08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
18:23 London Paddington to Banbury
19:45 Banbury to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:53:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] A daily picture from my recent travels
[61] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[53] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[51] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[46] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[43] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Access Application - London to Cardiff (28/03/2019)  (Read 49100 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2019, 16:25:14 »

When there’s a problem east of Reading, the Oxford-Paddington services are usually amongst the first to be cancelled, along with the Bedwyn-Paddington’s and, as mentioned, the Cardiff-Paddington’s.  They are the three least disruptive to lose.

I can see the two Bristol-Paddington fast trains via Parkway joining that list after they are introduced.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2019, 20:52:55 »

When there’s a problem east of Reading, the Oxford-Paddington services are usually amongst the first to be cancelled, along with the Bedwyn-Paddington’s and, as mentioned, the Cardiff-Paddington’s.  They are the three least disruptive to lose.

Just to be clear II - do these go entirely? If so, surely it would be better to start and terminate these services at Reading, so that passengers could change there. And does this mean those of us who use the stopping services lose them as well, or is it just the Inter Cities from these locations that go? If the former, even more strong case for stopping services to start and finish at Reading, so we do not lose a substantial proportion of our rail service
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2019, 10:25:45 »

The Bedwyn’s usually start/terminate at Reading and the others cancelled throughout.  Oxford-Paddington still usually runs hourly as the trains from the Cotswold Line still run.  Stoppers generally run, but it depends where the problem is, which lines are affected and how badly they are affected.  GWR (Great Western Railway)/Network Rail have various strategies depending on the problem.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 11:03:25 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I've heard a rumour that the Severn Tunnel is to be de-electrified.

IETs (Intercity Express Train) OK, Class 91 stymied.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2019, 11:38:06 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I've heard a rumour that the Severn Tunnel is to be de-electrified.

This relates to the corrosion problems discovered in the tunnel on the overhead equipment only 4 years after installation. A solution is still being looked at but I've seen quotes here and in the general news media that suggest de-electrification is an option being looked at by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).
I keep my hopes up here by having a lot more belief in the abilities of the railway engineering community than in the DfT.*

*Yes, it looks like an engineering issue was the cause of this but this tunnel apparently presented previously unencountered challenges due to it's unusual conditions.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:44:22 by johnneyw » Logged
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2019, 12:32:29 »

This relates to the corrosion problems discovered in the tunnel on the overhead equipment only 4 years after installation. A solution is still being looked at but I've seen quotes here and in the general news media that suggest de-electrification is an option being looked at by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).
I keep my hopes up here by having a lot more belief in the abilities of the railway engineering community than in the DfT.*

*Yes, it looks like an engineering issue was the cause of this but this tunnel apparently presented previously unencountered challenges due to it's unusual conditions.

Build a Second Severn Tunnel then, they did it for the bridge.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2019, 20:16:34 »

Oooo's gonna pay for it? Grin

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2019, 20:34:23 »

Same as whats paying for HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), the taxpayer.
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2019, 21:31:23 »

Could a railway be cantilevered off the Prince of Wales bridge?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2019, 21:40:34 »

Could a railway be cantilevered off the Prince of Wales bridge?

Ha ha ha!  Grin Grin Grin

Hang on, though - it could work. It might be easier to cantilever an extra lane of car traffic either side and lay track down the middle but...

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2019, 14:38:18 »

Additionally, wouldn't a 2nd tunnel still have the same corrosion problems to resolve as the first one?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2019, 16:17:46 »

Additionally, wouldn't a 2nd tunnel still have the same corrosion problems to resolve as the first one?

No, cos the new tunnel would be built learning the lessons of the original, digging it deeper for a start and lining it with concrete sections like the channel tunnel and other undersea tunnels on this planet of ours.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:32:20 by martyjon » Logged
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2019, 20:37:50 »

Isn't the current position that electric services to Cardiff will likely begin before the problems in the tunnel have been solved, rather than they are thinking of giving up on electrifying through it?  Although the impact on IET (Intercity Express Train) services might be negligible, I think it would be hugely embarrassing if Network Rail (and the company who supplied the kit) can't come up with a plan.

I wonder if it's practical to "waterproof" the tunnel roof in the leakiest sections?  If the water entered through the lower parts of the wall it presumably wouldn't be a problem.  About half the length of the tunnel isn't even under the Severn Estuary.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2019, 17:34:24 »

Isn't the current position that electric services to Cardiff will likely begin before the problems in the tunnel have been solved, rather than they are thinking of giving up on electrifying through it?  Although the impact on IET (Intercity Express Train) services might be negligible, I think it would be hugely embarrassing if Network Rail (and the company who supplied the kit) can't come up with a plan.

From Network Rail with my bolding:

Once complete, the major modernisation work will enable Intercity Express Trains to run between London and Cardiff on electricity

Looks like passing through the Severn Tunnel on diesel after completion of the project is not an option.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2019, 15:25:52 »

From Transport Extra

Grand Union Trains has revealed that its proposed open access passenger service between London and South Wales could convey light freight, with a parcel hub created at one or more of the stations served.

The company also proposes to invest in additional car parking and improved road access at Severn Tunnel Junction, which serves Monmouthshire, South Gloucestershire and East Newport.

Article continues, mostly behind a paywall

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: