Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:41:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Man dies at Stoke Canon level crossing and related incidents - 28 Mar 2019  (Read 22728 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:22 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/person-dies-after-car-hit-2694158.amp

It looks from RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) to have been the Exeter to Bristol Parkway local stopper
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:30:15 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 10:06:58 »

The National Rail website is currently offering the following brilliant advice:

Alternative travel options:

CrossCountry customers may also use their tickets on the following services:
[...]
Great Western Railway between Penzance and Bristol Temple Meads

[...]

Great Western Railway customers may use their tickets on the following services
[...]
CrossCountry between Penzance and Bristol Temple Meads

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 10:13:36 »

But in fairness I suppose that means that you could use any train between Penzance and Bristol (via the Mule) and not have to wait for a specific train that might be cancelled.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 10:14:59 »

Simply means they’ve removed toc specific restrictions

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 10:16:20 »

The National Rail website is currently offering the following brilliant advice:

Alternative travel options:

CrossCountry customers may also use their tickets on the following services:
[...]
Great Western Railway between Penzance and Bristol Temple Meads

[...]

Great Western Railway customers may use their tickets on the following services
[...]
CrossCountry between Penzance and Bristol Temple Meads

Well yes it is true, its not only going to affect the blocked area, all Intercity trains to Devon and Cornwall orginate from north of Taunton.

If you have a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) ticket between Bristol and Exeter, you can use a GWR (Great Western Railway) divereted via Yeovil, or a GWR RRB (Rail Replacement Bus).  
If you have a GWR ticket between Exeter and Plymouth, you can use a XC train that has been turned short.

Basically, while things are up shit creek, use any train that comes along.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 12:52:36 »

From Devon Live https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-trains-live-cancelled-exeter-2693842

A train ready to leave the station (Image: Penny Cross)

Enter your postcode for local news and info
Enter your postcode
All Devon trains are being cancelled or delayed on Thursday morning as emergency services deal with an incident on the line.

Great Western Railway reports a person has been hit by a train.

All services have been stopped on the line between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton after an incident this morning.

Police and other emergency services are currently at the scene and rail operating companies have told passengers to expect delays.

We will bring you live updates as we get them.

07:01
GWR (Great Western Railway) latest

GWR Help

@GWRHelp
 ⚠️ A person has been hit by a train between #ExeterStDavids and #TivertonParkway and all lines between the two stations are currently blocked. Updates to follow.

6:44 AM - Mar 28, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See GWR Help's other Tweets
06:58
Latest advice

CrossCountry trains

@CrossCountryUK
 Due to the emergency services dealing with an incident between Exeter St Davids and Tiverton Parkway all lines are blocked.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or delayed.

For individual service updates, please see http://journeycheck.com/crosscountry

6:21 AM - Mar 28, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See CrossCountry trains's other Tweets
06:57
All trains stopped
GWR says a person has been hit by a train

PHBT was in a car
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 13:32:26 »

Thank goodness the set remained railed. Always a worry considering what happened at Ufton Nervet.

Thoughts of course with the family of the deceased and with the crew of the set involved.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 13:35:57 »

Welcome back James, despite the circumstances.

I believe the problem at Ufton Nervet was the train derailed on a set of points immediately after the crossing at the entrance to the goods loop.   Thankfully at Stoke Canon the crossing is on a piece of plain line.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 14:16:08 »

Looks like it’s being  linked to various other incidents in Devon involving the railway this morning.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/man-20s-killed-live-exeter-2695637

Police have confirmed a man in his early 20s died after a car was hit by a train in Devon on Thursday morning.

British Transport Police say a 23-year-old man from Exeter was pronounced dead at the scene at a level crossing in Stoke Canon on Thursday morning.

His family have been informed, and the death is not currently being treated as suspicious, however officers continue to make inquiries to establish the full circumstances leading to the vehicle and man being struck by a train.

Police say that following this incident, three further incidents were brought to the attention of officers within the proximity of Stoke Canon.

This includes a train striking objects at Newton St Cyres and at Crannaford, as well as a line-side fire at Eggesford.

All four incidents are being treated as linked, although at this time officers are not tracing anyone else in connection.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 14:26:47 »

Not wishing to speculate but Stoke Cannon is a full barrier level crossing controlled by CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) from Exeter Panel. So if a car is involved then it must have been a very deliberate action or a very unfortunate set of circumstances just outside the barriers, and that would explain the long line closure.  The train involved was one of the GTi sets.

The photographs emerging show no damage to the level crossing equipment.  I therefore suspect (and its just my own opinion) that the car was driven off the level crossing when the barriers were up, onto the tracks outside of the range of the level crossing CCTV system.  Time will tell.  I think we were very lucky the train didn't derail as it appears to have pushed the car nearly half a mile along the track before coming to rest.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 15:27:27 »

The incidents are now all being linked by the BTP (British Transport Police) and reported in the press. Scenes of crime officers are at the various locations and BTP have stated they are not looking for anyone else.

Mods, I think it safe to merge this topic with the one covering the incident at Stoke Canon LC (Level Crossing).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 15:35:27 »

I agree with merging the two, but shall have to let someone else do it. I am at a hotel at Heathrow with only tablet or phone to connect.
There are also a couple of new posts in the Eggesford Station thread that are relevant.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 15:56:17 »

I agree with merging the two, but shall have to let someone else do it. I am at a hotel at Heathrow with only tablet or phone to connect.
There are also a couple of new posts in the Eggesford Station thread that are relevant.

Thanks for that challenge ... I have merged today's two new threads (you are reading the merged thread here) an I'm going to add a note that the Eggesford comments are at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2227.msg261337#msg261337 ... I will add a link there to here.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 17:34:36 »

Not wishing to speculate but Stoke Cannon is a full barrier level crossing controlled by CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) from Exeter Panel. So if a car is involved then it must have been a very deliberate action or a very unfortunate set of circumstances just outside the barriers, and that would explain the long line closure.  The train involved was one of the GTi sets.

The photographs emerging show no damage to the level crossing equipment.  I therefore suspect (and its just my own opinion) that the car was driven off the level crossing when the barriers were up, onto the tracks outside of the range of the level crossing CCTV system.  Time will tell.  I think we were very lucky the train didn't derail as it appears to have pushed the car nearly half a mile along the track before coming to rest.

Your theory is identical to mine!

The deceased also appears to have had  internal knowledge.

Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 18:38:16 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight has run this as the lead item, with footage from the scene including the train. Once the programme has finished it will be available on iplayer for 24 hours.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: