16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 14:36:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Final public HSTs from PAD: May 18, 2019
  • Final HST charity special: June 01, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: My final ride on a full length HST?  (Read 37464 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2019, 09:29:04 »

....I think you might find the waiting room at North Road much more comfortable.... Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2019, 09:36:08 »

....I think you might find the waiting room at North Road much more comfortable.... Grin

in my experience it was less about the comfort, more about the unfortunate aromas...……..I found myself looking under the bed, opening cupboards/doors warily, CSI style, half expecting to find a dead body...….the explanation was that my room was "over the kitchens"...….I cancelled my dinner reservation and headed for Cap'n Jaspers.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2019, 20:39:14 »

A poster on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum has published provisional details of the last HST (High Speed Train) runs on Saturday 18 May 2019:

Saturday 18th May, final day diagrams

0657 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)
1045 PAD SWA» (Swansea - next trains)
1429 SWA PAD
1830 PAD TAU» (Taunton - next trains)
2132 TAU EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)

0729 EXD PAD
1121 PAD GMV
1435 GMV PAD
1815 PAD CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains)

0645 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) SWA
0929 SWA PAD
1330 PAD BRI
1600 BRI PAD
1822 PAD HFD» (Hereford - next trains)

0650 PNZ PAD
1300 PAD BRI
1530 BRI PAD
1803 PAD PLY

Plan is for 1803/1815/1822/1830 departures to be side by side in Paddington Plats1-4.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 10:20:29 »

.....managed to fit in another one....on 0931 Reading-Plymouth!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 19:15:41 »

I fully expect the special to be ticketed such that you can chose specific legs. It just isn't practical to do the whole day unless you are a real diehard/masochistic HST (High Speed Train) fan.

From Facebook

The Flying Banana, Saturday 1st June 2019.
Stage One - Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington via Bath Spa, Chippenham, Swindon, Didcot Parkway, Reading and London Paddington.
Second Stage - London Paddington to London Paddington via Carmarthen. Calling at Reading, Didcot Parkway, Oxford, Moreton-In-Marsh, Worcester Shrub Hill, Hereford, Newport South Wales, Port Talbot Parkway, CARMARTHEN, Swansea, Cardiff Central, Gloucester, Swindon, Didcot Parkway, Reading and London Paddington.
Then the third and final leg will be from London Paddington to Plymouth non-stop.
Tickets will also be valid for use on other GWR (Great Western Railway) services on the date in question to allow attendees to travel to and from the charter in the appropriate class. All the sales will be non-refundable and profits will be donated to Action for Children.
GWR, as part of First Group, is working with Action for Children to support the mental health of the UK (United Kingdom)'s most disadvantaged children.
STD Class - Whole trip all inclusive:
Adult - £148 Child - £74
1st Class? Whole trip all inclusive, with weekend 1st class offering and goodie bag:
Adult - £253 Child - £126.50
Only those named on the ticket will be able to travel, please ensure you carry valid photographic identification for the duration of your journey
GWR cannot take any responsibility for any loss or damage. It's a charity event, Railcards can't be used and the tickets are non-refundable.
Proposed timings and ticket sales for this charter will be released for all calling points on Saturday 13th April 2019 at 0800.
Finally, please read the following carefully:
From 0800 until 1500 on Saturday 13th April 2019 only those with a Long Rock Open Day ticket will be able to purchase tickets. A link to the purchase site will be distributed to the email address that has been provided at point of purchase for the open day. The link will only be valid for the recipient of the original email.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2019, 18:00:30 »

An update on the tickets for the charity railtour on 1st June.

GWR (Great Western Railway) have said that they will be valid on any GWR scheduled services to Bristol Temple Meads on Friday, 31st May, and valid from Plymouth on Sunday 2nd June.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2019, 18:15:27 »

Post Deleted (Duplicated information posted elsewhere by BNM) Tongue
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 18:49:56 by SandTEngineer » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2019, 18:27:50 »

Times for the special(s) now in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).

Already posted here:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21229.msg262172#msg262172

One-all. Tongue Cheesy Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2019, 18:32:12 »

OK, OK.  I'll give you that one.  I've deleted my post above your last one. Roll Eyes
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2019, 16:20:46 »

Tickets now on sale.  Standards only for each of the three legs, standard and first for the whole tour.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-flying-banana-tickets-59925300186?fbclid=IwAR2ZKF9-w8hHEJUByiJMJJb8fkn5kP2mu_Rnnfaxqzc6shJX_5lwKSDVvKc

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2019, 16:52:10 »

Just noticed they have released a few tickets for single legs of the journey

Bristol to Paddington £85
Paddington to Paddington (via Carmarthen) £125
Paddington to Plymouth £100

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2019, 18:59:46 »

I would have gone for first class but sadly they all went yesterday.  17 hours in standard class seems too much of an ordeal, especially if not in a window seat and not knowing the person next to you.

Shame GWR (Great Western Railway) didn't add an extra first class coach, as I'm sure they would have sold it easily. (Yes I know that would have made timings a bit more difficult but I'm sure it could be done.) Or maybe switched a standard to first given there are still quite a few seats available.  I expect out of the limited first seats some have been set aside for the dignitaries. (I'm not saying that is wrong but it will have reduced the number available for ordinary folk.)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 12:49:35 »

Subject to confirmation

GWR (Great Western Railway) have just announced that if you want to travel on the Last HST (High Speed Train) from Paddington you will require a seat reservation ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 13:06:08 »

...and those reservations have opened today.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2019, 15:12:21 »

Just bought my ticket and reserved my seat.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: