Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:25:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[92] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] Return of the BRUTE?
[69] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[50] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Railway Switch Developed  (Read 1872 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:01 »

Engineers at Loughborough University have developed a new railway switch which could cut failure related cancellations by as much as 90 per cent - https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/engineers-develop-railway-innovation

The new Repoint switch uses three motors to lift and shift the rails from left to right to change the direction of an oncoming train.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:58 »

Interesting. not sure how adding lift into the workings improves reliability. Most point failures are lack of detection, which relies on very close tolerance to ensure that one switch rail is locked against its stock rail and the the other has a gap sufficiently wide to allow the wheel flange to pass through, and that  the FPL (Facing Point Lock) is engaged to ensure the point doesn't move.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 15:12:34 »

It reduces friction (obviously) during the switching travel but its a sure bet something will get wedged under the switch rail once its lifted...... Roll Eyes

After nearly 50 years in the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) industry I can tell you the best way to stop such failures is to maintain the points properly in the first place! Grin

There's a video here showing it in operation:
https://youtu.be/kZASTbnkjgQ

Good to see some hi-tech rolling stock in that............

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 15:25:14 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 15:55:30 »

So it avoids single point of failure by adding extra actuators, is what I gather from that video. I didn't gather how though or what lifting has to do with it (is it part of the locking mechanism?).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 16:19:32 »

So it avoids single point of failure by adding extra actuators, is what I gather from that video. I didn't gather how though or what lifting has to do with it (is it part of the locking mechanism?).

I think the idea is that the action of the switch rail dropping all the way down serves as a lock, and its vertical position can be used for detection. That in turn is sensed at each of the three actuators, giving triple redundancy for detection as well as actuation. However, I would have thought that you could triplicate the point motors and lock detectors, and most likely the locking mechanism too if you put your mind to it.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 21:15:25 »

The big difference seems to be that two parts can fail and the train still runs. The lift and drop method could (and I didn't spot how it did it) reduce wear and tear. I'm of the school of thought having two engines on an aircraft merely doubles your chance of an engine failure, but let's see it follow the usual route of intense testing, then deployment somewhere quiet with intense scrutiny, then somewhere with a bit more traffic. It will all work wonderfully until the Monday morning after one is installed somewhere crucial.

But just because it's never been done that way doesn't mean we've been doing it right.

Now, please!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:38 »

From the video, it appears to operate via a vertically sweeping, semi-circular arc such that there is no sliding motion as in the conventional switch blade. This will be a lot easier - and less messier - to lubricate and maintain. As long as the arc actuator does not break (nothing is ever guaranteed) when the switch is at rail level, it must be either one side or the other, held laterally by the troughs into which it drops.

Its Achilles' heal is debris - particularly ballast - getting into the trough and preventing the switch from dropping home.  All three sensors would fail to detect and the route would fail.  I have had a conventional point fail detection because of a twig or leaf mulch, plus the usual ballast. I can only see this mechanism operating in a sterile environment such as a Crossrail tunnel where everything is set in concrete - not in the Great Outdoors.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 08:38:31 »

From the video, it appears to operate via a vertically sweeping, semi-circular arc such that there is no sliding motion as in the conventional switch blade. This will be a lot easier - and less messier - to lubricate and maintain. As long as the arc actuator does not break (nothing is ever guaranteed) when the switch is at rail level, it must be either one side or the other, held laterally by the troughs into which it drops.

The actuator is actually 3 actuators and can operate with any one of them so I don't see this as an issue.

Its Achilles' heal is debris - particularly ballast - getting into the trough and preventing the switch from dropping home.  All three sensors would fail to detect and the route would fail.  I have had a conventional point fail detection because of a twig or leaf mulch, plus the usual ballast. I can only see this mechanism operating in a sterile environment such as a Crossrail tunnel where everything is set in concrete - not in the Great Outdoors.

I suspect this is correct.  Lets await the results of some trials. 
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:12 »

I'm of the school of thought having two engines on an aircraft merely doubles your chance of an engine failure...

I'm with Roger Bacon, late of Flight International (ah!) When someone asked him why he always insisted on travelling in 4-engined aircraft, he replied 'because there are no 5-engined aircraft'.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 12:07:21 »

If there are two horizontal actuators and one vertical, then surely a failure of any one actuator will still mean the switch can't switch (or at least can only move in one direction)? What am I failing to understand and how badly (there's obviously something and I suspect I'm failing it very badly indeed)?

Also, the video mentions that the design of switch used in Britain dates from before Queen Victoria's reign; this implies that other, newer, designs are used elsewhere. Newer isn't necessarily better, but why not look at those?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 12:31:52 »

And yes, do beware those pesky jumping pebbles. 

Try this explanation:
Unlike other switching solutions, locking is provided passively by the position of the rails. The actuators lift the rails out of their lock to move them. Any single actuator is capable of providing this motion and, in the event of an actuator failure, the switch is still locked in place throughout its length.

Or else search for Repoint - but ignore all the stuff about the "stub switch layout", that's an entirely distinct concept that came out of the same project.

I'll repeat what I said before: you could put three modular actuators one a standard sliding switch, and three lock detectors, and I suspect more than one lock too. So most of the claimed advantages are not tied to the one big new thing - passive locking. And yes, do beware those pesky jumping pebbles.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 17:39:22 by TonyK » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 12:48:14 »

So they're not claiming it will still move, just that it will still be locked (and detected as locked, I presume). Understood now (I hope).

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 12:55:48 »

So they're not claiming it will still move, just that it will still be locked (and detected as locked, I presume). Understood now (I hope).

No - they are!!! There are three, identical, redundant, triplicate, actuators, each of which detects lock on both switch rails by virtue of them dropping into their locating slot.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 13:26:04 »

Yes, I understand the locking part. But if any one of those actuators fails, the switch will still move left, right, up and down?

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 13:45:28 »

Yes, I understand the locking part. But if any one of those actuators fails, the switch will still move left, right, up and down?

If any two of those actuators fail the switch will still move it is using an arc so it is a rotating motion to do all the directions. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: