I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:16:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Final public HSTs from PAD: May 18, 2019
  • Final HST charity special: June 01, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: My final ride on a full length HST?  (Read 36988 times)
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2019, 12:40:53 »

Other HST (High Speed Train) workings for today:

1Z83 1000 Penzance to Paddington via Bristol TM(resolve)
1C22 1630 Paddington to Paignton via Bristol TM
2E57 2044 Paignton to Exeter SD

1Z76 0657 Plymouth to Paddington via Bristol TM
1C12 1130 Paddington to Bristol TM
1A20 1400 Bristol TM to Paddington
1C89 1648 Paddington to Penzance via Swindon and Westbury

Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2019, 20:45:07 »

2+8 GWR (Great Western Railway) HST (High Speed Train) workings for 5th May (subject to change):

1Z78 0835 Plymouth to Paddington via Bristol TM(resolve) (Taunton to Reading non-stop)
1C84 1251 Paddington to Penzance via Bristol TM (Swindon to Taunton non-stop)

1A83 0947 Penzance to Paddington via Westbury, (passing Melksham, Chippenham and Swindon)
1G52 1630 Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
1L94 1946 Cheltenham Spa to Paddington
1C35 Paddington to Bristol TM
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2019, 10:35:34 »

1Z76 0657 Plymouth to Paddington via Bristol TM(resolve)
1C12 1130 Paddington to Bristol TM
1A20 1400 Bristol TM to Paddington
1C89 1648 Paddington to Penzance via Swindon and Westbury

I was out an about on Saturday taking advantage of the closure of the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) line which meant a few more HSTs (High Speed Train) through Swindon and managed to capture the train working three of the four diagrams above

43172 Harry Patch bringing up the rear of 1Z76 near Highworth Junction east of Swindon

43185 Great Western heads up 1A20 having just left Swindon **

As already posted by grahame the set also took a trip through Melksham - for completeness here are a couple I took standing alongside him

** I didn't spend all day standing at Highworth Junction - in between I went to look at some heritage motive power of an earlier era!

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2019, 14:18:25 »

Much to my surprise their was an HST (High Speed Train) on the 1133 Paddington to Carmarthan  today.  When I saw it at Paddington I was hoping that it was booked for the 1130 Paignton - hopes dashed.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2019, 16:22:03 »

Much to my surprise their was an HST (High Speed Train) on the 1133 Paddington to Carmarthan  today.  When I saw it at Paddington I was hoping that it was booked for the 1130 Paignton - hopes dashed.

It's then due to work:
1L90 1655 Carmarthen to Paddington
1C33 2206 Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2019, 07:40:12 »

1A70 Frome to Paddington this morning

And again today.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2019, 18:45:22 »

I'm not normally a train spotter as such, but I couldn't help but notice a HST (High Speed Train) at Exeter St Davids as I was driving past earlier. Later, as I collected  Mrs TK (the brains of the outfit, and formerly Mrs FT,N!) from Tivvy parkway, I noticed a camera set up on the up platform. Were these events related, I wondered?

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2019, 18:47:35 »

What time was that?
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2019, 12:45:09 »

Quote from: bignosemac
Finn and I shall be travelling on the final timetabled service, the 1830 from London Paddington to Taunton. He could well be the last dog to ride a full fat HST (High Speed Train) to the west! If any other forum members are out and about at Paddington, or on the final train, do say hi.

My "last day festivities" started by going to Badminton this morning to take some shots of the 0929 SWA» (Swansea - next trains) PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)

I shall be going down to Bristol early this afternoon then up to Paddington on either the 1530 or 1600 departure, and then coming back on the 1830.

So who do I look out for at Paddington? Someone with a big nose and a dog?!  Grin  I will be the scrawny-looking pensioner with more hair than is probablly good for him at his age  Grin
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2019, 13:19:19 »

From the Railway Performance Society via Twitter
Last Intercity 125 High Speed train update: 1B25 running on one powercar between Swindon and Bristol Parkway - now 15 min late  - max speed 102mph.
Uncertainty as to whether the train will complete its planned diagram including the Last 18.30 Taunton. 

Cannot see the 1830 being swapped for an IET (Intercity Express Train), more likely, if needed, one of the other sets might be swapped.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2019, 14:38:38 »

So who do I look out for at Paddington? Someone with a big nose and a dog?!

That's pretty much it. I'm sporting my grey flat cap today too.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2019, 14:41:51 »

From the Railway Performance Society via Twitter
Last Intercity 125 High Speed train update: 1B25 running on one powercar between Swindon and Bristol Parkway - now 15 min late  - max speed 102mph.
Uncertainty as to whether the train will complete its planned diagram including the Last 18.30 Taunton. 

Cannot see the 1830 being swapped for an IET (Intercity Express Train), more likely, if needed, one of the other sets might be swapped.

That set is now back up to two power cars. Kenny G (43002) has been resurrected.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2019, 15:15:47 »

What time was that?

1530-ish at Tiverton Parkway.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2019, 18:43:50 »

Always a great believer in don't ask, don't get, I approached Dan Panes to see if I could go onto the platform where Sir Kenneth Grange (human version) was doing a photo-call next to Sir Kenneth Grange (Class 43 version). Dan provided me with a press pass and I'm now reporting as a member of this forum on the final service. Dan Panes knows who I am on the forum. My notoriety precedes me. He reminded me of my discription of him on this forum as 'Mark Hopwood's human shield'. He's taken it in good grace though. I suspect if he hadn't he wouldn't have given me the pass.

My thanks also to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Paul Gentleman who has provided me with a seat for invited guests in Coach J next to the buffet. I'm hoping, a little later, to get a few words with Mark Hopwood and Sir Kenneth Grange to relay back here. I'll probably do a quick video interview.

EDIT: There's been some concern raised that it could be seen that I had blagged a guest pass and overstated my connection with the forum. It started with a simple request to Dan Panes if I could photograph Sir Kenneth Grange next to 43002. I then mentioned that I was a member of the Great Western Passengers Forum. More than once I informed Dan & Co that I was neither a moderator nor administrator, just a long time and high post count contributor. I had already paid for my own ticket for the final service. A reserved seat in Standard Class near the  VIPs was offered to me by GWR. Once I had the pass I put it to the use intended by getting an interview with Mark Hopwood and a chat with Sir Kenneth Grange. I also advertised this forum to other invited guests.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. My apologies if anything I did last evening has caused upset or concern. I've removed a picture of me wearing the guest/press pass. That may have been construed as boastful. Spur of the moment. Again, apologies.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:13:09 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Birdie100

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2019, 19:50:54 »

All credit to GWR (Great Western Railway) for a truly wonderful afternoon. Never thought a trip up and return from Slough to Paddington could be such fun! Managed a final bottle of Doom Bar from the buffet car on the way in, and had such fun explaining to bemused ‘regular’ passengers on the 18.22 return why there were so many cameras to see them off! A true delight to see Sir Kenneth Grange hurtle through slough having disembarked (and slammed for the final time) the door on the 90s BR (British Rail(ways)) liveried power car. A fantastic way to send them off after 43 years!

PS the perk of doing all this on a standard Annual Season ticket was worth its weight in gold!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: