Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:11:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The capacity of The Mule  (Read 5375 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:26:42 »

Seeing engineering diversions because of Whiteball tunnel (and other diversions at times too) and hearing about line and service capacity issues on "The Mule" from Exeter to Salisbury - issues with Devon Metro and how far east it can go, and seeing suggestions of running 2 trains per hour from Salisbury to Yeovil ... can someone (and I suspect we have a member or two who know this really well!) fill us in on what can run on "The Mule" and what is an overload.

I suppose the operational points (at which trains can turn around and / or branch off) are ...

Exeter St David's
Exeter Central
St Jame's Park
Exmouth Junction
Honiton
Axminster
Yeovil Junction
Salisbury

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:46 »

From my years of living and working in Africa, that is a lightly loaded mule - I am sad to say.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 14:08:33 »

You could add Chard Junction as a turnaround location, but as there is no station there (currently) it would mostly be empty stock movements, but the signalling does allow reversal of passenger movements if required.  The current signalling also allows reversals in both directions at Crewekerne.

In a former role we once looked at redoubling much more of the line or providing additional loops (one in particular in the Crannaford area) and additional intermediate signals.  Think I still have a copy of the feasibility report in my archive (garage).  Looking back that was in 1995, so nothing new then...... Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 14:35:40 »

You could add Chard Junction as a turnaround location, but as there is no station there (currently) it would mostly be empty stock movements, but the signalling does allow reversal of passenger movements if required.  The current signalling also allows reversals in both directions at Crewekerne.

In a former role we once looked at redoubling much more of the line or providing additional loops (one in particular in the Crannaford area) and additional intermediate signals.  Think I still have a copy of the feasibility report in my archive (garage).  Looking back that was in 1995, so nothing new then...... Roll Eyes

Thank you. Now would your former role and expertise be able to help clarify headway / trains per hour through each logical section of the line. Pretty please  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 14:42:56 »

Thank you. Now would your former role and expertise be able to help clarify headway / trains per hour through each logical section of the line. Pretty please  Wink

Oh, all right then.  It will be after this weekend though, providing thats not too late for you?
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 16:01:12 »

At the SERUG meeting on Tuesday Andrew Ardley gave some insight into the ideas being bounced around for the future. As part of the Devon Metro idea there will have to be an additional loop between Pinhoe and Honiton. Also additional resilience for GWR (Great Western Railway) diversions, including additional section signals between Castle Cary and Yeovil Pen Mill.

Much of this can be seen in the following link (p111-113 for WoE)

https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Wessex-Route-Study-Final-210815-1.pdf

Additional passing loops to the east of Yeovil will be dependent on the type of traction being used in the future. At the same meeting Ian Warmsley pointed out that demanding new trains now would result in bimodes. Delaying to see how the route was developed might, just might, allow electrification to be factored in. He then went on to say that the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s dislike of 3rd rail needs to be reviewed. He has an article on this in the current Modern Railways, to which the ORR has demanded a reply.
In addition, with the number of vehicles coming off lease in the coming months these should be some very competitive leasing rates available. Indeed Warmsley quotes one fleet manager who would let them out for a very basic fee just to remove storage costs.
chopper1944

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 16:06:44 »

The answer is to redouble the line completely between Castle Cary, Yeovil Pen Mill, Yeovil Junction and all the way to Exeter
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 16:14:53 »

It's a pity that the botched new platform and pseudo-heritage horror inflicted on Templecombe constrains potential options there.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 16:19:41 »

Oh, all right then.  It will be after this weekend though, providing thats not too late for you?

Thank you - this is in the "useful and important data" category and not the "urgent - travel this weekend" one!

The answer is to redouble the line completely between Castle Cary, Yeovil Pen Mill, Yeovil Junction and all the way to Exeter

Technicallity - was it even double between Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction?

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 17:11:13 »

There was double track between Yeovil Junction and Yeovil Town with double track crossovers between the two lines where they ran parallel. Tthis was controlled by a signal box which was only opened when the connection needed to be used

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 17:13:44 »

The link between Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction was definitely double track in the past.

1903 25" OS (Ordnance Survey) map:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/106008477

1962 6" OS maps
https://maps.nls.uk/view/189241608
https://maps.nls.uk/view/189241593

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 18:43:12 »

The link was installed in WWII (World War 2 - 1939 to 1945) to facilitate military movements. Yeovil South Junction opened in 1943.

It is not only Templecombe that has limitations imposed. At Crewkerne the up platform was extended outwards to increase clearances for passengers passing under road bridge as well as reducing the height difference between platform and train. This was done in readiness for the Cl 159.
Now they have sold off the down goods yard for housing so have nowhere to reintroduce double track without a great deal of work.
The car park is at capacity most days and SWR» (South Western Railway - about) has plans to site a new one in the field on the opposite side of the road.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 18:56:38 »

I should have been clearer with my previous post. There were double tracks down the bank from Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Town. That would mean that the earthworks should support a double track link back to Yeovil Pen Mill.

Redoubling lines is never straightforward though. Particularly after many years of the remaining line running along the centre of the formation.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 19:11:24 »

At the SERUG meeting on Tuesday Andrew Ardley gave some insight into the ideas being bounced around for the future. As part of the Devon Metro idea there will have to be an additional loop between Pinhoe and Honiton. Also additional resilience for GWR (Great Western Railway) diversions, including additional section signals between Castle Cary and Yeovil Pen Mill.

Much of this can be seen in the following link (p111-113 for WoE)

https://cdn.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Wessex-Route-Study-Final-210815-1.pdf

Additional passing loops to the east of Yeovil will be dependent on the type of traction being used in the future. At the same meeting Ian Warmsley pointed out that demanding new trains now would result in bimodes. Delaying to see how the route was developed might, just might, allow electrification to be factored in. He then went on to say that the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s dislike of 3rd rail needs to be reviewed. He has an article on this in the current Modern Railways, to which the ORR has demanded a reply.
In addition, with the number of vehicles coming off lease in the coming months these should be some very competitive leasing rates available. Indeed Warmsley quotes one fleet manager who would let them out for a very basic fee just to remove storage costs.

I could of saved them a lot of money and pulled the 1995 study out of my archive...... Grin
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 20:11:40 »

Is it me having a selective memory or have there been more late notice diversions along the Honiton route in recent months?

I’m wondering if it is down to closer working between fellow First Group companies GWR (Great Western Railway) and SWR» (South Western Railway - about).

Obviously the fact there have been planned diversions in recent times means it’s easier to ensure crew have the necessary route knowledge but just seems to happen more often.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: