08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 11:11:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[210] A daily picture from my recent travels
[57] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[54] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[47] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[45] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[41] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Final public HSTs from PAD: May 18, 2019
  • Final HST charity special: June 01, 2019
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: My final ride on a full length HST?  (Read 36900 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 17:50:57 »

1. Taunton?  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:40 »

That's a nice looking train. They don't build them like they used to.
(Mind you, I always chuckle when I see the BTF Blue Pullman film - "all the internal finishes in the latest plastics. . . ")
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 17:04:15 »

OK ... I started this thread a couple of days ago thinking I had had my final GWR (Great Western Railway) HST (High Speed Train) ride ... guess what turns up today:

I too am pleased to be wrong, to have found the buffet car on leaving Cardiff, and to be able to relax with my beer on my Thursday evening journey home.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 17:35:42 »

I think I had my last go today - only from Exeter St Dave to Tivvy Parkway.

Now, please!
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 18:25:36 »

I keep thinking that it must be my last HST (High Speed Train) ride, but we got one on the 1648 back from Cardiff again tonight. Unfortunately, the 1548 was cancelled; so I got the classic shot of why HSTs are the best trains on the network:

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 18:40:35 »

Now, I'll admit that's one small thing I will miss. The Friday evening buffet counter crowd. Usually an amenable lot to strike up conversation with, provided they're not on the way to/from rugby, football, races...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 21:18:22 »

Announced today:

FGW (First Great Western) have announced an HST (High Speed Train) farewell tour on June 1st. Tickets seemingly only available at this stage from visiting the Long Rock Open Day and buying there. Running Bristol - Paddington - Oxford - Hereford - Abergavenny - Carmarthen - Paddington via Gloucester then finishing with a fast run to Plymouth. No further details yet on price or estimate times. Details on the Long Rock event page on Facebook.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 21:27:22 »

Any links S&T (Signalling and Telegraph)? Struggling to find a 'Long Rock event page' on FB.

Edit: Found it.

https://m.facebook.com/events/2286768211608751?view=permalink&id=2309197576032481

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 21:32:03 »

Any links S&T (Signalling and Telegraph)? Struggling to find a 'Long Rock event page' on FB.

Edit: Found it.

https://m.facebook.com/events/2286768211608751?view=permalink&id=2309197576032481

Sorry BNM but I don't do FB.  Any chance you could copy and paste it here?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 22:23:08 »

Of course S&T (Signalling and Telegraph). Your wish, my command. The post on the Long Rock Open Day Facebook Page says the following:

HST (High Speed Train) Farewell railtour.
To mark the end of service of the HST on intercity routes into Paddington, there will be a special charity railtour on 1 June 2019. The farewell train will go from Bristol - Paddington - Oxford - Hereford - Abergavenny - Carmarthen - Paddington via Gloucester, then finishing with a non-stop trip to Plymouth.

Tickets for this special farewell tour of the HST on the Western will be going on sale at Long Rock Open Day. Be there to make sure you get your seat on this very special, once in a lifetime trip.

And for those who want tickets to the Long Rock Open Day (still availability as I type):

https://billetto.co.uk/e/gwr-longrock-tmd-open-day-2019-tickets-331021

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 23:35:47 »

Also this may be of interest
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2019/03/great-western-railway-announce-class-43-locomotive-farewell-charity-railtour.html.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 09:09:00 »

1A11 the 0930 from temple meads to paddington this morning is an HST (High Speed Train)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 10:40:49 »

Had a long day in London yesterday - both the Golden Hind (06 53 Plymouth) and the 2103 Pad - Ply were HSTs (High Speed Train).  Treated myself to a really nice breakfast in the diner on the Hind. 

Friday a particularly good day to do this as it is the quietest day of the week for the Hind.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 11:24:37 »

Backs up a point made at a GWR (Great Western Railway) meeting this week (where you were missed Richard). Monday and Friday numbers are down on recent years with many former commuters working from home at the start and/or end of the week. 

Thursday nights have very high traffic levels with Sundays throughout the year also heavily loaded.  Those latter trains are a problem as engineering work often limits the number of trains which can run.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 11:29:39 »

Backs up a point made at a GWR (Great Western Railway) meeting this week (where you were missed Richard). Monday and Friday numbers are down on recent years with many former commuters working from home at the start and/or end of the week. 

Thursday nights have very high traffic levels with Sundays throughout the year also heavily loaded.  Those latter trains are a problem as engineering work often limits the number of trains which can run.

Sunday afternoon services from the South West towards London have been hugely overcrowded for years and are now becoming ridiculous......even worse on "BBQ Sundays" when there are multiple cancellations....best avoided if you value any semblance of comfort/civilised conditions, especially as we approach Easter/summertime. Hopefully the additional capacity offered by IETs (Intercity Express Train) will help, but only if there are drivers to drive them & they're not shortformed.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: