't actually pay anything for it but do go to the trouble of obtaining it, you expect to be able to use it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 20:40:49 »

Indeed. I expect this causes more arguments and hassle on trains than anything else. I've witnessed such conversations numerous times.

And it shouldn't really be surprising. If you are sold a reservation, even though you don't actually pay anything for it but do go to the trouble of obtaining it, you expect to be able to use it.

The text describing them is sometime a little woolly, for example:
Advance fares are valid only on the date and train shown on the ticket and seat reservation and are non-refundable.

"valid only" ... "seat reservation" ... so the ticket is only valid in that seat, right??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 21:00:35 »

A couple of weeks ago I arrived early and got on a nearly empty train at Temple Meads, heading for Swindon with two kids. We got table seats; always good if you're in a family group. By the time the train left Bristol it was full. At Bath, a family of four got on with their reservation ticket; there was (I think!) an announcement to the effect that the reservation system wasn't working, but it was barely audible. I was very glad when they walked past us, but they did turf four people out of their seats at the next table. I'm afraid I think I might have asked them to take it up with the guard if they had attempted to turf us out, but it also occurred to me that I would have been pretty miffed if I'd turned up with what I considered to be a reservation and found someone sitting in 'my' seats' - especially on a very full train, with kids in tow.

Not good enough!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 13:26:58 »

More generally on reservations. When booking a ticket online for an Off-Peak or Anytime ticket( i.e. not dedicated to a specific train) it offers a reservation usually. This results in seats apparently reserved but not occupied if the passenger (customer) travels on a different train. Eventually if its full, the seats get taken, but it's not ideal. Can't think of a simple way round this.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 13:31:28 »

More generally on reservations. When booking a ticket online for an Off-Peak or Anytime ticket( i.e. not dedicated to a specific train) it offers a reservation usually. This results in seats apparently reserved but not occupied if the passenger (customer) travels on a different train. Eventually if its full, the seats get taken, but it's not ideal. Can't think of a simple way round this.

Stop offering reservations online, except for customers with disabled or senior railcards. They are in general an unmitigated pain. Make those who want them for the sake of causing smarmy confrontations go to a railway station and queue up.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 13:52:02 »

Stop offering reservations online, except for customers with disabled or senior railcards. They are in general an unmitigated pain. Make those who want them for the sake of causing smarmy confrontations go to a railway station and queue up.

What a ridiculous comment. People want (and are encouraged by GWR (Great Western Railway) to make) reservations in order to secure a seat, for what are often journeys of many hours duration. Nothing to do with "smarmy confrontations"

A "survival of the fittest" approach where those who move fastest & have the sharpest elbows have the best chance of a seat would most likely have much worse outcomes......fancy being the TM(resolve) who has to sort that out? Or perhaps you'd like to take your chance & stand from Plymouth to Paddington one Sunday afternoon?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 14:10:52 »

Gentlemen  ...

The current system for the booking of reserved seats that brings the system into disrepute and conflict could be usefully revised. If the proportion of reserved seats actually taken was much higher, it should mean both fewer seats showing as reserved so more spaces for the 'casual', and less chance of regular 'casuals' sitting in seats marked reserved in the first place as they would know they would very likely (an not just possibly) get chucked out.  But ( ? $64,000 ) how to achieve that, without putting people who want a reserved seat having one?

Seat reservations used to have a fee attached with them and - though I'm not going to be popular - I might suggest the re-introduction of a 10p fee. Using the plastic carrier bag model to change behaviour.  Collect all the 10p fees and pass them to a good cause if you like ... waive the fee for bookings on a disabled card, if you like.

I've probably not thought of some problems with this idea but ... but I certainly don't like alternatives such as queuing at a ticket office offered so far. Nor do I like  anything else which will put all but the fittest off travelling by train, or encourages further the system that the seats are all taken by the most fit people who don't need them as they rush from The Lawn, with carriage lobbies reserved for those who are pregnant, with small children, sick, or too frail to run.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 14:14:42 »

More generally on reservations. When booking a ticket online for an Off-Peak or Anytime ticket( i.e. not dedicated to a specific train) it offers a reservation usually.
It does generally need a positive request on behalf of the person booking for a seat reservation to be generated with a non-Advance ticket now, compared with the early days of online booking when it was pretty automatic or at least the default.

There is a belief by some that just buying a ticket from selecting a train at a set time in some manner guarantees a seat on that service, even if none is specified. Hence the complaints about trains being 'overbooked' at peak times.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 14:23:52 »

I tend to book a seat on my up train to London as I know which train I plan to catch.  I may miss it though if there are delays getting to the station.

In my experience of paper reservations the normal reaction to an empty reserved seat is to check the originating station and, if it has been passed, use the seat.  The same principle can apply to the electronic signs in the IETs (Intercity Express Train).
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 14:29:55 »

In my experience of paper reservations the normal reaction to an empty reserved seat is to check the originating station and, if it has been passed, use the seat.
Then Broadgage comes back from the buffet Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 14:32:46 »

Make a reserbvation *only* by buying online & thus tying the reservation to the ticket. If tyou need to change it, then it's changable online via your account. If you want a reservation, book online. Ok, one might not use it, but at least there arent reservations across multiple trains.

Ditto with agencies =- they buy & amend reservations via an online account - one reservation per ticket bought.

Exception - Disabled & Senior railcards, who would still be able to book via any chaneel.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: