Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:37:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of order TVM - lost passengers  (Read 5170 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 20, 2019, 08:22:27 »

The Ticket Vending Machine (TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)) at [redacted] was Our of Order this morning. No other ticket purchase mean at that station.

Observation ... Mum dropping off pupil to take the train to school - come onto platform to TVM with said pupil, go to machine, see problem.  Discussion ensues between pupil and parent, with parent suggesting pupil pays on train. Pupil resists, citing "will be in trouble'.  Mum appears unhappy, but pupil gets back in car and both drive off - presumaly to next station.

Not once, not twice ... three times.  Three pupils.  Looks like we have a pattern

I know that some youths have a bad reputation and that is then reflected in the eyes of some on all youths - but what a pretty pass that those who want to travel legitimately are put off by the worries of using fallback payment systems, and the suspicion generated.

I told the train manager the TVM was broken as I got on the train and asked if I could buy from him. "Yes, of course" and I say near his rear cab. By the next station where I was getting off, with lots of others, he had only got a third of the way down the first carriage of a 2 carriage train to sell tickets.   I wonder how many people had to suffer the delay as they looked to exit at the next (gated) station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:07 »

I sympathise. We had a period of weeks on end not so long ago when Taplow station was unmanned & the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) was broken constantly. GWR (Great Western Railway) pretty much kicked the can down the road until TfL» (Transport for London - about) took over.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 21:15:44 »

I can understand the child’s reticence. There are many adults who would not be assertive in such situations especially if, for example, the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) had only recently failed and management were unaware of it. If the guard/RPO had a suspicion that they had a fare dodger on their hands, they would tend to “shoot first and ask questions afterwards,” the shot in this case being a penalty fare. I agree that that could be claimed back but not all potential passengers would think that far ahead and, indeed, may have no means of paying a penalty fare on them at the time. This would especially apply to a scholar on their way to school/ college.

I remember 50+ years ago when I was a teenager getting butterflies in the stomach whenever a TTI (As they were known then) appeared even though I always had a valid ticket!

The only way to totally overcome this problem is to staff every station but, of course, that will never happen. Help Points may not be a panacea especially when the train is only a minute or so away so there is no time to use it.

By the way, why the reacted station name? I struggle to see what potential wrong is being put right by the redaction – the story is that a school or college pupil refuses to get on a train without a valid ticket, which is hardly a locking-up offence!!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 22:22:51 »

Might I suggest that we start a "Ticket Vending Machine out of order" thread in "All across the GW (Great Western) territory" section so that we can all report in where we become aware when this occurs?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 22:33:17 »

Might I suggest that we start a "Ticket Vending Machine out of order" thread in "All across the GW (Great Western) territory" section so that we can all report in where we become aware when this occurs?

Journey check has some clues ...

Blackwater: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Bradford-On-Avon: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Bridgwater: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Cheltenham Spa: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Dorking Deepdene: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Melksham: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Trowbridge: Ticket Office Closure
Windsor & Eton Central: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Windsor & Eton Central: Ticket Office Closure

... may be worth an occasional visit to that section under "station updates"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:12 »

Hungerford every time it rains. The TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) is outside and when the touch-screen gets wet, it's game over.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32:21 »

Most kids have smart phones these days. Mine, who are now young adults, simply photograph the broken machine/error screen and get on the train.  All photos are date/time stamped and most are georeferenced. That should help solve most problems.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 00:33:29 »

Coincidentally, there was been news from France on a similar topic only yesterday. The rules about boarding a train with no valid ticket have changed, though I can't find any SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) announcement about it (not unusual, that). There is a new version of The Regulations, in which the section on "regularisation" has been largely rewritten, mostly made simpler, and some facilities removed. The start date for this varies across the network, but is 20th Match for TERs except in Brittany where it was 15th January.

There were and are on-board penalty charges (adding to the fare, I think) at several rates, tiered with distance. Which you pay depends on whether you indicate your presence in advance to the inspector (or guard or whatever), or wait to be asked. But for those boarding at a station not selling tickets, it was possible to buy a ticket for that line on board at the normal fare. From now on that will be at the lowest of the on-board rates -  and that has got the most press reaction.

Interview comments from SNCF have been along the lines that most people without fares are trying to cheat, that most passenger have a pass, that there are now several ways to pay that don't rely on the station being staffed or machined, etc.

One minor point I've not seen commented on is that they will also no longer excess fares at all except for change of class - there was a (rather complex) provision for change of route.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 07:36:29 »

I hear comments that "surely most young travellers have smart phones" and I agree.  But most of them are also taught by their parents to follow the rules. So many (most?) are less than happy where the rules are written at the stations to break the normal routine / mainline rule.  Forum members here are articulate, typically knowledgable, and typically of a social and age profile that train managers and gateline staff will listen to them.  At the other extreme, some younger travellers are nervous / often sheltered and cared through joining the train by a "helicopter" parent, not [yet?] good communicators, and have a social / age look that could lead to quick stereotyping as potential fare evaders.   I can understand older law abiding children's resistance to joining trains without a ticket.

GWR (Great Western Railway) have a very real problem with fare evasion, especially where there's a cluster of stations a short distance apart without gate lines, intermittent staffing only at ticket offices and trains that are no longer through corridors.  Sanctions against younger people who buck the rules and get caught are not (I don't believe) as stringent as those against people a few years older, and there's something of an increased social ranking in some groups where younger people 'get away with it'. 

I'm not really suggesting any magic wand here.  Starting back at the top of the thread, having TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) working all the time would help.   Ironically, having TVMs work only 50% of the time might also work as buying tickets on the train / at the gateline would become routine for the nervous young travellers.  Permit to travel machines are not such a bad idea either - would need, though, to take cash and card these days with all the cash issues that make them labour intensive to run and vandalism prone, added to the electronic complexity.

As we move from "you MAY use a TVM to buy your ticket" through "you SHOULD use a TVM to buy your ticket" and "you NEED to use a TVM to buy your ticket" to "you are breaking the rules if you fail to buy a ticket if a TVM is available", we also need to ensure that the TVM is available at all times, provides everything that's needed, and is easy for every user to understand.  We are, sadly, short on those things that should be ensured.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:39:06 »

Hungerford every time it rains. The TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) is outside and when the touch-screen gets wet, it's game over.

Yes, this is the point. A lot of TVMs don't work when the weather gets even slightly damp. This won't show up on any system reporting broken TVMs, so will be pretty impossible for a passenger to prove to on board staff.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 08:23:09 »

Yes, this is the point. A lot of TVMs don't work when the weather gets even slightly damp. This won't show up on any system reporting broken TVMs, so will be pretty impossible for a passenger to prove to on board staff.

Adding - some TVMs situated in locations where direct sunlight on their screens at certain times of day makes them very difficult (impossible for some people) to use even if they are working and "available", with an opportunity for revenue protection to suggest that you went past a working TVM and didn't buy, so ...

nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 18:20:07 »

I spoke to GWR (Great Western Railway) about poor installation design and consequent unreliability of TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine). I was told that they had a service level agreement in place with a supplier so that any defects would be fixed in 24 hours.

Which is nice, but completely irrelevant, as it has been known to be either wet or sunny continuously for weeks on end.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 20:01:45 »

Other marginal TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) problems I have encountered:

* A working TVM - except the area of the touch screen required for entering the letter "e".

* A TVM that printed the outward portion of the ticket but then stopped with a pink screen.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 22:50:53 »

Journey check has some clues ...

Blackwater: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Bradford-On-Avon: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Bridgwater: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Cheltenham Spa: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Dorking Deepdene: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Melksham: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Trowbridge: Ticket Office Closure
Windsor & Eton Central: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Windsor & Eton Central: Ticket Office Closure

... may be worth an occasional visit to that section under "station updates"

Thanks Grahame - never seen that before!

I use Journey Check on my mobile where I do not seem to be able to obtain this part of the service, whereas I can get all for the Coffee Shop!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 21:37:56 »

Thanks Grahame - never seen that before!

I use Journey Check on my mobile where I do not seem to be able to obtain this part of the service, whereas I can get all for the Coffee Shop!

I think the section may come and go (if there's nothing to report).

To report this evening:

Kemble: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Stroud: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Torre: Lighting Problem
Worle: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Yatton: Ticket Vending Machine problem
Yeovil Pen Mill: Ticket Office Closure

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: