19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:40:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Final public HSTs from PAD: May 18, 2019
  • Final HST charity special: June 01, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: My final ride on a full length HST?  (Read 37451 times)
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2019, 09:59:55 »

1A70 Frome to Paddington this morning was advertised as an 8 car and a HST (High Speed Train) duly showed up. Lovely, airy, spacious.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2019, 13:59:37 »

1A70 Frome to Paddington this morning was advertised as an 8 car and a HST (High Speed Train) duly showed up. Lovely, airy, spacious.

Looks like that was HST just for today! According to a Facebook post the HST diagram for the rest of the week starts with 1A71 0451 Plymouth to Paddington.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1129346853914586&set=pcb.539040223287239&type=3&theater&ifg=1
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2019, 17:17:56 »

Down to just three diagrams, all on the WoE line.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2019, 09:38:21 »

One more for me! On the 0931 Reading-Plymouth! All reservations were configured for an IET (Intercity Express Train) however which caused some entertainment!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2019, 09:48:51 »

One more for me! On the 0931 Reading-Plymouth!
Enjoy!
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2019, 11:19:46 »

One more for me! On the 0931 Reading-Plymouth! All reservations were configured for an IET (Intercity Express Train) however which caused some entertainment!

This is 1C74 which is being worked by 43027 and 43191. 43027 has been debranded and is due to go off-lease, and apparently is on this diagram to get it to Laira. So you are on the last timetabled working of 43027!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2019, 11:59:58 »

That may explain the number of spotters en route.

This is 1C74 which is being worked by 43027 and 43191. 43027 has been debranded and is due to go off-lease, and apparently is on this diagram to get it to Laira. So you are on the last timetabled working of 43027!
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2019, 22:31:33 »

Picked up a HST (High Speed Train) at Newton Abbot today. Was the 0647 Penzance- Paddington. I wrote the number down and left it behind but the front engine was named Harry Patch. Bacon Rolls (they don't do bacon croissants) all round.

Saw a 345 Crossrail at Reading arriving at 11.56 on a test run?? Had no passengers.

Return was a 2x5 coach IET (Intercity Express Train) 19.03 ex Paddington-Plymouth. Trolly arrived, double manned, 1hr 43m into journey on approach to Taunton. It arrived from the non-kitchen end. No ticket check on this train.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2019, 15:08:06 »

Picked up a HST (High Speed Train) at Newton Abbot today. Was the 0647 Penzance- Paddington. I wrote the number down and left it behind but the front engine was named Harry Patch.

"Harry Patch - The last survivor of the trenches" is 43172, one of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s "celebrity" power cars. It is due to go into storage once off-lease, and hopefully it will be preserved.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2019, 16:51:32 »

Had my last two "scheduled" HST (High Speed Train) rides over the past two days on a trip from Frome to St Ives. Outward on 1C74 from Castle Cary and return on 1A87. For my onward journey from PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) I chose to wait a short while for the Cornish Riviera, since the immediate connection was a two car 150 (CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-PNZ!) and rammed. Very sensible and I got my first taste of an IET (Intercity Express Train) (2x5). Reasonable impression in standard class and got used to the seats. Catering trolley appeared with two hosts but no hot water due to boiler probs.(Is it so hi-tech?) I was assured there was a trolley in both halves. Also some interesting travelling companions, eg a Syrian refugee with medical issue on his leg en-route to Camborne for a holiday! and two real locals with a magnificent dog.

The return journey also very smooth with a 3 car 158 from St Erth. The incoming HST was quite late into PLY and the catering crew appeared a little flustered. I did get my fine Pullman lunch main course at Tiverton. Regarding previous post, I did not notice any set swap at PLY but had little time to see. I did not note the power car numbers but a poor photo taken when the train was leaving Westbury "appears" to show 43 00X up front. This was an un-named green livery power car.

So two excellent trips as a final memory of West Country HSTs. I was able to secure a ticket for the Charity Special (mid-section) so will also get to enjoy the Cotswolds and South Wales in June. I had expected all tickets to be sold at Long Rock - but many remained around two weeks ago.

rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2019, 11:54:09 »

As someone who, for historical reasons, is always interested in the service provision at Castle Cary, I am intrigued that, in the new timetable, on Saturdays, the 1003 Paddington - Penzance "Cornish Riviera' makes its sole passenger stop between Reading and Exeter at Castle Cary. I am not sure why, as there does not appear to be any logical connection made there, apart from perhaps a 25 minute connection out of a down Weymouth train.

As youngsters we often made the Saturday morning trip to Taunton for the cricket - but that doesn't work without a T**nt*n stop.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2019, 11:47:25 »

I just saw an HST (High Speed Train) heading out of Oxford towards the Cotswold Line - an unexpected working?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2019, 11:55:56 »

I just saw an HST (High Speed Train) heading out of Oxford towards the Cotswold Line - an unexpected working?

Might have been going off lease for storage at Long Marston.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2019, 12:05:39 »

A shuffle of the diagrams apparently, with the root cause being the engineering line closure between Newbury and Bedwyn.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2019, 12:14:20 »

Might have been going off lease for storage at Long Marston.

1W02 1022 Paddington to Hereford, then working
1P65 1513 Hereford to Paddington
1C95 1848 Paddington to Plymouth via Melksham
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: