Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:27:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New train deliveries remain stalled as passengers wait  (Read 954 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:50:53 »

From Rail News

New train deliveries remain stalled as passengers wait

PROBLEMS with software and other technical issues are now delaying the delivery of more than a hundred new trains.

Some lines are making do with reduced services or life-expired trains as a result, while the reopening of one new route has been put back indefinitely until its rolling stock is given the all-clear.

Not (any) new stories, but a worrying pattern and the article isn't complete in its list.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 09:22:43 »

No mention for example of Hull Trains....so thet've 'borrowed' a GWR (Great Western Railway) Castle class HST (High Speed Train) from the south west in the meantime.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:10 »

No mention for example of Hull Trains....so thet've 'borrowed' a GWR (Great Western Railway) Castle class HST (High Speed Train) from the south west in the meantime.

Short set but are they using "Castles" - video I have seen shows (I think) 5 carriages, 1.5 first class, and doors with 'andles on the outside ... but then they may be swapping sets around.

No mention of 802 delays on the Bedwyns

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 10:08:25 »

Short set but are they using "Castles" - video I have seen shows (I think) 5 carriages, 1.5 first class, and doors with 'andles on the outside ... but then they may be swapping sets around.

No mention of 802 delays on the Bedwyns

As I understand the current situation (might change tomorrow of course Roll Eyes), is that some of the 'Castle' sets are initially going to be slam door so that they can get them into service earlier (i.e. by the December 2019 timetable change).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:16:43 »

As I understand the current situation (might change tomorrow of course Roll Eyes), is that some of the 'Castle' sets are initially going to be slam door so that they can get them into service earlier (i.e. by the December 2019 timetable change).

Yes - I heard of short HSTs (High Speed Train) working with slam doors.   Lots of questions ... Would they have the loos changed by then to ensure a disabled loo and no track dumping on each train?  Would they be able to keep to the (new) timetable with shorter station dwells since the train manager would have to walk up and down if whenever someone left a door open on an unstaffed platform?  Would they still be called "Castles"?

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:25:43 »

Software and computer problems seem to be a growing problem.
Many of the IET (Intercity Express Train) failures have been "computer says no" rather than a physical component breaking, dropping off, or catching fire.

And the IET design is now at least 5 years old, so newer trains for other parts of the network are potentially even more complicated with more things for the computers "to say no to"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:49:12 »

Software and computer problems seem to be a growing problem.
Many of the IET (Intercity Express Train) failures have been "computer says no" rather than a physical component breaking, dropping off, or catching fire.

Yes, mind you it's a bit of a double-edged sword that one.  Some of the 'computer says no' incidents might have prevented the much worse situation of a component breaking, dropping off or catching fire! 

Asset monitoring such as Hitachi Rail Europe receiving a real time message sent automatically from the train saying an engine is poorly is much better than that only being discovered when 'on the shed' that night as it allows better maintenance planning and reduces the number of failures that occur in service when a 'poorly' engine turns into something more terminal.

On the flip side, spurious faults can be an annoying source of unnecessary delay, so it is important that on board computers work properly, and with new trains it does seem to take an age for them to settle down.  There are signs that the IET software is improving though - witness the recent HSS (High Speed Services) performance and reliability statistics which simply would not be that good if the trains were regularly sitting down in service.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 13:20:15 »

Has ATP (Automatic Train Protection) ever got to a state of really being considered reliable? Quite a lot of train faults used to be attributed to that as I recall.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 13:46:26 »

Has ATP (Automatic Train Protection) ever got to a state of really being considered reliable? Quite a lot of train faults used to be attributed to that as I recall.

I'd say it's pretty reliable.  There are usually a few locations where the brake is automatically applied due to trackside equipment issues, which causes delays, though nothing too severe (especially now as the brake on IETs (Intercity Express Train) can be fully recovered much quicker than on HSTs (High Speed Train) where you could often be brought down to a crawl).  Failure of the on-board equipment is pretty rare given the number of times it is used per day.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: