Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:27:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: megasightseeing - a destination for "try the train"  (Read 6352 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 19, 2019, 19:28:30 »

I've always been a traveller ... from commuting to school on my own by train from the age of 7 to all line rovers in my teens.  So I'm shocked to come across people living near here who have never been to London in their lives and are worried to try it ... a real 'need' for "try the train".  But what to do to show those people London in a day?   From my data feed ... https://uk.megabus.com/products/london-bus-tour

See London for less when you experience our non-stop bus tour, which will take you to up to 50 of the capital’s most famous sights in the space of just 2 hours.  Prices start from just £1 plus a booking fee.

You’ll be able to get onboard one of our open top double-decker buses in central London every day of the week, every hour between 10:00 and 17:00. And you can start and end your tour from three locations:

The London Eye
Tower of London
Park Lane

Needs to knows:
From 23rd February until 12th April inclusive, tours will operate every hour from the London Eye only. 

Why choose megasightseeing.com for your open top London bus tour?
2-hour tour – you’ll see all of London’s best bits in two hours
Non-stop – we’ll take you through the city, minus the pit-stops
Mega Value – prices start from £1 plus a booking fee, subject to availability
Seat available upstairs – so you get a great view of all of London’s best bits
Easy to use – just get on at your choice of three locations
Book online - you can book online right up to time of departure
Departures every hour – find the time that suits you best
English Commentary – we’ll give you all the fascinating facts about London with a special appearance from Sid.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:09:07 »

It is worth remembering that all this travel is largely a result of the train. Reading William Cobbett he talks about people in Hampshire and Wiltshire who had never been to the next village. Times change.
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:26:54 »

I remember my Godmother talking about the daughter of her neighbour in Alhampton (2 miles north of Castle Cary) who was marrying. "Will she still be local" I asked? "Goodness no, me dear, they are going to live in Hornblotton" (4 miles west of Cary).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:14:47 »

I was amused to get a sponsored advert on Facebook again yesterday from Megasightseeing for

our non-stop bus tour

I question "non-stop" in the first place (it will have to make traffic stops as it goes around), but yesterday saw a demonstration of significant size which, surely, will have gotten in its way!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 16:51:49 »

I was amused to get a sponsored advert on Facebook again yesterday from Megasightseeing for

our non-stop bus tour

I question "non-stop" in the first place (it will have to make traffic stops as it goes around), but yesterday saw a demonstration of significant size which, surely, will have gotten in its way!
Non stop of course meaning no other stops. Everyone boards and leaves at once location, at the start and end of the tour.
There is a legal reason they’re doing this, it means it doesn’t come under regs for stopping services. DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about)/ PSVAR for starters doesn’t apply to tours with just a single pick up and single drop off point!
I don’t know what vehicles they use, full or part open top? Full open top can’t be fully certified Under PSVAR as it can’t have vertical grab rails upstairs. Full open tops require an exemption certificate which costs significant sums, due to lack of upstairs vertical grab bars. It’s why nearly all new open top conversions now are part open top with an enclosed section- the enclosed section has the required vertical  grab bars

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 17:23:50 »

There is a legal reason they’re doing this, it means it doesn’t come under regs for stopping services. DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about)/ PSVAR for starters doesn’t apply to tours with just a single pick up and single drop off point!

I don’t know what vehicles they use, full or part open top? Full open top can’t be fully certified Under PSVAR as it can’t have vertical grab rails upstairs. Full open tops require an exemption certificate which costs significant sums, due to lack of upstairs vertical grab bars. It’s why nearly all new open top conversions now are part open top with an enclosed section- the enclosed section has the required vertical  grab bars

Pictures at these two web sites suggest they have some part open top, and some with just a windscreen and the rest of the top open.
https://cbwmagazine.com/a-mega-tour-de-force/
https://m.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2018/2018-04-23.aspx

Also a reference to one of the buses - type and registration number - which may mean something to those who know something about buses:
ALX400 Sir Christopher Wren 18496 is seen having just circled around Marble Arch to head towards Buckingham Palace.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: